Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Trattoria dal Cavalier Gino - Rome

Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond *Wood Gold, Hertz PC

I want to visit Trattoria dal Cavalier Gino in Rome on a Wednesday evening 20 May. Katie Parla's restaurant blog said "you won’t find a table on short notice at this institution"

I asked my Rome hotel concierge to call today and they said they were told they don't accept reservations.

I thought it was odd given Katie's comment and other reviews that indicate reservations are a must.

Given that I am 3 weeks out am I too early to ask for a reservation? Should I try to find someone else to call (I don't speak Italian) They don't have an email listed.

Please let me know if you have experience with this restaurant or suggestions as to how to proceed
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by WestCoastFlyer
I want to visit Trattoria dal Cavalier Gino in Rome on a Wednesday evening 20 May. Katie Parla's restaurant blog said "you won’t find a table on short notice at this institution"

I asked my Rome hotel concierge to call today and they said they were told they don't accept reservations.

I thought it was odd given Katie's comment and other reviews that indicate reservations are a must.

Given that I am 3 weeks out am I too early to ask for a reservation? Should I try to find someone else to call (I don't speak Italian) They don't have an email listed.

Please let me know if you have experience with this restaurant or suggestions as to how to proceed
I promise you that Da Gino not only accepts, but almost requires reservations, or you are not likely to get in unless you show up right when there was a cancellation or no-show.

Maybe there was a miscommunication between you and your concierge when he said they won't accept reservations now. Many Roman restaurants won't let you make a reservation way in advance. They don't trust reservations made way in advance because people change their plans too much when they have enough time to do so and they never show up, and the restaurant loses business.

If I were you I'd call them on May 4th. I'm positive they'd start accepting reservations by then. You can wait until the 5th or 6th, but the more you wait, the less your chances. I've said many times that you have to get reservations in Rome and Venice for any good place.

I am certain that if you call them on May 4th, which is about the usual time, just over two weeks, and you will be able to get a reservation without any problem. May 4th is a Monday, and they may be closed as many Roman restaurants are on that day, but I'd start then. If you don't get through, call the 5th, but don't keep putting it off because they are small and will fill up.

Remember also, Italian restaurants don't stay open all day, at least not the good ones. Check the time difference from where you are and call them during lunch or dinner time, or a little before when they are setting up. For a place like that in that location it will be 100% certain that they will have someone who can take your reservation in english.

Your concierge is wrong, or you had a miscommunication. Get the phone number of Cavalier da Gino, then call them yourself or have your concierge call, starting May 4th. If your concierge tells you otherwise, don't take no for an answer. Start calling then and I am positive you will get your reservation. I'm also positive that if you don't have a reservation, your chances of getting in are nil.

Last edited by Perche; Apr 28, 2015 at 11:09 am
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK

Don't worry, they neither. Only strict Roman allowed

---

If your party is small, just show up early. I mean 8.00/8.30PM and should be able to beat the crowd.
At least is what I did.

Although TA states they accept reservations, for successful business with such fluid turnaround it's simply uneconomical to accept reservation.
They just cram patrons as they arrive.
Food is very good. Not a place for a romantic dinner since privacy is not paramount.

Edit: reading Perche suggestion. The advanced timing might be one of the reasons.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks Perch.

Your response is exactly what my expectations were for that restaurant and others that we plan to visit.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
If your party is small, just show up early. I mean 8.00/8.30PM and should be able to beat the crowd.
At least is what I did.
OP should probably try for reservations if he can - Perche gave some good tips.

I'm guessing from the location on your profile that you might be Italian. Showing up early and hoping for the best - let's say that "ci arrangiamo" doesn't really translate well for Americans going to Italy. Part of it is wanting to have a plan before the plane lands, and also because restaurants are much more likely to accommodate Italians (especially locals) and Italian speakers.

My wife and I have a little fun with that each trip - she speaks very little Italian, obviously heavily accented, but understands quite well since she's been around my family for years. I grew up in the US with Italian as my first language, so it's far from perfect, but does the job.

FWIW, I tend to make reservations, but not too far out. I usually do it after we arrive, and a couple of days prior to dinner (the first night is usually some kind of jet lagged snacking as we try to stay up to local bedtime and adjust).
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: LH, BA, TK
No idea what "ci arrangiamo" has to do with my advice.
It is how most managers exactly operate their trattorie in Rome, and I write stuff coming only from real life experience.
This is not a Cavalieri Hilton restaurant you're talking about, and the service as well the table choice cannot be more informal.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:26 pm

It is how most managers exactly operate their trattorie in Rome, and I write stuff coming only from real life experience.
This is not a Cavalieri Hilton restaurant you're talking about, and the service as well the table choice cannot be more informal.
OK, then let me clarify a bit. If showing up a little early without a reservation doensn't work out, a tourist coming from 3000 miles away isn't likely to have enough local knowledge to quickly come up with a backup plan that evening. Therefore, I think OP needs to have an advance reservation somewhere if he wants to ensure a decent meal.

I'm not suggesting you're not writing from experience. What I'm saying is that you're writing that from the perspective of local experience (or possibly being a local, your profile says you live in Rome). A tourist generally isn't going to have as easy a time.
Old May 6, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
But it is generic rather than specific experience with this trattoria. In this case, it is clear (from Tripadvisor posts) that this trattoria does take reservations. So, why not make one.
Old May 6, 2015, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone. Thanks for the advise. As originally suggested by Perche I was trying too far in advance. I called 2 weeks in advance and was able to get the reservation I wanted. I will report back on the experience at the restaurant after I return.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
Hi everyone. Thanks for the advise. As originally suggested by Perche I was trying too far in advance. I called 2 weeks in advance and was able to get the reservation I wanted. I will report back on the experience at the restaurant after I return.

Any update WestCoastFlyer? Looking to make my own reservation this week, was looking for any first-hand experience on the restaurant itself.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SMFlagg
Any update WestCoastFlyer? Looking to make my own reservation this week, was looking for any first-hand experience on the restaurant itself.
We really enjoyed our meal there. It's not a huge menu, but everything we had was excellent. Prices were very reasonable. It's very small and we seemed to be the only tourists the night we were there. They are open for lunch and open again at 8:00 pm. You absolutely have to have a reservation.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
We really enjoyed our meal there. It's not a huge menu, but everything we had was excellent. Prices were very reasonable. It's very small and we seemed to be the only tourists the night we were there. They are open for lunch and open again at 8:00 pm. You absolutely have to have a reservation.
Excellent news, and thanks for the feedback. Our two week countdown begins here in a few days, will call at that point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.