Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

FCO to Rome transportation options

Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JBD
Ground Transportation Options (Including Taxis, Trains, Buses and Shuttles) from 060608 - an Official Rome Tourist site
060608 Aeroporto di Fiumicino Leonardo da Vinci - Services and connections

Car Service Options Recommended by Many FTers Over Many Years
Stefano's Rome Cabs Cost 50 for one way transfer. (Price is for up to 3 people with luggage. Additional charges for more people and late night service).
TripAdvisor Reviews

Rome Shuttle Limousine Cost 50 for one way transfer. If booking a roundtrip there is a 5 discount. (Price is for up to 3 people with luggage. Additional charges for more people and late night service).
TripAdvisor Reviews

How To Check for Upcoming Transportation Strikes
Link to official website showing schedule of upcoming transport strikes (in Italian)
Link to site above, translated through google
Link to a search for strikes on website "Wanted in Rome". (This is a well maintained site geared to expats which will post info about upcoming strikes, usually a day or so beforehand).
Print Wikipost

FCO to Rome transportation options

Old Mar 11, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Stay in the city and take a cab/car to the airport. We did our last 2 nights in Rome at the St. Regis and had them work out the transportation - ended up being 50 euro for a towncar, I think (it's been a couple of years). Easy ride to FCO.

Now once at FCO, man is that place a cluster.
I like the word "cluster" - and it is so true. It was a cluster the last time we landed/departed from Rome and I have no doubt it will be the same in July.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Murphy123
I like the word "cluster" - and it is so true. It was a cluster the last time we landed/departed from Rome and I have no doubt it will be the same in July.
My favorite part is the giant spinning luggage shrink wrap machine. It's like the airport equivalent of a carnival ride.
Old May 18, 2014, 12:28 pm

I've looked through several threads, but I haven't had any luck finding the answer to this question:

What is the most cost efficient way to go from FCO to downtown Rome repeatedly (as I am staying at a hotel by the airport)? Preferably by rail (to minimize commute time).

More Detail:
My wife and I are looking at getting the Roma Pass, which comes with a metro pass, however it doesn't cover transportation to and from FCO.

I found this pass for transportation, and it shows the rail line to and from FCO and downtown Rome, but I'm not 100% sure that rail is included in the price. Does anyone have experience with this pass? Does it include rail transportation to and from FCO?

Is there a better way? Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:24 pm

Early morning transportation from Rome Termini to Rome FCO airport?

Our flight leaves out of FCO at 6:40AM, and the hotel we stay is close to Rome Termini Station. Never been Rome before. Need your advices.

When should we arrive at airport, that is, 3am, 4am or 5am?

Is the only transportation way the Taxi? I checked several bus sites. The earliest arriving time is 5:30-5:45am. I think it is too late.

If taking Taxi, what is the estimated cost from Termini to FCO?

Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2014, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by woodridge2012
Our flight leaves out of FCO at 6:40AM, and the hotel we stay is close to Rome Termini Station. Never been Rome before. Need your advices.

Is the only transportation way the Taxi? I checked several bus sites. The earliest arriving time is 5:30-5:45am. I think it is too late.

Thanks!
This data point is a couple years old, but I paid 50 euro for a towncar from the St. Regis to FCO. The St. Regis is pretty close to Termini - we walked on the way in. You might want to see if your hotel can arrange a car. At that price, I felt it was worth it.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by woodridge2012

Thanks!
Taxi has a fixed rate of 48E. It is not customary to tip a taxi in Italy. If you really feel good about the ride, it's OK to give a 50. They will appreciate it. Hotels usually can arrange a car, and it costs a few dollars more than a taxi. You can take a bus or a taxi at that hour, but hopefully you will be tired from staying out late and having a great last night in Rome, and the car will be worth it.

There are several terminals, 1,2,3,5. Not all are open all night. I think it's T2 that is, so you can get there early if you want. If you print your boarding pass and are not checking bags I wouldn't get there earlier than 5AM.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by FullMoonMadness
I've looked through several threads, but I haven't had any luck finding the answer to this question:

What is the most cost efficient way to go from FCO to downtown Rome repeatedly (as I am staying at a hotel by the airport)? Preferably by rail (to minimize commute time).
There is an express train from FCO airport to Rome Termini. I believe it runs every 30 minutes and takes about 30 minutes but is rather expensive, like about 16 Euros. At Rome Termini you can transfer to both subway lines.

There is also a slower regional train service which makes about 8 stops. It does not go to Rome Termini but it has transfers to the both of the Metro lines. I don't know the fare for this but believe it is considerably cheaper. If your hotel is not at the airport itself, it's possible one of the stops on this line is closer to the hotel.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Getting to Rome from FCO: with kiddos!

When my wife and I have traveled alone we don't care and can figure things out as we go. Usually. But with the kiddos (6 & 8) it has to be right or fight.

We fly into Rome on DL and arrive 9 July at 12:40pm local time.
I have no status with DL.
While they may serve eats on this flight as morning turns to mid day (I dunno, never flown into EU that late in the day--am accustomed to earlier flights with just a brekky snack at best) we figure our first order of business should be to get food. Maybe right IN the FCO terminal.

Then we wish to use Uber to get us from there to the Westin Excelsior.

You need a cell connection or wifi to get the service and order your car. I have actually never used them but would like to on this trip. Heard good things like how they have nice clean lux cars or vans with bottles of cold water, etc. I dunno. That would be nice if true.

Wife has Amex Plat Biz which does give lounge access in some places.
We both have AA Exec citi cards which give access in One World lounges.
Wife also has Priority Pass which gives access in some places too.

I started to think of using airport lounges (many do not nec require that you fly that airline to use the lounge if you have the above means to get entry) for a free entry for at least some of our party of 2 adults and 2 kiddos. And airport lounges have ways and means to refresh and get a bit of some food, and also mostly have wifi.

So the question is...

Does anyone know things like where said lounges are, if they have access with those CCs, if they have wifi, and food, and all that noise?

If so, we can freshen up after the flight, grab our things and call or use the mobile app for Uber and be on our way!

There was talk of the train system but unless I am mistaken it's not just right next door to the airport to get to it, and crowded hot trains in July would stink in more ways than one. After all this IS the beginning of our lux trip!

We are not set on my plan but given the situation, something like it would make sense. Thanks for any tips!

MM

On the 11th we go back to the airport (may use Uber again and have arranged them from the hotel this time) and then fly to Greece then later Denmark and finally to Holland.

I will be back home in time for the BOS DO and my family stays a bit longer in Holland with other family there.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
When my wife and I have traveled alone we don't care and can figure things out as we go. Usually. But with the kiddos (6 & 8) it has to be right or fight.

We fly into Rome on DL and arrive 9 July at 12:40pm local time.
I have no status with DL.
While they may serve eats on this flight as morning turns to mid day (I dunno, never flown into EU that late in the day--am accustomed to earlier flights with just a brekky snack at best) we figure our first order of business should be to get food. Maybe right IN the FCO terminal.

Then we wish to use Uber to get us from there to the Westin Excelsior.

You need a cell connection or wifi to get the service and order your car. I have actually never used them but would like to on this trip. Heard good things like how they have nice clean lux cars or vans with bottles of cold water, etc. I dunno. That would be nice if true.

Wife has Amex Plat Biz which does give lounge access in some places.
We both have AA Exec citi cards which give access in One World lounges.
Wife also has Priority Pass which gives access in some places too.

I started to think of using airport lounges (many do not nec require that you fly that airline to use the lounge if you have the above means to get entry) for a free entry for at least some of our party of 2 adults and 2 kiddos. And airport lounges have ways and means to refresh and get a bit of some food, and also mostly have wifi.

So the question is...

Does anyone know things like where said lounges are, if they have access with those CCs, if they have wifi, and food, and all that noise?

If so, we can freshen up after the flight, grab our things and call or use the mobile app for Uber and be on our way!

There was talk of the train system but unless I am mistaken it's not just right next door to the airport to get to it, and crowded hot trains in July would stink in more ways than one. After all this IS the beginning of our lux trip!

We are not set on my plan but given the situation, something like it would make sense. Thanks for any tips!

MM

On the 11th we go back to the airport (may use Uber again and have arranged them from the hotel this time) and then fly to Greece then later Denmark and finally to Holland.

I will be back home in time for the BOS DO and my family stays a bit longer in Holland with other family there.
Can you narrow this down?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

???
Originally Posted by Perche
Can you narrow this down?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 8:57 pm

Most of us here try to help as much as we can, but you're essentially asking us to google things for you. Break it down - you want a lounge. Check the AA site for any lounges at FCO based on that, then check the Amex Platinum lounge finder, then check the Priority Pass site.

Assuming you're flying DL ATL-FCO, you're likely to arrive at T3, based on what Flightstats is showing today.

You arrive into the sterile area and go through passport control, then get your luggage and go through customs. My last time through, I don't recall seeing an arrivals lounge - but even if there were, the lounges at FCO tend to be pretty bad, and I think all of them are post-security on the departures side.

There is a cab line right as you leave the terminal walking through customs. From there, it's a flat rate to any point within the city walls. That will honestly be more convenient than trying to Uber a car. You are far better off just heading to the hotel, cleaning up and getting a bite there or somewhere nearby.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks PWMTrav.

This is exactly what I was looking for and with this information I can better formulate what we do when we get there so I appreciate what you posted.

No I dont think I was asking people to spoon feed or google for me--sorry if my post looks that way-- I was looking for tid bits from people like yourself who have been thru there and know things I may not otherwise find. Hence one of the big reasons for FT.

In other areas such as the MS forum I too help many with things that seem obvious to some but are not always attainable by others. So it goes around and comes around. We all have knowledge of stuff that we share here.

Anyway thank you.

mm

Ps non stop alitalia is BOS-FCO but Ill look at terminals.

I guess the main premise of my post was to have people say things like, Oh we were just at FCO last month and we found this located here and that located there. This is the sort of thing I would tell people in here if I knew the airport and it was asked of me.

Last edited by Marathon Man; Jun 25, 2014 at 9:22 pm
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Most of us here try to help as much as we can, but you're essentially asking us to google things for you.
^^^
Old Jun 25, 2014, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Perche
^^^
Well like I added into my post as an edit afterwards...

"I guess the main premise of my post was to have people say things like, Oh we were just at FCO last month and we found this located here and that located there. This is the sort of thing I would tell people in here if I knew the airport and it was asked of me."

Now if you (plr) were to ask me, "Hey MM I am flying to BTV and need to know where the best beer breweries in New England are or how far it is to Huntington Gorge," I would probably start gleefully writing a 7 paragraph post about everything I can help with on northern Vermont.

Or if you were to ask me how to get a family of 4 from BOS to Rome and Greece and Copenhagen and Amsterdam with all hotels and flights included for just several hundred dollars, I would probably offer help with that too.

I may be in the wrong part of FT or maybe there's something going on in the alignment of the planets or something WAY WAY off about the way my initial post was written to extract the wrong types of replies but I am kinda sorta maybe wishing there were more people in here willing to do what I would do for them than not.

Then again, maybe I am just an idealist. I may just go with the tips PWMTrav listed and leave it at that. Other than that valued info, I am a bit disappointed in my fellow FTers here... so far.

I wish to be proven wrong though on that.

MM
Old Jun 25, 2014, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
There are no such facilities at FCO, all of the lounges are for departures and are inside security. They are also notoriously awful.

Its about a 10 minute walk from the terminal to the train. It costs c. 12EU/person - so when you consider 4 pax + then having to take a cab from Termini to the Westin, there are preferable alternatives. Rather than uber, contact the Westin and have them arrange a car service to meet you and get you to the hotel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.