Wiki Posts
Search

Florence at Easter (April 4-5 2015)?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Florence at Easter (April 4-5 2015)?

Our plans have extended from Venice to include a few days in Florence with our daughter and her son, arriving saturday and leaving on tuesday. We realize its Easter: will there be a lot of things closed? I plan to book ahead for the Uffizi.

Any hints on a hotel: we'd need two rooms,not necessarily connecting, preferably with a view (I know, touristy) in the $ 2-300 a night range. Has any one any experience with the Monna Lisa? A friend recommended that place.
Thanks
Old Jan 12, 2015, 1:20 pm

The Uffizi is closed every Monday. Their website doesn't list Easter as a closure, but I'd really wonder about that, as the website won't sell you tickets for Sunday, April 5. I'd assume it closed, but I've never been there over Easter. That would basically give you Saturday, so get those tickets!

I'd imagine quite a bit will be closed on Easter, and a good chunk on Pasquetta (Easter Monday). However, on Easter itself in Piazza del Duomo, there's the Scoppio del Carro - it involves an oxcart and fireworks and is something I plan to see in person some day Restaurants might be tough - offhand I don't know who's open, but if you're set on these dates I can check on some of the places I like if you want.

Is your budget $2-300 total, or per room?

Early April isn't usually busy compared to the summer months, but I'd expect an uptick in traffic due to Easter. Probably not as bad as Rome. The weather will be nice that time of year.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:53 pm

Programs: Delta GM, ST E+, SPG Gold
Cities are generally crowded during Easter. Also, if you're planning on taking the train from Venice to Florence, I would suggest taking care of your reservations soon, as the trains get crowded during this holiday...lots of people traveling to visit relatives.

PM me...I will give you some hotel suggestions. You'll have no problem getting a hotel room....although city center Firenze can be costly...depends on the property.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by upgradeluvr
Cities are generally crowded during Easter. Also, if you're planning on taking the train from Venice to Florence, I would suggest taking care of your reservations soon, as the trains get crowded during this holiday...lots of people traveling to visit relatives.

PM me...I will give you some hotel suggestions. You'll have no problem getting a hotel room....although city center Firenze can be costly...depends on the property.
I checked Granduomo, where I stayed last Feb, and it's about $400 a night for a 2BR apartment. That's really not a bad deal for the location, so I imagine he'll have no trouble finding something if his total budget is $300 for 4 people.

I'm not too worried about crowds as much as I am everything being closed for 3 of the 4 days they have in the city. What I'm not sure about are restaurants, but if he's set on going I'll call a few places and ask.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by mmack
Has any one any experience with the Monna Lisa? A friend recommended that place.
Thanks
I used that hotel for a group stay a few years ago and it wasn't a good experience. The rooms weren't that nice and there was a problem with mosquitoes. Everyone left covered in bites.

My room was a single and it was like someplace you'd put a maid in. Very tiny - I couldn't even open my suitcase anyplace other than on my bed. The twin rooms were better but still not great. I don't think anyone in the group would have wanted to stay there again. But YMMV, of course. There are probably nicer rooms, they just weren't assigned to anyone in our group.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Thanks for your help, everyone. Will book the Uffizi as soon as possible.

We have gone ahead and booked Firenze Number Nine Hotel, a Family Suite, so will report back. It looks nice.

I so hope the shoe stores are not all closed! But I'm sure we'll enjoy Easter in Florence.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:10 pm

Not sure if you're male, but if you are, Quercioli is where I get most of my shoes. Some really cool stuff, either for casual or business wear. I have a couple pairs that need to be reheeled - wanna drop them off for me?

Do you want some help finding Easter dinner?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
I too will be in FLR over Easter, also leaving on Tuesday but taking the train back to VCE. For the Uffizi I booked a 'tour' with Art Viva-
www.artviva.com

I opted for the Florence in One Day tour which we split up over two days. The day we arrive (4/1) we'll be going with them to the Accademia then the next day we do their city walk in the morning then the Uffizi tour in the afternoon.

Sounds like your set with your hotel. I have to decide on a hotel myself though I'm looking more in the under $200/night range. Our schedule is fairly full (except Monday is open) so we don't plan on spending a lot of time at a hotel.

I've read a number of museums are closed on Monday's in general though I'd be interested to know if others that are typically open on Monday would close on Mon 6th as it's a holiday. Again from what I've read on some museum sites, they don't list the 6th as a holiday for closing purposes so I presume those that are usually open on Mondays will be open.

Sorry to disappoint PWMTrav. We have a Tuscany tour booked on Easter so we'll miss the fireworks display as we'll be getting out of town early. I would be interested in some reasonably priced restaurant recommendations though. It's looking like we will be staying in the general area of the Duomo if that matters.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:24 pm

I'm traveling to the west coast right now, but I'm going to try and call some restaurants for both of you tomorrow. The time difference makes it a pain in the butt

I'd suggest calling any museum that you plan to visit on Easter Monday, since that is generally observed as a holiday in Italy.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

easter is an "at home" family holiday. although florence is always a zoo, most other places are not too crowded. sunday is a holiday, much of italy also has monday off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.