Wiki Posts
Search

Help. One more day in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Help. One more day in Rome

There are four of us, kids are 11 and 13. We have one day left in Rome and up for suggestions. We have considered trip to Tivoli or just walking around for food, gelato, and wine. We know we have to be missing something. We have been to Vatican, trevi fountain, coliseum, forum, Spanish steps, pantheon, plenty of shopping, lots of great food, etc. We are getting ready to head out for dinner. We will decide what we do tomorrow when we get back, so any suggestions in the next 3 or 4 hours will be considered. The day after tomorrow, we take the train to milan.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I would suggest staying in Rome and walk around at leisure, sit in outdoor cafees and look at people, a few tram rides perhaps.
Find some areas you haven't walked around in.
Have you walked around in Trastevere? The Jewish ghetto?
Have you visited one of the Castroni delicatesse shops (fx on Via Cola di Rienzo 196)?
Have you been to Eataly? Huge food hall/supermarked/restaurants in 3 or 4 floors.
(Piazzale XII Ottobre 1492 - metro B to 'Piramide', walk towards Air Terminal.)
If you find yourself nearby, there is a small architecturally interesting area called 'Quartiere Coppede'. ( Tram 3 or 19 to Piazza Buenos Aires, walk under the arch on Via Tagliamento and you are in the area).

Last edited by helosc; Mar 17, 2015 at 2:04 pm
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:54 pm

Don't know if it suits your style, but perhaps something along the lines of one of the catacombs and the baths of Caracalla?

Both in the same area, some walking/busses involved. Fascinating for us, YMMV.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
You didn't mention it. But I assume you've been to Piazza Navona, walking distance from your hotel, a few blocks from the Pantheon. If you've been there try Trastevere. A very old and quaint neighborhood with ancient streets and beautiful plazas. What we call the Tiber River is called Fiume Tevere in Italian. Trastevere means across the Tiber River. Not near the Vatican but down the river more towards the Colosseum. You can't leave Rome without seeing Piazza Navona, and if you've done that, consider Trastevere.

http://www.parlafood.com/katie-parlas-rome-trastevere/

PS: it seems that you are finding out that traveling to Italy and enjoying one main spot is very satisfying, and is much better than trying to go to as many famous cities as possible to take as many pictures in front of famous buildings as possible, and leaving not knowing very much about italy.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
If you like sculptures, highly recommend the Galleria Borghese if you can get a reservation.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:28 pm

Tivoli (Villa d'Este) is great (also for kids), as is the Villa Adriana a few km before you get there. Both are impressive, and if it doesn't rain, it could be one of nicest days to spend a morning. Then, in the afternoon, you could go to Via Appia antica and walk along it or, if open midweeks, rent bicycles!!!
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:33 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Perche
PS: it seems that you are finding out that traveling to Italy and enjoying one main spot is very satisfying, and is much better than trying to go to as many famous cities as possible to take as many pictures in front of famous buildings as possible, and leaving not knowing very much about italy.
^^^

How about taking a day trip to Ostia Antica on the Metro? Or even a half day trip to EUR?
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Up In The Air
^^^

How about taking a day trip to Ostia Antica on the Metro? Or even a half day trip to EUR?
Ostia Antica would be really fine (half a day, though, a whole day might turn the kids to terrorists), but there is no metro to there!
Old Mar 18, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by KLouis
Ostia Antica would be really fine (half a day, though, a whole day might turn the kids to terrorists), but there is no metro to there!

Take the Metro to Magliana and change onto the Ostia (C. Colombo) line to 'Ostia Antica'.

On the way back why not stop off at EUR Fermi and take in the rather quirky Mussolini grand vision architecture. Few tourists visit EUR, but in my opinion it's worth stopping off.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
OP's kids are 11 and 13. I don't think they'd really want to see the outside of a 1930's exhibition hall at EUR. Maybe Ostia the kids might consider worth the trouble to get to, just maybe. I think the suggestion for Villa Borghese was spot on for the parents, and it won't bore the kids either who will enjoy the park.

Last edited by Perche; Mar 18, 2015 at 3:09 pm
Old Mar 18, 2015, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by Perche
You didn't mention it. But I assume you've been to Piazza Navona, walking distance from your hotel, a few blocks from the Pantheon. If you've been there try Trastevere. A very old and quaint neighborhood with ancient streets and beautiful plazas. What we call the Tiber River is called Fiume Tevere in Italian. Trastevere means across the Tiber River. Not near the Vatican but down the river more towards the Colosseum. You can't leave Rome without seeing Piazza Navona, and if you've done that, consider Trastevere.

http://www.parlafood.com/katie-parlas-rome-trastevere/

Thought I would check back in. We had missed piazza navona, so decided to go there since apparently my family hadn't shopped enough and there were stores they wanted to go back to. We went into a couple churches and went to the farmers market. Had a great last day. Filling out postcards now to send in the morning before we catch a cab to termini when we go to milan for a day before flying home. Great trip.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Up In The Air
...Take the Metro to Magliana and change onto the Ostia (C. Colombo) line to 'Ostia Antica'...
You are correct that you can get by rail to Ostia Antica by rail, but I meant not by Metro, as none of its two lines gets there. Moreover, again a small mistake: you can connect at EUR Magliana but NOT at Magliana, which is on the line to the airport. Of course, neither this is on a real Metro line! Without wanting to start a discussion (especially since the OP et al. had a nice day in the centre), when telling non-residents where to go to and how, we should all be more precise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.