Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Fire in Rome FCO / Fiumicino airport terminal 3 (06 May 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fire in Rome FCO / Fiumicino airport terminal 3 (06 May 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2015, 10:58 am

From the train station you'd need to take the T3-T5 shuttle bus; that schedule isn't something I'd consider.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by rove312
From the train station you'd need to take the T3-T5 shuttle bus; that schedule isn't something I'd consider.
I agree, I didn't know about having to bus to T5 since I've never flown out of it. I try to avoid US carriers since there are so many better options from Europe.

Luckily I found award space on LX (in J!) FLR-ZRH-BOS. I've had this trip planned for a while, but we only had a 90 minute connection scheduled through CDG which I'm concerned may not be enough in the current security environment - easier to avoid CDG and AF entirely for now, from a connecting travel perspective.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I didn't want to start a new thread, but hoping anyone with recent experience can weigh in.

I'm considering flying the AA FCO-PHL flight at 11:35AM. How early do I need to be at the airport these days? Would arriving by train at 9:52 cut it, ignoring the potential for train delays? Or is ~1:45 not enough? I realize the train is a huge wildcard given that it departs from Venice earlier that morning, but let's ignore that part for now.
You should be at FCO by 8:35 am--three hours ahead of departure. If you got there only 2 hours ahead, it is possible you would miss the plane. You have to get from the train terminal, down to street level, wait for the shuttle to your terminal (a few minutes), ride to the terminal (another couple of minutes), and then go through long lines for check-in and security (could take an hour or longer) before you get in yet another line to board the shuttle out to the gates, and then you have to go upstairs and find your gate. It is FCO that recommends arriving 3 hours before departure, and at some point, they will just decline to do a check-in, especially if you are checking bags, because there is heavy security for checked bags to go through, too. I hope this helps.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Joanna2360
...It is FCO that recommends arriving 3 hours before departure, and at some point, they will just decline to do a check-in, especially if you are checking bags, because there is heavy security for checked bags to go through, too. I hope this helps.
What do you mean by "just decline to do a check-in"? If they haven't closed the flight they can't decline. Most airlines I've flown (~100) in most airports I've flown from (~200) list a "latest check-in time" for a given airport and they are obliged to check-in anybody who gets to the counter before that time.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 12:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Yes, that was badly phrased--mea culpa. They say to be at FCO 3 hours in advance. The cut-off for checking bags is one hour, according to American, and then your are supposed to be at the gate 30 minutes ahead of departure. However, last time I checked bags, it still took an hour (one full hour) to go through security and passport control, and I was in the speed line for security. Then there was the wait for the bus out to the gates. It was slow going even before the fire.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:13 am

Just to close out the issue, I won't be flying out of FCO. I did arrive there yesterday and will say that at least the arrivals and pre-security side of T3 looks great. We got in, bags arrived quickly (from AZ 615) and we hung out for a couple of hours in the upstairs market area until our 11am train.

We're departing from FLR. That's a small, easy airport and is usually our choice for getting in and out of Italy.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 7:11 pm

I didn't know you could get a TATL flight in FLR! Or do you fly via another European airport? But I agree, FLR is great for both arrivals and departures, unless there is no taxi at all, like last time I landed there, and you're missing your train.

PS Hey, they do take care of you in Italy, the train was 40 minutes late, I made it!
Old Dec 7, 2015, 3:26 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Seems this thread is turning into a general thread about airports in Italy...

I would suggest to close this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.