Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upcoming Italy Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Upcoming Italy Itinerary

Hi, I was just looking for some help planning an upcoming 9 day visit to Italy in August. We will probably be flying into Rome from JFK on AA and then back to JFK.

I think I narrowed down visiting two out of the three cities I was looking into: Rome, Venice, and Florence to just Rome and Florence.

Is that too few cities in 9 days? Also, are those the best two cities to visit? My fiance wants to visit Sicily, and I wanted to check out the Amalfi coast, but it seems like we do not have enough time for that.

Any recommendations on things to do and things we need to book in advance? I know the Vatican has tours that allow you to skip the line which I will book, but I was just wondering if there was anything else.

Also, is it too hot in August for Italy? We just got back from Vietnam last year, so nothing will compare to that heat, but I keep reading that you shouldn't go to Italy in August because it is just too hot and humid.

Thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:08 am

I personally think two cities in 9 days is great if you like to travel slowly and do a lot of hanging out, getting lost, eating, drinking, etc in addition to touring the sights.

If you do 9 days, I'd do 5 in Rome and 4 in Florence.

Hot is subjective. If you live in the Southern US, Rome and Florence will feel pretty good to you in the summer. It tends to get up into the mid-80's, but the humidity isn't terrible.

August can be hit or miss for some things - a lot of the country is on vacation throughout the month. Italians themselves are heading for the coast. In the major tourist areas, you'll still find plenty open to see and eat, but if you had your heart set on any specific meals, they might not happen.

I would book as much in advance as you can. June-August is peak tourist season in both cities. I have some specific suggestions for Florence that I'll PM you (I'm not sure who wants their email addresses out in the open or not), which I know pretty well. For Rome, hopefully others can chime in.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:33 am

We were in Italy a few years ago in August. I don't speak Italian, but I swear the weatherman said on Italian tv that it was "hot as balls".

In any event, I think PWMTrav has a pretty good split.

The train is easy for travel between the two cities.

You can do a day trip to Pompeii from Rome.

The best tour in Rome is http://www.darkrome.com/tours/vatica...an-tours-guide

What is nice about that tour is that you get to visit the Sistine Chapel with just your group of about 12 people. Usually, it's hundreds if not thousands of people and your guide can talk to you. This tour is a guide and a guard from the Vatican. They'll open locked doors just for your group. It's very expensive, but soooooo worth it!

Have a great trip!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Be forewarned that Italy goes on vacation in August so lots of places will be closed (particularly restaurants and even more so for good ones and particularly in the cities which people escape to go to the beach, lakes or mountains). Two cities in 9 days in Italy is a good pace.

If you wanted to mix things up a bit and do one city and spend the time for the other in a more "vacationy" place that would work too. Amalfi, Capri are very popular at that time for Italians. there's pluses with that (the good restaurants are open as that is their busy season) and minuses (traffic, crowds).
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I did more research into the August thing and it's not looking good.

I am trying to visit Italy for the culture as well as the sights, so the fact that there may be more tourists than locals does not sound so great.

I may try to change my travel dates in mid October, that way I can get the MileSaaver Off Peak awards as well.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by raekwonse
Thanks! I did more research into the August thing and it's not looking good.

I am trying to visit Italy for the culture as well as the sights, so the fact that there may be more tourists than locals does not sound so great.

I may try to change my travel dates in mid October, that way I can get the MileSaaver Off Peak awards as well.
October is a good time in many ways. If weather matters, go south and it is more reliable but it is also reasonable further north. The south does have culture but it is more ancient (Pompeii, Romania, Greek) if you are more inclined to the Renaissance, Florence & Tuscany are great.

Depending on your definition of culture (period, type - architecture, music, art...) Italy has a lot to offer and the fall opens the door to all of those dimensions.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:31 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
August is hot, mainly in center/south, but last few years have been surprisingly good with no 40°C peak.
Sicily may differ though.
October is certainly a better choice, if you can easily change plans.
Amalfi coast, Sorrento and Capri resume breathing and overall better value for money anywhere.
IMO in this month of the year Sicily option should definitely be considered.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
We were in Florence maybe 4 years ago in August and did not find much in the way of touristy things to be unavailable. Our favorite coffee place (local) was closed for the first portion of our trip but we made up for it later The ex-pat restaurants were still open. I am positive some local places were closed in Florence. Note that some recommended places in Venice were closed.

We were in Florence for a few days split as follows:

First 2/3 days in Florence at Hotel Lungarno (highly recommended), they kept our luggage and we took the high speed rail to Venice for 2 days/1 night (a short ride - under 2 hours), then back to Florence for one day/one night and flew back the next day.

We booked tickets in advance for the museums and some of the sites, like the Palazzo Vecchio, were open in the evening which was a nice surprise. Make sure to arrange tickets in advance for what you'd like as there were still a lot of tourists there.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your help. I've got a lot to plan.

Does anyone know when the construction at the Trevi Fountain will be completed?

I want to do my best Anita Ekberg impression when I get there.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
The restoration is planned to be completed for the 2015 fall, thus you seem to be out of luck for August.
I'm not holding my breath for an advanced end in time for the peak season.
A premature work conclusion would not do justice to the story of my country .
Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:46 am

Programs: United-1K, Million Miler; SPG-Titanium and Lifetime Platinum; Globalist
October would be an awesome time to be in Italy. I think the summer is too hot, and way too crowded with tourists. The train is really easy and the best mode of transport. I would encourage getting off on some other stops and experiencing the smaller towns. I just did a trip through Emilia Romana and it was incredible. Modena and Parma are excellent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.