Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Fire in Rome FCO / Fiumicino airport terminal 3 (06 May 2015)

Fire in Rome FCO / Fiumicino airport terminal 3 (06 May 2015)

Old Jun 2, 2015, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Lkeade
We fly out of FCO on May 28th. Our flight was scheduled to leave from Terminal 3 and I confirmed the flight that morning. After having the town car drop us off at T3, we were informed that we were flying out of T5. We had to catch the shuttle bus, as did all the other people on the shuttle. T3 smelled of smoke and all of the workers were wearing face masks.
Can I ask what airline you were on?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:46 pm

Air Canada
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:07 pm
SMD

Any FCO Updates?

Flying in Saturday June 13 on Delta, connecting to Alitalia to SUF five hours later. It appears they are scaling back operations. Any idea what to expect? Is the KLM/SkyTeam Lounge open?

June 11 2015

12:30 pm

In consequence of the gradual reduction of the number of incoming flights and of operations at Terminal 3-Departures decided by ENAC, Aeroporti di Roma has created a task force dedicated to passengers.

The staff, both circulating in the airport and at dedicated desks, will help travellers by giving indications and information on the services. One team will be deployed at the railway station, to welcome and direct passengers ever since their arrival at the airport by train.

During the period of reduced operations at Terminal 3-Departures some flights will be progressively rescheduled on other Terminals: T2, T2, T5, which will remain open 24/7 and will be linked by an improved shuttle bus service.
Operations at the Arrival area of Terminal 3 will remain unchanged and regular.

We suggest passengers to contact their airline operators in advance, so as to check the status and schedule of their flight.

June 10 2015

08:40 pm

ENAC: gradual reduction in operations at Rome Fiumicino airport starting from 12.00 pm of Friday 12 June.
Operations will pass from 80% to 60% - Terminal 3 departures will progressively be closed.
The National Civil Aviation Body informed that, in agreement with the Prefect of Rome, and considering the indications related to possible problems of public order, operative capacity at Rome Fiumicino will be progressively reduced for a few days from 80% to 60% of the normal operations level for this period, also in order to reduce inconveniences for passengers.
The reduction will begin at midnight of Friday 12 June 2015, that is, at 00.01 am of Saturday 13 June.
At the same time, Terminal 3 of Fiumicino Airport will also start reducing operations until a complete stop for all activities related to departing passengers.
The decision has been made after the Airport management company Aeroporti di Roma, ADR, expressed the need to reduce and limit operations at Terminal 3 as a precautionary measure, so as to ensure a regular and safe operational management, which might be compromised instead should the currently usable areas be congested or overcrowded. We would like to remind that, in fact, Pier D of the terminal has been put under sequestration by the Public Prosecutor's Office of Civitavecchia, in charge for the investigations on the fire that affected a part of the airport last 7 May.
ENAC, in requesting the management company to make sure that airline carriers provide users with correct information, also renewed its suggestion for passengers leaving from or arriving at Rome Fiumicino to contact airline operators to check the status and schedule of their flights.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by SMD
Flying in Saturday June 13 on Delta, connecting to Alitalia to SUF five hours later. It appears they are scaling back operations. Any idea what to expect? Is the KLM/SkyTeam Lounge open?

June 11 2015

12:30 pm

In consequence of the gradual reduction of the number of incoming flights and of operations at Terminal 3-Departures decided by ENAC, Aeroporti di Roma has created a task force dedicated to passengers.

The staff, both circulating in the airport and at dedicated desks, will help travellers by giving indications and information on the services. One team will be deployed at the railway station, to welcome and direct passengers ever since their arrival at the airport by train.

During the period of reduced operations at Terminal 3-Departures some flights will be progressively rescheduled on other Terminals: T2, T2, T5, which will remain open 24/7 and will be linked by an improved shuttle bus service.
Operations at the Arrival area of Terminal 3 will remain unchanged and regular.

We suggest passengers to contact their airline operators in advance, so as to check the status and schedule of their flight.

June 10 2015

08:40 pm

ENAC: gradual reduction in operations at Rome Fiumicino airport starting from 12.00 pm of Friday 12 June.
Operations will pass from 80% to 60% - Terminal 3 departures will progressively be closed.
The National Civil Aviation Body informed that, in agreement with the Prefect of Rome, and considering the indications related to possible problems of public order, operative capacity at Rome Fiumicino will be progressively reduced for a few days from 80% to 60% of the normal operations level for this period, also in order to reduce inconveniences for passengers.
The reduction will begin at midnight of Friday 12 June 2015, that is, at 00.01 am of Saturday 13 June.
At the same time, Terminal 3 of Fiumicino Airport will also start reducing operations until a complete stop for all activities related to departing passengers.
The decision has been made after the Airport management company Aeroporti di Roma, ADR, expressed the need to reduce and limit operations at Terminal 3 as a precautionary measure, so as to ensure a regular and safe operational management, which might be compromised instead should the currently usable areas be congested or overcrowded. We would like to remind that, in fact, Pier D of the terminal has been put under sequestration by the Public Prosecutor's Office of Civitavecchia, in charge for the investigations on the fire that affected a part of the airport last 7 May.
ENAC, in requesting the management company to make sure that airline carriers provide users with correct information, also renewed its suggestion for passengers leaving from or arriving at Rome Fiumicino to contact airline operators to check the status and schedule of their flights.
I'm also interested to know if there are any updates too, I'm traveling on AZ for LAX-FCO-BCN, with a transit time of 1:15 at FCO. Are AZ non-Schengen arrivals still coming into T3, or are they going to the place those flights with all of the others?
Old Jun 15, 2015, 4:12 am

Programs: UA~AA~HH~Hyatt~WN
We flew easyjet into FCO from GTW on June 10th. We were delayed from takeoff by almost 3 hours, though this was due to a maintenance issue according to our pilot. When we landed it was after 10pm, we got off the plane and onto a bus to get to the terminal. The airport was pretty much deserted, probably due to the time, but the few employees we saw did have masks on.

We have another easyjet flight coming up June 17th, and on June 11th they emailed us saying our flight to Paris out of FCO was cancelled but they were offering to fly us out of Ciampino instead, so that's what we're doing.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 4:33 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I'm supposed to fly through FCO on June 30th, including an overnight at an airport hotel - all on AZ. Should I consider booking on another airline?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by NYTA
I'm supposed to fly through FCO on June 30th, including an overnight at an airport hotel - all on AZ. Should I consider booking on another airline?
Unless you are planning on flying through another airport, it is not going to make much difference which airline. They are all affected
Old Jun 21, 2015, 6:56 am

I called AA by phone as they show a travel advisory for Rome through 24 June. Of course our flight is an overnighter leaving the 25th and arriving 26th. I am afraid they will cancel and re route last minute. We are doing a trip that is 3 countries in 10 days and if they divert us we will easily lose a day. I pressed them pretty hard by phone to commit that the flights 25th would not be CANCELLED as that is my greatest fear. Second greatest is a re route to a city far away like Venice or something then having to secure a train that would take all day.

Any thoughts?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:08 pm

I don't know which flight you're taking, but for AA 110, ORD-FCO, there's a page showing its history at http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL110 . Since June 7, it's only been cancelled on June 12, but it's had delays. Cancellation doesn't look too likely.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 5:18 am

Programs: AA Platinum
So far as I can tell, the big international flights for AA (US) between the US and FCO are going in and out of FCO as before and in Terminal 5 (T5). Yesterday, 21 June, I took AA/US 719 out of T5, and it was overwhelmingly busy and clogged with passengers diverted to T5 from other airlines such as Cathay Pacific that do not usually use T5. The first long lines were outside T5, and there was a certain amount of confusion about which line was for which groups of passengers, but those on the American carriers such as American and United were directed to a line that went more or less swiftly into the terminal, but there were long, slow lines everywhere, especially before Passport Control. I was in the fast lanes for check-in and security, and it took at least an hour to get through the terminal and then in line for the shuttle bus out to the G gates. It would have taken much longer in the regular lines.

Since 13 June (see Perche's posts above), when FCO further reduced its capacity and shifted passengers out of T3, owing to new concerns about toxic air in the affected area, the lines necessarily are longer, especially now in peak tourist season, and there seems to be no real prediction about when, if ever, Terminal 3 (T3) will be returned to full service.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
We will be flying FCO-FRA on AZ in July. Should we plan on getting to the airport even earlier than normal?
Are security lines impacted?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Yes, you might want to go early. Even if you have boarding passes and are flying Business Class, you could be delayed. If you are flying coach, you likely will be delayed at security as well as at the entrance to the terminal and at passport control--or, really, anywhere, since passengers on flights diverted from T3 are filling up the other terminals. The airport, as promised in their PR releases, seems to have stationed extra personnel at key spots to help people get to where they are going, and those personnel are helping to move the lines along, but the lines when I was there were exceptionally long. I was in the fast lanes, such as they were, and I still hadn't got on a shuttle bus to the remote G-gates terminal after an hour had passed.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Ugh sort of forgot about this issue as I booked AZ flights a couple days ago for tomorrow morning CTA-FCO-BLQ. Many issues at all with domestic AZ connections?

Gratzie!
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
Ugh sort of forgot about this issue as I booked AZ flights a couple days ago for tomorrow morning CTA-FCO-BLQ. Many issues at all with domestic AZ connections?

Gratzie!
I can't answer your question about FCO since I'm not there, but I will tell you that if you make the CTA-FCO flight but there are delays or a misconnect on to BLQ, there is now a train line that runs from FCO to Venice (with stops in Florence, Bologna and a couple of other cities). So if you get to FCO and hit problems there, and have your luggage, check the train schedule as a backup plan.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:15 am

Since this was apparently for today, June 23, Alitalia flight status indicates that for the flights on those routes up to the current mid-afternoon time the delays aren't more than a few minutes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.