Florence Restaurants?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Florence Restaurants?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2015, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
Florence Restaurants?

Does anyone have any restaurant recommendations for Florence for a family of 5?
Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:18 pm

Mario Bucco - great food, fun time. In Florence get ribolitta (reboiled soup). Can get bisticeca (hugh steak) that is a Florentine specialty but too big for me. Ribolitta is terrific.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by safra1
Does anyone have any restaurant recommendations for Florence for a family of 5?
I'm not an expert in Florentine restaurants, but it might be easier to help if there were more specifics. Including what time of the year. For example, ristorante Bucco Mario seems like a great place, but they are going to be closed quite a bit in December. Is your family composed of two adults and three children including babies? What are you looking for, high end Michelin star type of place, or just a good place.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:06 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I'd especially want to know the age of the kids and the budget. I have had two good meals at Ristorante Riflessi, http://www.ristoranteriflessi.com/, but it's somewhat expensive and probably too sedate for a family with very small children. I also enjoyed Ristorante Accademia, http://www.ristoranteaccademia.it/, and plan to return there later this month. Might handle a family better than Riflessi, but still relatively expensive.

On the other hand, for a family on a budget with several small children, I'd consider some of the small trattorias along the Piazza dell'Independenza--I wish I could remember the name of the place I went, but I basically just stepped in to several places for a moment and stayed where I found the most folks, including wait staff, speaking Italian. I made my very broken Italian work. The food may not have been amazing, but it was very good, and it was very reasonably priced.

Perche hasn't mentioned it in this thread but has in others that there are many reasons to take restaurant reviews in Italy with much more of a grain of salt than in other places. I think that's valuable advice to consider.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 8:50 am

The original question is from a number of months ago. Is this still information that folks need? I can recommend a few places, but I'll be updating my own data after my trip to Florence in early December.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
The original question is from a number of months ago. Is this still information that folks need? I can recommend a few places, but I'll be updating my own data after my trip to Florence in early December.
You're correct that the OP was months ago; however, I think anyone looking for Florence restaurant recommendations might find this thread useful (FT differs from TripAdvisor forums in this regard--here threads can remain open forever; at TA, threads can be permanently closed after a certain period of inactivity). So, although the thread might not be of use to the OP anymore, it may be of use to others eventually. Your upcoming experience, as well as mine in a couple of weeks, probably will be useful data points.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
You're correct that the OP was months ago; however, I think anyone looking for Florence restaurant recommendations might find this thread useful (FT differs from TripAdvisor forums in this regard--here threads can remain open forever; at TA, threads can be permanently closed after a certain period of inactivity). So, although the thread might not be of use to the OP anymore, it may be of use to others eventually. Your upcoming experience, as well as mine in a couple of weeks, probably will be useful data points.
Agreed, but what I'm asking is whether this information is needed now, or can wait for me to update with additional experience. I can certainly recommend a handful of places that will very likely be good at the moment, but if folks are planning for after December, I can be a little bit more current in my opinions.

One thing I noticed that's curious on Tripadvisor recently - I get the same restaurant rankings when using the English (US) and Italian versions of the site, despite showing me a different set of reviews based on language. I thought it used to be that TA weighed local/local language ratings and gave a different list depending on location.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
- Il Santo Bevitore, traditional with a modern twist
- All'antico ristoro di Cambi, for a great steak "Fiorentina"
- Coquinarius, run by two young brothers, a delicious place to get a rest from the crowd around piazza del Duomo, a lot of options from small plates to full meal
- Ristorante Buca Lapi, historical classic restaurant
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:00 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Yes, please post updated information after your trips.

I just booked a trip to Firenze in March and I am very interested in food.
I am particular interested in lunch deals in fancy/expensive restaurants (if such thing exist - deals that is...) and not fancy/ reasonably priced restaurants with very good quality food.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by helosc
I just booked a trip to Firenze in March and I am very interested in food.
I am particular interested in lunch deals in fancy/expensive restaurants (if such thing exist - deals that is...) and not fancy/ reasonably priced restaurants with very good quality food.
I have a trip to Florence and the surrounding area in late April/early May and have been told that the second floor of the Mercato Centrale is loaded with fabulous food stalls where the focus is on quality rather than environment. That probably doesn't match your requirements. I plan on checking this out because it sounds like Mercato Centrale is on par with the great food halls in Paris, Barcelona, and elsewhere.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:17 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by philwupdx
I have a trip to Florence and the surrounding area in late April/early May and have been told that the second floor of the Mercato Centrale is loaded with fabulous food stalls where the focus is on quality rather than environment. That probably doesn't match your requirements. I plan on checking this out because it sounds like Mercato Centrale is on par with the great food halls in Paris, Barcelona, and elsewhere.
Yes, it does match my requirements, thank you very much for the tip.
I'll report back.
I don't much care about the environment or ambience - I care about the food.

My interest in high end restaurants is that it is a nice allround experience - once in a while it is fun to eat food that's arranged very artfully.
But generally I only care about the quality of the food so food stalls are fine by me if it's good food.

On my last visit to Italy, I happily ate food from plastic plates and with plastic cutlery (had a very nice salmon tatar and beef burger in a food market in Milano and a brilliant lobster roll at the EXPO).

Last edited by helosc; Jan 17, 2016 at 2:25 am
Old Jan 17, 2016, 1:50 pm

The first floor at the central market is an excellent place to eat. First floor meaning 2nd in US terms. Go upstairs. I don't have my blog link in my signature anymore, but I wrote about it a bit here -

https://saverocity.com/arewethereyet...d-in-florence/

Mods, nuke the link if that's against the rules.

As far as the best stalls, I think I can say I've eaten at all or at least most of them. My favorite was the fish stall, had a great fritto misto. Actually, I had two because my wife didn't want to eat the things with heads and legs left on them. Her loss! Second place was the hamburger stall. No kidding. Best burger I've had in my life. My 3 year old would recommend the gnocchi at the pasta stall. Also a good lampredotto sandwich on one of the interior corner stands, not as good as Da Nerbone downstairs, but better hours upstairs.

Happy to help with any Florence dining questions, high or low end
Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:32 pm

https://saverocity.com/arewethereyet...d-in-florence/

As far as the best stalls, I think I can say I've eaten at all or at least most of them. My favorite was the fish stall, had a great fritto misto. Actually, I had two because my wife didn't want to eat the things with heads and legs left on them. Her loss! Second place was the hamburger stall. No kidding. Best burger I've had in my life. My 3 year old would recommend the gnocchi at the pasta stall. Also a good lampredotto sandwich on one of the interior corner stands, not as good as Da Nerbone downstairs, but better hours upstairs.
Your blog post is great! How busy does this place get in the evenings--i.e. is it a battle to find a place to sit and enjoy? And when purchasing food to eat, is it entirely on a cash basis or can one use credit/debit cards?
Old Jan 17, 2016, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by philwupdx
Your blog post is great! How busy does this place get in the evenings--i.e. is it a battle to find a place to sit and enjoy? And when purchasing food to eat, is it entirely on a cash basis or can one use credit/debit cards?
I appreciate that, and your questions really help me improve my writing - I should have included that info!

Crowds: Yes! I was there over what you'd consider a low period for tourists, as well as a high one for Italian tourists visiting from other cities. In both cases from 1-3pm and 6-9pm, you kind of need to hover for a table. Don't be afraid to ask if you can take empty seats at a larger table, it's normal and common to share the long 6+ tops. If one person can sit and the other can go get food, that's helpful, but then the person sitting doesn't get to browse the stalls. Additionally, during high traffic periods, I've also seen some crowd control limiting people getting on the escalators up so that the escalator isn't pushing people into a crowd backed up from the entry way.

Credit: I think all stalls take credit. I didn't try everywhere, because when I was buying a coffee for a euro, I was using change.

Remember that your drinks come from stalls too. If you sit on the side with the (beer) bar, same side as the butcher, the hamburgers, fish, etc, you'll see servers going around. You can order water and beer from them, and you pay them directly. If you want wine, there's a wine stall. Pick a bottle (or ask for help), they'll cork it and give you glasses. Or you can buy by the glass.

I love the market. I have a 3 year old and she doesn't always want to wait until 7 for dinner. This is one place to get some real food, not tourist crap, in the restaurant off-hours.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:20 pm

Remember that your drinks come from stalls too. If you sit on the side with the (beer) bar, same side as the butcher, the hamburgers, fish, etc, you'll see servers going around. You can order water and beer from them, and you pay them directly. If you want wine, there's a wine stall. Pick a bottle (or ask for help), they'll cork it and give you glasses. Or you can buy by the glass.

I love the market. I have a 3 year old and she doesn't always want to wait until 7 for dinner. This is one place to get some real food, not tourist crap, in the restaurant off-hours.
Thanks! Sounds like tremendous fun, especially if one doesn't have a schedule or a particular agenda!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.