Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Into Milan - Where from there?

Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

My GF and I took advantage of the EWR-MXP fare and are headed to Italy (not the only place currently considering) and are looking for suggestions on where to go from there. We arrive the morning of February the 7th and fly back the 12th. I have been to Milan, but she hasn't so I'll probably take her to the Duomo and see the fashion area and maybe the Last Supper painting.

Our first thought is to take the train and do Venice for 2 nights and then take the train to Florence and do 3 nights there before heading back to Milan.

My question is where else within driving distance/train would you recommend? We are both big skiers, so we were looking at Austria, Chamonix and the Dolomites. We love the idea of quaint snowy mountain towns and also love great food and wine.

Would like to keep the "total" travel time to a minimum. The trains to Venice/Florence are only a few hours. Wouldn't want to give up an entire day traveling unless it was driving in the Alps or something along those lines as in that case the journey is part of the adventure.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by jbp32
...We arrive the morning of February the 7th and fly back the 12th. I have been to Milan, but she hasn't so I'll probably take her to the Duomo and see the fashion area and maybe the Last Supper painting.

Our first thought is to take the train and do Venice for 2 nights and then take the train to Florence and do 3 nights there before heading back to Milan.

My question is where else within driving distance/train would you recommend?
From the 7th to 12th it's exactly 5 nights. How do you plan to squeeze a skiing tour between Venice and Florence, even if this were really close to Milan? No way!

EDITED: I had written skiing tour, not king tour! I really have to tur off this automatic correction mode of Safari!

Last edited by KLouis; Jan 22, 2015 at 8:43 pm Reason: Corrected my computer's corrections!
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by KLouis
From the 7th to 12th it's exactly 5 nights. How do you plan to squeeze a king tour between Venice and Florence, even if this were really close to Milan? No way!
Don't forget, they also want to visit Austria, Chamonix in Southern France, and the Italian Dolomites to go skiing too, while keeping their driving/travel time to a minimum. This is an unsalvagable itinerary.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:07 am
Original Poster

No need to get snarky. The question is for alternatives, not in addition to Milan/Venice/Florence. Like, would you recommend Chamonix over Venice/Florence or do Austria over Chamonix or Venice Florence.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Sorry, but with five days you only have time to choose one of those places, and it shouldn't be Milan. In your shoes, since you like skiing, I'd head straight to Torino, where thy held th 2006 Winter Olympics. Stay there for one night, then head to one of the ski resorts. On the 11th, have your last run, head back to Milan. Bypass it, go straight to th le Sheraton MXP, and come home in the morning. That would be a skiers dream trip. All other vacations to Italy that try to pack in a visit to another city everyday are really just opportunities to take photos.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:06 pm

Go skiing. You have 4 days. Have a blast!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.