Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Please recommend your favorite non touristy, non super fine dining place in Rome!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please recommend your favorite non touristy, non super fine dining place in Rome!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, PC Plat, Hertz 5*

Hello!

We will be in Rome in May, staying for 3 days in the Historical Center. I searched other threads but recommendations are more than a few years old.

Would love to have current recommendations for non touristy, non super fine dining (since we have a toddler).

I will be getting the couple of Rome food apps which I saw here like Rome for Foodies and eat Rome but if you have a favorite wonderful place, please recommend it!

thanks!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by aterug
Hello!

We will be in Rome in May, staying for 3 days in the Historical Center. I searched other threads but recommendations are more than a few years old.

Would love to have current recommendations for non touristy, non super fine dining (since we have a toddler).

I will be getting the couple of Rome food apps which I saw here like Rome for Foodies and eat Rome but if you have a favorite wonderful place, please recommend it!

thanks!
Is there a particular part of the historical center? The reason I ask is that the historical center is only a small part of the city of Rome, but it's still a large area. I'm going to assume you are near Campo de Fiori, which is sort of in the middle of it.

Near Campo de Fiori is Roscioli Salumeria. They call themselves a salumeria, or deli more or less, but it is anything but. The prices are very reasonable, it's informal enough to bring a toddler, and the food is some of the best in Rome.

You can get traditional Roman dishes like cacio e pepe (12E), pasta amatriciana (14E), pasta carbonara (15E), etc. The secondi cost more, usually in the low 20's, but these are very low prices for unbelievably delicious, authentic, non-touristy food in Rome. With the rise in value of the dollar this is cheaper than most italian restaurants in the USA.

If I were in Rome for 3 days and I had to eat there every night I wouldn't mind at all. Like all good places in Rome, you absolutely must get a reservation 3-7 days in advance. http://www.salumeriaroscioli.com/restaurant/#download
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by Perche
Near Campo de Fiori is Roscioli Salumeria. They call themselves a salumeria, or deli more or less, but it is anything but. The prices are very reasonable, it's informal enough to bring a toddler, and the food is some of the best in Rome.
I've never eaten here, but it's on the list now, based on the abundance of anchovies and sardines on the menu.

The secondi sound great, but there's no chance I'd make it out of the antipasti and primi with any ability to keep eating.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, PC Plat, Hertz 5*
Is there a particular part of the historical center?

http://www.salumeriaroscioli.com/restaurant/#download
Oh wow, that place looks amazing! I have sent them an email to try and get reservations. I am so excited, I can not wait! Hopefully they will have a few veggie dishes for my wife as well.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:38 am

At Roscioli's, I go for the burrata and the pasta and skip the secondo.

Just down the street and around the corner from Roscioli's is Emma Pizzeria. (part of the Roscioli family) http://www.emmapizzeria.com/

And if you are in the area you really need to check out Caraphina gelato, it is a couple doors down from the Roscioli bakery on Via dei Chiavari
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum, Delta Gold
Wow! Roscioli's looks great! Unfortunately we will only be in Rome 1 day precruise and it will be a Sunday.
Having a hard time finding recommendations for a Sunday night dinner. But, we will definitely put it on our list of places to visit on our next trip!!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by syndney
Wow! Roscioli's looks great! Unfortunately we will only be in Rome 1 day precruise and it will be a Sunday.
Having a hard time finding recommendations for a Sunday night dinner. But, we will definitely put it on our list of places to visit on our next trip!!
What area of town are you looking for recommendations? And what style of food.

Restaurants in the Jewish Ghetto will be open. Piperno or Giggetto are classic Jewish Roman, nothing too flashy.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by mromalley
What area of town are you looking for recommendations? And what style of food.

Restaurants in the Jewish Ghetto will be open. Piperno or Giggetto are classic Jewish Roman, nothing too flashy.
I hope I'm not hijacking aterug's thread.

Currently we have a reservation at the Westin Excelsior, although I have been looking into hotels closer to the Pantheon.

Piperno would be great for lunch, as I see they close at 2:20 on Sunday. Thanks for that suggestion.

We have a 4:20p.m. Underground Colosseum tour so would love to find some great food for afterwards.

Last edited by syndney; Apr 29, 2015 at 3:20 pm Reason: sp
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by syndney
I hope I'm not hijacking aterug's thread.

Currently we have a reservation at the Westin Excelsior, although I have been looking into hotels closer to the Pantheon.

Piperno would be great for lunch, as I see they close at 2:20 on Sunday. Thanks for that suggestion.

We have a 4:20p.m. Underground Colosseum tour so would love to find some great food for afterwards.
All restaurants in Rome close between 2-2:30 every day that they are open. They reopen around 8PM. If you see a restaurant open in the afternoon it is most likely a tourist trap, or just a fast food type of place. Sundays are tough. Many are closed on Mondays too. For this reason it is even more vital to obtain a reservation for dining on a Sunday.

In front of the Pantheon the piazza is ringed by restaurants that are open all day long, seven days a week. It's not good food. I've been down to the basement of several of them. Most of the food is frozen food. The best restaurant near the Pantheon, Armando al Pantheon, is unfortunately for you, closed on Sundays.

However, there is one other good one across the street from the Pantheon, La Rosetta. Very high end, Italian seafood restaurant. Localino Da Claudio is another Italian seafood restaurant open on Sundays near Via Veneto, which is within walking distance, especially if you wind up staying at the Westin Excelsior.

Al Moro is near the Fountain of Trevi, an easy walk from the Pantheon. Dittirambo and Grappolo D'Oro are near Campo de' Fiori and are also walkable. Also there is Settimio al Pellegrino, a very interesting restaurant. Just a husband and wife who do the whole thing in a small place and offer only a couple of different dishes each night. It's not fancy, it had a paper table cloth if I remember, but it is considered to be one of the best restaurants in Rome.

Lots of tourist traps around Piazza Navona, but La Campana is the oldest restaurant in Rome and is actually pretty good and just a five minute walk from the Pantheon. These are the ones that are open on Sunday, good, and within walking distance from the Pantheon.

I know some others, but you'd either have to take a bus or a cab. One is Cesare del Casaletto in the Monteverde neighborhood. You can walk to Torre Argentino then take the tram and get off at the last stop about 3 miles away. Maybe 30 minutes by bus, 15 minutes by cab. It should be on anyone's list of places to eat when in Rome, even though it is out of the city center.

Flavio al Valavevodetto is in the Testaccio neighborhood about a 15 minute cab ride away. Testaccio is a very typical, working class type of neighborhood. You're not going to see many tourists. It's too complicated to get there easily by bus. It's about a 15 minute cab ride. I just walk it. It's about a 35 minute walk, mostly along the Tiber River. It is supposed to be the place where Carlo Petrini, the founder of Slow Food eats when he is in Rome. It is his favorite restaurant in the city. La Torricella is also nearby and in Testaccio, as is Perili, another one of the best restaurants in the city. Not a fancy place, a neighborhood restaurant, but great, authentic local food.

Other outlying neighborhoods, for seafood in Trastevere La Gensola is open. L'Asino D'Oro in the Monti neighborhood not that far from the Colosseum (I used to go to school near there) is outstanding and open on Sunday.

There are more, but these are the ones that I know are open on Sundays. Email them or call of course to be sure because things change. When you call, remember, these restaurants will be closed between 2-2:30 and 7-8 PM.

Don't even think about going to any of them without a reservation. Maybe La Campana, a high turnover place, but that's it. It's sad sitting in seventh heaven eating one of the best meals in your life, and watching couple after couple being turned away because they didn't have a reservation. Occasionally a solo traveler can get lucky with an early seat, and even then they'll usually tell you can only eat if you promise to finish and get out within an hour because the table is reserved. Italians eat later than Americans so sometimes there is a lucky early seat, but once an Italian gets seated, it's there table for the rest of the night, and if you don't have a reservation, you're not getting in.

Last edited by Perche; Apr 29, 2015 at 6:36 pm
Old May 1, 2015, 7:28 am

We also make at least one stop at Gusto (www.gusto.it) and Pizzeria da Baffetto when in Rome.
Old May 2, 2015, 10:51 pm

All restaurants in Rome close between 2-2:30 every day that they are open. They reopen around 8PM. If you see a restaurant open in the afternoon it is most likely a tourist trap, or just a fast food type of place. Sundays are tough. Many are closed on Mondays too. For this reason it is even more vital to obtain a reservation for dining on a Sunday.

In front of the Pantheon the piazza is ringed by restaurants that are open all day long, seven days a week. It's not good food. I've been down to the basement of several of them. Most of the food is frozen food. The best restaurant near the Pantheon, Armando al Pantheon, is unfortunately for you, closed on Sundays.

However, there is one other good one across the street from the Pantheon, La Rosetta. Very high end, Italian seafood restaurant. Localino Da Claudio is another Italian seafood restaurant open on Sundays near Via Veneto, which is within walking distance, especially if you wind up staying at the Westin Excelsior.

Al Moro is near the Fountain of Trevi, an easy walk from the Pantheon. Dittirambo and Grappolo D'Oro are near Campo de' Fiori and are also walkable. Also there is Settimio al Pellegrino, a very interesting restaurant. Just a husband and wife who do the whole thing in a small place and offer only a couple of different dishes each night. It's not fancy, it had a paper table cloth if I remember, but it is considered to be one of the best restaurants in Rome.

Lots of tourist traps around Piazza Navona, but La Campana is the oldest restaurant in Rome and is actually pretty good and just a five minute walk from the Pantheon. These are the ones that are open on Sunday, good, and within walking distance from the Pantheon.

I know some others, but you'd either have to take a bus or a cab. One is Cesare del Casaletto in the Monteverde neighborhood. You can walk to Torre Argentino then take the tram and get off at the last stop about 3 miles away. Maybe 30 minutes by bus, 15 minutes by cab. It should be on anyone's list of places to eat when in Rome, even though it is out of the city center.

Flavio al Valavevodetto is in the Testaccio neighborhood about a 15 minute cab ride away. Testaccio is a very typical, working class type of neighborhood. You're not going to see many tourists. It's too complicated to get there easily by bus. It's about a 15 minute cab ride. I just walk it. It's about a 35 minute walk, mostly along the Tiber River. It is supposed to be the place where Carlo Petrini, the founder of Slow Food eats when he is in Rome. It is his favorite restaurant in the city. La Torricella is also nearby and in Testaccio, as is Perili, another one of the best restaurants in the city. Not a fancy place, a neighborhood restaurant, but great, authentic local food.

Other outlying neighborhoods, for seafood in Trastevere La Gensola is open. L'Asino D'Oro in the Monti neighborhood not that far from the Colosseum (I used to go to school near there) is outstanding and open on Sunday.

There are more, but these are the ones that I know are open on Sundays. Email them or call of course to be sure because things change. When you call, remember, these restaurants will be closed between 2-2:30 and 7-8 PM.

Don't even think about going to any of them without a reservation. Maybe La Campana, a high turnover place, but that's it. It's sad sitting in seventh heaven eating one of the best meals in your life, and watching couple after couple being turned away because they didn't have a reservation. Occasionally a solo traveler can get lucky with an early seat, and even then they'll usually tell you can only eat if you promise to finish and get out within an hour because the table is reserved. Italians eat later than Americans so sometimes there is a lucky early seat, but once an Italian gets seated, it's there table for the rest of the night, and if you don't have a reservation, you're not getting in.
Thank you so much for your time and wealth of suggestions. I have looked into some of the places you mentioned and have already confirmed that some indeed are open on Sunday.

I have just recently downloaded the Slow Food app and found some more information about a few of these restaurants.

I will definitely make use of your suggestions and will make sure to have a reservation for dining on Sunday night.

Last edited by syndney; May 3, 2015 at 8:07 am
Old May 6, 2015, 2:46 pm
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
It actually pains me to give up my little secret, but my absolute favorite restaurant in Rome is Taverna Ripetta. I've been there twice. Both amazing. It's very small, family run, and the food is as authentic and just perfect. The firs time I went, we just stumbled upon it by chance/luck and it was our best meal in Rome. I think that's part of the reason it's so special for me.

But I noticed its on trip advisor now so I guess its not such a secret.
Old May 6, 2015, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by aterug
Oh wow, that place looks amazing! I have sent them an email to try and get reservations. I am so excited, I can not wait! Hopefully they will have a few veggie dishes for my wife as well.
Don't worry. If she doesn't eat meat, tell her to focus on the burrata (a mozzarella type of cheese dish). I don't think it's possible for a vegetarian to get closer to gustatory heaven than eating burrata at Roscioli.

Last edited by Perche; May 8, 2015 at 9:29 am
Old May 11, 2015, 6:17 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
We were at the Westin Excelsior last year. If you turn right as you exit the hotel and walk a couple of blocks to Via Sardegna, then turn right again, it's just a block away...La Bruschetta at #39. We liked it so much that we ate there two nights in a row. You can eat upstairs and watch what's happening in the kitchen or downstairs in the cellar.
Old May 12, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Nanook
We were at the Westin Excelsior last year. If you turn right as you exit the hotel and walk a couple of blocks to Via Sardegna, then turn right again, it's just a block away...La Bruschetta at #39. We liked it so much that we ate there two nights in a row. You can eat upstairs and watch what's happening in the kitchen or downstairs in the cellar.
Pronounced 'bruce-ketta' not 'brushetta'!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.