Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Which sim for a local number + data, Rome, 3 days ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2015, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm expecting a short visit to Rome (staying there for around 3 days), and will need a local number for occasional calls (such as calling the hotel), and a modest data plan for checking emails and light web surfing.

I'd appreciate suggestions which sim should I go for (the cheaper the better). I'd prefer getting a SIM which I can purchase straight at the airport.

Is there a sim on a daily basis, which I can topup?. I've read on the forum about the "TIM Welcome" option, but it seems excessive for my needs.

What's the procedure for purchasing such a local number SIM in Italy?.

Thanks
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by mzzxx11
Hi,

I'm expecting a short visit to Rome (staying there for around 3 days), and will need a local number for occasional calls (such as calling the hotel), and a modest data plan for checking emails and light web surfing.

I'd appreciate suggestions which sim should I go for (the cheaper the better). I'd prefer getting a SIM which I can purchase straight at the airport.

Is there a sim on a daily basis, which I can topup?. I've read on the forum about the "TIM Welcome" option, but it seems excessive for my needs.

What's the procedure for purchasing such a local number SIM in Italy?.

Thanks
If you are only going there for three days, maybe you can call your regular US carrier and ask them about their international data plan. Usually you can buy 50 texts, 30 minutes on the phone, and 200 MB of data for less than you would pay for a new SIM. Now, if you were going to Italy for three weeks instead of three days, that would be different. For three days, I wouldn't bother.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:47 am

Yup, for 3 days I'd see what your current carrier can offer. If you go into a TIM store, it's going to be around 20 euro for an activated SIM with a little bit of value on it. I think they do have some pay by the day plans, but for 3 days it might be cheaper to go with your current carrier. And on top of that, you have to waste your time finding a store and getting service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.