Reload this Page >

5-6 nts in central eastern Italy

Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold

My wife and I are planning a trip through Italy in early November. We've been to Rome several times so we're avoiding it.

This is the proposed itinerary and we'd appreciate any input (better/hidden destinations).

Arriving from Bastia, Corsica arriving into Livorno in the early evening.
I presume the port city isn't very nice so it there some place nearby to stay? We'll be driving and will have a computer-based GPS for navigation (served us well over 27,000 Km of driving).

Planning to stay 1 nt each in Saturnia (free hot springs and a great restaurant) and Sovana (old Etruscan town) - both very close to each other.

Wife then wants to stay 2 nts near Castel Gandolfo and then we'll drive to FCO, return the car and fly to MLA (1055, alas no status on AZ/ST).

Tivoli and Hadrian's Palace: Went in February 2003 but it was cloudy. I imagine early/mid-November won't be much better on average?

Any issues with allowing 1 hr from Castel Gandolfo to FCO, and 1 1/2 hrs to refuel/return car?

Seen Ostia Antica and don't feel compelled to return.

Thanks
Old Jun 7, 2015, 2:38 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
My wife and I are planning a trip through Italy in early November. We've been to Rome several times so we're avoiding it.

This is the proposed itinerary and we'd appreciate any input (better/hidden destinations).

Arriving from Bastia, Corsica arriving into Livorno in the early evening.
I presume the port city isn't very nice so it there some place nearby to stay? We'll be driving and will have a computer-based GPS for navigation (served us well over 27,000 Km of driving).

Planning to stay 1 nt each in Saturnia (free hot springs and a great restaurant) and Sovana (old Etruscan town) - both very close to each other.

Wife then wants to stay 2 nts near Castel Gandolfo and then we'll drive to FCO, return the car and fly to MLA (1055, alas no status on AZ/ST).

Tivoli and Hadrian's Palace: Went in February 2003 but it was cloudy. I imagine early/mid-November won't be much better on average?

Any issues with allowing 1 hr from Castel Gandolfo to FCO, and 1 1/2 hrs to refuel/return car?

Seen Ostia Antica and don't feel compelled to return.

Thanks
I'd leave an absolute minimum of 90 minutes if not more; (2 hours?). If there's a snarl up on the Grande Raccordo Annulare you could be seriously delayed. And you never know how efficient the car rental companies are going to process your return if they're particularly busy.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Up In The Air
I'd leave an absolute minimum of 90 minutes if not more; (2 hours?). If there's a snarl up on the Grande Raccordo Annulare you could be seriously delayed. And you never know how efficient the car rental companies are going to process your return if they're particularly busy.
Would it be any different on a Saturday in November? I imagine the roads will be quieter. Car rental company would seem to be Hertz. Haven't returned a car at FCO in 8 years. Still hectic and slow?
Old Jun 18, 2015, 6:46 pm

I've never waited more than 5-10 minutes to return a car at Hertz (based on more than 15 rentals over the last 2 -3 years). Also, the GRA on a Saturday morning should be free. Only potential problem would be an accident and unless you know the local roads, this would be hard to avoid. Of course, your computer-based GPS would be extremely helpful if this were the case. Thus, 90 min. from Castel Gandolfo to FCO should be plenty but, as we all know, sh.. happens!

Last edited by KLouis; Jun 18, 2015 at 6:57 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.