Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

FCO to Rome transportation options

Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JBD
Ground Transportation Options (Including Taxis, Trains, Buses and Shuttles) from 060608 - an Official Rome Tourist site
060608 Aeroporto di Fiumicino Leonardo da Vinci - Services and connections

Car Service Options Recommended by Many FTers Over Many Years
Stefano's Rome Cabs Cost €50 for one way transfer. (Price is for up to 3 people with luggage. Additional charges for more people and late night service).
TripAdvisor Reviews

Rome Shuttle Limousine Cost €50 for one way transfer. If booking a roundtrip there is a €5 discount. (Price is for up to 3 people with luggage. Additional charges for more people and late night service).
TripAdvisor Reviews

How To Check for Upcoming Transportation Strikes
Link to official website showing schedule of upcoming transport strikes (in Italian)
Link to site above, translated through google
Link to a search for strikes on website "Wanted in Rome". (This is a well maintained site geared to expats which will post info about upcoming strikes, usually a day or so beforehand).
Print Wikipost

FCO to Rome transportation options

Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:15 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
The €48 taxi ride associated with the peace of mind of a fixed fare is not that bad. Actually one of the least expensive in Europe from main hubs to city centers.

Regarding the option #1, note that from the arrival level at FCO to the train station you'll be having a 10 min walk. Plus 5 min from the Termini platform of Leonardo Express to taxi ranks.
This option costs €14 and takes 32 min.
Overall I figure it can cost at worst €30, depending on traffic.

I think the decision is a matter of personal choice.
Whatever, enjoy your stay!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by dillard8
I thought I was pretty clear, but I guess not. I am looking for the "best" option given the time I'm arriving and amount of luggage I'll have. Cost is not the most important thing but I don't want to waste a ton of money either. As I said, I was leaning toward the Leonardo Express + taxi, but the numerous complaints I'd read specifically regarding taxis from the Termini taxi stand gave me pause. I'm not concerned about figuring out metro lines/tickets either, just about whether it will be too crowded for me to fight my way in with luggage at that time of morning. I was hoping someone with recent experience on these could weigh in.

And yes, of course I will be arriving before the 2 p.m. check-in time as usual given the overnight flights from the States to Europe - if the room's not ready I'll drop my bag and head out into the city, no big deal.
Given this information (esp. re: cost) then I'd just take a cab.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:21 am

I would go with http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/ . Driver with a sign with your name meets you, nice car, €45 fare confirmed by email. Doesn't require a credit card guarantee.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Perche
I don't mean to be rude, but I believe you were very seriously ripped off. These are the type of shenanigans that they pull on tourists that give Italy a bad name.
I hope he comes back and tells us that was round trip. Something tells me he got screwed, though. That was absolutely someone playing on the insecurities of a tourist, selling them the peace of mind of a pre-booked trip. I suppose there's a premium for that, but it's not a 120% premium.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:49 pm

With walking, train waits, hassle, etc. compounded by jet lag, it sounds like it may be worth the extra 20 Euros or so to just take a shuttle/limo service. Thanks!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:06 pm

I'd do the cab, but I always say that. But I don't really like transferring trains with luggage, nor do I look forward to a long walk with luggage after an overnight flight.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:19 am

I typically try to select my hotels so that they will be convenient to public transportation, if possible within easy walking distance of the main train station. My preferred hotel in Rome meets these conditions; about a 10 minute walk and in a good area.

With a morning arrival, there is little to be gained from a quick trip to the hotel...chances are you won't be able to lie down, anyway....so some activity via train and metro is probably a good thing.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
I typically try to select my hotels so that they will be convenient to public transportation, if possible within easy walking distance of the main train station. My preferred hotel in Rome meets these conditions; about a 10 minute walk and in a good area.

With a morning arrival, there is little to be gained from a quick trip to the hotel...chances are you won't be able to lie down, anyway....so some activity via train and metro is probably a good thing.
In Rome, and in most large Italian cities in general, the area near the main train station is usually run down and shady, and not a very desirable place to stay. In terms of lying down, I know it doesn't work for everyone, but for me it is not a good idea to lie down and nap on arrival. For me it is better to get adapted to the local time zone right away, go out and walk, and catch as much sunlight as possible.

Last edited by Perche; Jul 30, 2014 at 2:43 pm
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond
With walking, train waits, hassle, etc. compounded by jet lag, it sounds like it may be worth the extra 20 Euros or so to just take a shuttle/limo service. Thanks!
I'm just back from Rome. I got a taxi from FCO to Termini as my flight arrived around midnight. It was indeed a fixed fare of 48 Euros. The driver didn't expect a tip but I rounded it up to 50 Euros. There was little traffic at that time of night so the trip didn't take long.

I got the Leonardo Express back to FCO. The Express cost 14 Euros and seemed quite slow but it avoided any issues with traffic.

In view of the location of your hotel I'd second the suggestion to get a taxi (make sure it is one of the white metered cabs) straight from FCO to your hotel.

Given your arrival time the taxi may take a little longer than the Express and taxi combo due to traffic but IMO it will make for an easier arrival.

I was advised against Limo transfers on the basis that they might not hang around long if my flight was delayed. I've no idea if that is indeed an issue or not but I'd use the white metered taxi again without hesitation.

Have a great trip!
Old Jul 31, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Perche
In your position I'd take the cab. The cab is 48 euros, flat fee, no tip expected....
^

Fast and easy. Go to the official taxi line and get a white cab. You're spending far too much time worrying about this!
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace
^

Fast and easy. Go to the official taxi line and get a white cab. You're spending far too much time worrying about this!
I'm not spending any time "worrying" about this. I asked a question, got some helpful responses, and as a result booked a shuttle with romeshuttlelimousine.com two days ago.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 5:55 am

I'm not spending any time "worrying" about this. I asked a question, got some helpful responses, and as a result booked a shuttle with romeshuttlelimousine.com two days ago.
Welcome to Flyer Talk 2014 where info is free and so is the topspin.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
FCO ground transportation options

What are the options and approximate time and cost for us to get from FCO to Relais Trevi 41? There will be 4 of us. Each of us will carry a suitcase and small backpack type of a bag. We land on a Saturday in March at about 8 pm.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond; National Executive Elite
Going to Rome myself in March. There is a train from FCO to the main station in Rome (Termini station). Since there are 8 others traveling with me, I checked with the concierge at our hotel and they booked a direct transport for us straight to the hotel in central Rome. Cost was 110 euro.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by ksucats
What are the options and approximate time and cost for us to get from FCO to Relais Trevi 41? There will be 4 of us. Each of us will carry a suitcase and small backpack type of a bag. We land on a Saturday in March at about 8 pm.
With a decent-size taxi all four can get into one that will bring you to your hotel for 48 Euro (flat rate) or 96 if you have to take two cabs. Leonardo express is cheaper on a per person basis (14 Euro IIRC), but then you'll have to get into a cab from Termini (i.e. plus 5-10 Euro). Even cheaper (* Euro), "normal train" to Ostiense and a cab. In the last two cases you could substitute that cab by the Metro (1.5 Euro/person). Time needed more that 1 hour for the two train alternatives (including waiting time, etc.) and 30-60 min. for the cab, depending on the traffic (if id doesn't rain, it shouldn't be heavy at around 9 pm (you'll have to wait about 20-30 min. for you luggage). I would go for the taxi...

PS There is also a bus to Termini (at least I always see the big posters about that in the arrival hall), but I don't have the slightest idea for how much this costs.

PS2 There are also these black cars (usually Mercedes or BMW) that you can pre-order for slightly less than the price of the taxi, and which would fit all four of you. Unfortunately I've lost the phone numbers I used to have.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.