Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

How is Radisson Blu in Rome?

Old Nov 3, 2014, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold

Using the Club Carlson credit card to get 2 nights for price of 1 using my points. Tough deal to beat.
Wondering how far location is from 'action' and center. Also, how far from train station (coming in from Florence and leaving to Milan by train).

Address is: Via Filippo Turati 171. Rome, 00185

Thanks
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
It's not located in the best part of the city and would not be my first choice as an area to stay, but lots of tourists stay in the big hotels nearby. The area is a little decrepit, but it is only about 6 blocks from the hotel to the entrance to the Termini train station. You would be near some sites such as Santa Maria Maggiore and some major Rome museums with extraordinary archeological finds but would have a bit of a walk--entirely do-able, though--down the hill to the Coliseum. Actually, the walk downhill is easy. It's the return that makes you feel the steps in the hill. The Trevi Fountain, also a little bit of a walk, is under constructions (well, so is the Coliseum). Ditto for the Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, and Campo de' Fiori. You could walk to them but might want to find another way back. If you go six blocks from the hotel, you'll see lots of buses in front of the Termini, and those will take you all over the city. By the way the number of stars awarded to hotels in Italy identify the kinds and numbers of amenities offered (restaurant, elevator etc), not the quality of the hotels.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by Joanna2360
It's not located in the best part of the city and would not be my first choice as an area to stay, but lots of tourists stay in the big hotels nearby. The area is a little decrepit, but it is only about 6 blocks from the hotel to the entrance to the Termini train station. You would be near some sites such as Santa Maria Maggiore and some major Rome museums with extraordinary archeological finds but would have a bit of a walk--entirely do-able, though--down the hill to the Coliseum. Actually, the walk downhill is easy. It's the return that makes you feel the steps in the hill. The Trevi Fountain, also a little bit of a walk, is under constructions (well, so is the Coliseum). Ditto for the Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, and Campo de' Fiori. You could walk to them but might want to find another way back. If you go six blocks from the hotel, you'll see lots of buses in front of the Termini, and those will take you all over the city. By the way the number of stars awarded to hotels in Italy identify the kinds and numbers of amenities offered (restaurant, elevator etc), not the quality of the hotels.
Thanks. Last time in Rome I stayed at Westin Excelsior which I believe is walking distance from St. Regis. Is this hotel far from there?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by anandrag
Using the Club Carlson credit card to get 2 nights for price of 1 using my points. Tough deal to beat.
Wondering how far location is from 'action' and center. Also, how far from train station (coming in from Florence and leaving to Milan by train).

Address is: Via Filippo Turati 171. Rome, 00185

Thanks
If that's where you have to stay for points or the deal, no one could argue with that. That's a personal decision. Also, if it's just an overnight, it doesn't matter that much where you stay. You won't like it, but you wake up, go to the train station, and leave. However, if you are going there to actually visit Rome and stay there for a few nights, that's just a bad area. It's far from the sights, it's not scenic, it's in a run down, ugly neighborhood. Especially at night. You can't just go out and, "go for a stroll." You won't want to be out there at night. It's bad enough to be near the train station, but this is along the train station but more or less down the tracks a few blocks.

How far from the "action?" It's not central at all. Twenty minute walk to the Colosseo, the first attraction you'll probably want to see. It's not a place to bring family for a vacation. If you are by yourself and just want a place to crash near the train station and to use points, it is fine. Otherwise, not a good choice.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:22 pm

Thanks. Last time in Rome I stayed at Westin Excelsior which I believe is walking distance from St. Regis. Is this hotel far from there?
Half an hour walk, a universe away in quality and neighborhood.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Yes, agree with Perche' on all points. The Westin Excelsior is on an exceptionally nice street, Via Veneto, once famous for La Dolce Vita and the movie stars who were said to spend their time there. The American Embassy is nearby. There are trees and nice shops. There are white-tablecloth outdoor restaurants entirely encased in glass. There is nothing remotely like that near the Radisson Blu, which as Perche' says seems most suitable for a quick stay with a transfer in and out of Rome by train rather than as a vacation stop. On the other hand, I have tried to warn friends passing through Rome from staying in that area, and they have stayed there anyway and spoken of the pleasures of rooftop bars and views.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Joanna2360
Yes, agree with Perche' on all points. The Westin Excelsior is on an exceptionally nice street, Via Veneto, once famous for La Dolce Vita and the movie stars who were said to spend their time there. The American Embassy is nearby. There are trees and nice shops. There are white-tablecloth outdoor restaurants entirely encased in glass. There is nothing remotely like that near the Radisson Blu, which as Perche' says seems most suitable for a quick stay with a transfer in and out of Rome by train rather than as a vacation stop. On the other hand, I have tried to warn friends passing through Rome from staying in that area, and they have stayed there anyway and spoken of the pleasures of rooftop bars and views.
Thanks. Any suggestions of specific rooftop bars that they liked there?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 7:34 am

Rooftop bars in Rome are easy to find. And unlike the Radisson Blu that looks over the train tracks and disturbs your peace with a loudspeaker announcement coming from the train station every five minutes, they overlook the Colosseo, Forum, St. Peters, and other great sites.

Grand Hotel Plaza
St. George Hotel
Albergo Cesari (just OK, nothing special)
Hotel Forum
Palazzo Manfredi
Hotel Raphael
Hotel Exedra (Not the best neighborhood though. Fairly close to the Radisson actually, but in a much better part of that area. It also has a pool.)
Hotel Minerva
First Luxury Art Hotel
Rome Cavalieri (poorly situated. Nice neighborhood, but too far from everything.)
Hotel Bernini Bristol
47 Hotel

And on and on. Rooftop bars are not hard to find in Rome.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan
It is terrible. People from my husband's conference that was held at the Radisson Blu a few years ago are still talking about it.

If you look at the Trip Advisor reviews, there is one that is dead on - it basically reads that the architect that designed the Blu had obviously never stayed there. I would ignore the favourable reviews because out of 60 people in my husband's group not one person liked the hotel.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Horning in on this thread: what is the IQ Roma hotel like? I know its near the train station.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Any good restaurants near the Radisson?
Old Dec 12, 2014, 1:41 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
I have stayed twice at at Radisson Blu (using Euro Bonus points from SAS), and while the area is not the best, I would not hesitate staying there again for points.

True: the bathrooms are badly constructed (the Junior Suite where we stayed the last time doesn't have the same privacy issues as the standard rooms, but water flooded the walkway ouside the shower), but the rooms are confortable, the bar serves good food, the breakfast is excellent and the roof top pool is great in summer. I am a train buff, and rather enjoy the view over Termini. There is also a side entrance to Termini just one block from the hotel. That used to be the terminal and tracks for the Leonardo Express to FCO. That unfortunately has moved into the main station, but the entrance is still open, and offers better access to the station than walking the streets to the main entrance.

There is a Metro stop two blocks from the hotel, and the hotel is easily accessible by taxi.

All-in-all a better hotel than the rumours will have it. It is certainly run like a four-star, and at a good price (or using miles/points) still in the running.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ksu
I have stayed twice at at Radisson Blu (using Euro Bonus points from SAS), and while the area is not the best, I would not hesitate staying there again for points.

True: the bathrooms are badly constructed (the Junior Suite where we stayed the last time doesn't have the same privacy issues as the standard rooms, but water flooded the walkway ouside the shower), but the rooms are confortable, the bar serves good food, the breakfast is excellent and the roof top pool is great in summer. I am a train buff, and rather enjoy the view over Termini. There is also a side entrance to Termini just one block from the hotel. That used to be the terminal and tracks for the Leonardo Express to FCO. That unfortunately has moved into the main station, but the entrance is still open, and offers better access to the station than walking the streets to the main entrance.

There is a Metro stop two blocks from the hotel, and the hotel is easily accessible by taxi.

All-in-all a better hotel than the rumours will have it. It is certainly run like a four-star, and at a good price (or using miles/points) still in the running.
Late follow up post to my original post from Oct last year... Ended up staying at Blu in Rome. It was definitely not as easy as staying in city but price/quality ratio was tough to beat. Ended up taking bus into city every day which was really easy. Took a cab back once but overall savings vs staying at Westin or so were huge. Would stay there again
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, CC Gold, SPG Gold, AA Exec Platinum
Late follow up post to my original post from Oct last year... Ended up staying at Blu in Rome. It was definitely not as easy as staying in city but price/quality ratio was tough to beat. Ended up taking bus into city every day which was really easy. Took a cab back once but overall savings vs staying at Westin or so were huge. Would stay there again
Can't beat the value at 88k for 4 nights but I sure hope it isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

Seems like the complaints have been location & scenery & service? For me it seems everything except Vatican is walk able so I don't see an issue with that unless its safety? And since we are on a budget we don't mind that its not an aspirational hotel like the westin.

Will report back after the trip.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Justtony
Can't beat the value at 88k for 4 nights but I sure hope it isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

Seems like the complaints have been location & scenery & service? For me it seems everything except Vatican is walk able so I don't see an issue with that unless its safety? And since we are on a budget we don't mind that its not an aspirational hotel like the westin.

Will report back after the trip.
There's no need to choose between a run down place in a bad neighborhood vs a hotel like the Westin, anymore than you have to choose between the Radisson in Manhattan or the Waldorf

I've never stayed at the Westin in Rome, but I wouldn't stay at the Blu either. There are great hotels located in great neighborhoods that cost less than the Blu, which is right across from the train station in a bad neighborhood that does not typify what people go to Rome to experience. It's about a mile and a quarter walk through not so nice neighborhoods to get to what I would consider the nearest major site (Colosseo), and over 2 miles to walk to the heart of the attractions like the Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, the Pantheon etc. The latter are not easy to get to by bus. You'd need to take a cab home because there are safety issues going back to the train station late at night, as there are around most train stations in Italy.

You can spend 200 euros per night for a weekend at the Radisson Blu, 500 euros per night for the Westin Excelsior, or stay in an excellent neighborhood in the heart of the action for less than it costs to stay at the Blu. I can't speak about the value of redeeming Carlson points and whether or not it's worth diminishing a vacation by staying near the train station to redeem them, but I wouldn't think so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.