Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Help planning trip.

Help planning trip.

Old May 20, 2015, 2:32 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
No problem to drive around Italy, in fact is the way to go for a party of 4.
You'll enjoy the real country and each region's countryside own flavor.

Just don't push it into major city centers, as said.
Little homework will get you great rewards. Look for some park and ride ("parcheggio di interscambio") generally found in the outskirts or highway exits and connect onto a tram/bus/train to the center.
Once there you can do pretty much you need by foot or on a short taxi ride for the elder relative.
No Italian city is so large to make a car really necessary, at least by a visitor point of view.
Rome is particularly car unfriendly, perpetually clogged due its urban structure, insufficient public transport and social habit for which everything beyond 300mt. walk is considered Everest climbing worthy effort.
No to mention the hefty parking fees (by the hour) along the city streets. So...a car in Rome is no-no.
Old May 20, 2015, 7:47 am

Originally Posted by JMN57
If this sounds preachy, apologies but I do think you can drive around Italy and have a fabulous time doing it and at a reasonable price if you take advantage of the mobility the car brings you.
OP has stated they will be driving their own car and that Rome is a must do. I'm really trying to come up with something that will make Rome with a car as hassle-free as possible. It'd be a lot easier to stay in a hotel near the center, but it's a matter of finding cheap parking further out, near public transport, to get in. I have family in Rome, but none of them have cars, so they're no help.
Old May 20, 2015, 8:26 am

Here's some possible options for Rome.

There are lots near Roma Ostiense, looks like under 10 EUR a day, but I've never done it. Can't vouch for the safety of the lot. Easy access to rail into the center, as well as the highway.

Park at the FCO economy lot for ~10 EUR a day. Shuttle to terminals, Leonardo Express to Termini. It might be a little far out, but it's cheap and with direct access to the train. Relatively secure (airport parking) and close to the highway.
Old May 20, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Here's a list of parking lots: http://www.060608.it/en/trasporti/parcheggi

Arriving from north the #10 adjoining the Auditorium concert hall might be of OP's interest.
Old May 20, 2015, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

thanks...

Everyone, much thanks for all the strong information provided by each and everyone of you, thanks.

After going back and forth with wife, brother and mother in law, we have made the following decision:

We will fly from Basel airport to Rome on easyjet. Stay in Rome for 3 nights - 4 days. It will be be "easier" on the baby and mother in law, so we don't spend countless hours in and out of the car.

It was not my choice, I would rather drive around and get to know many cities, but, as said, Rome was non negotiable, and they were all fine with going "just" to Rome.

So we're driving from Zug to Basel Airport and leaving our car parked there, its relatively cheap (50-60chf) for the entire 4 days. (taking a train there would be very expensive for all of us...) and it is best to fly from there than ZRH because its a cheaper overall price (would be 900chf for us all from ZRH and will be only 505chf from basel), also I rather not fly an embraer, and last but not least, i like the times offered better too.. so win win in that scenario.

Now, I am off to researching the best transfer options from the airport to a hotel, and a hotel itself. Would be great if its very child oriented, and or close to a playground for kids and the vatican.. i guess I can find tons of info, and will start my research on it tonight...

Thanks again everyone for all the input. Didn't turn out to be how I wanted, but as most of you pointed out, It seems better/cheaper to do this way than my way...
Old May 21, 2015, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedRobin
Everyone, much thanks for all the strong information provided by each and everyone of you, thanks.

After going back and forth with wife, brother and mother in law, we have made the following decision:

We will fly from Basel airport to Rome on easyjet. Stay in Rome for 3 nights - 4 days. It will be be "easier" on the baby and mother in law, so we don't spend countless hours in and out of the car.

It was not my choice, I would rather drive around and get to know many cities, but, as said, Rome was non negotiable, and they were all fine with going "just" to Rome.

So we're driving from Zug to Basel Airport and leaving our car parked there, its relatively cheap (50-60chf) for the entire 4 days. (taking a train there would be very expensive for all of us...) and it is best to fly from there than ZRH because its a cheaper overall price (would be 900chf for us all from ZRH and will be only 505chf from basel), also I rather not fly an embraer, and last but not least, i like the times offered better too.. so win win in that scenario.

Now, I am off to researching the best transfer options from the airport to a hotel, and a hotel itself. Would be great if its very child oriented, and or close to a playground for kids and the vatican.. i guess I can find tons of info, and will start my research on it tonight...

Thanks again everyone for all the input. Didn't turn out to be how I wanted, but as most of you pointed out, It seems better/cheaper to do this way than my way...
Old May 21, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I understand not wanting to spend long hours in the car. I just want to say that the driving restricted zones are easy to avoid. I went to Italy last summer and rented a car. I drove from Rome to Ravenna to Venice to (eventually) Florence and back to Rome. I had hotels in restricted zones. At each hotel except Venice (where I parked in one of the parking garages), the hotel alerted the police with my license plate number and so I avoided tickets. The only near call I had was in Rome returning the rental car. The return wasn't clearly marked and the gps said it was a left turn, which was marked as restricted. So I turned right thinking I'd find a parking place and look on foot and saw the return just down the road (on the right).

So, don't be put off by scares about the restricted zones.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:30 am
Original Poster

tour suggestion

Hello everyone,

Trip time almost here, wanted to get some quick input on tour suggestions for the Vatican. Anyone has a good operator, or some other suggestion, please? ideally in Portuguese.

thanks
Old Jun 24, 2015, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by manneca
I understand not wanting to spend long hours in the car. I just want to say that the driving restricted zones are easy to avoid. I went to Italy last summer and rented a car. I drove from Rome to Ravenna to Venice to (eventually) Florence and back to Rome. I had hotels in restricted zones. At each hotel except Venice (where I parked in one of the parking garages), the hotel alerted the police with my license plate number and so I avoided tickets. The only near call I had was in Rome returning the rental car. The return wasn't clearly marked and the gps said it was a left turn, which was marked as restricted. So I turned right thinking I'd find a parking place and look on foot and saw the return just down the road (on the right).

So, don't be put off by scares about the restricted zones.
how much did each garage cost?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.