Wiki Posts
Search

Kayaking the Canals of Venice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2014, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Kayaking the Canals of Venice

I know this isn't for everyone, but I just did a six hour guided tour of Venice by kayak, and it was one of the most amazing things I've ever done here.

There is a company on the island of Certosa called Venice Kayak. It's a ten minute vaporetto ride from Venice. They provide all that you need, including an expert guide. To go out in a single kayak you must have some basic paddling experience. However, a tandem kayak is wider, sits deeper in the water, and is so stable that you pretty much would have to force it to tip it over, and no experience is required.

Once you cross back over to Venice they take you to places that for certain, you have never been before. I've been told that 80% of Venice is only accessible by water. The walkways were made for servants who weren't allowed, or couldn't afford to have boats. In other words, most of Venice can only be seen by water. That's the part you get to see by kayak. We also cruised up and down the Grand Canal, under Ponte Rialto, etc, but about 85% was easy paddling on still water in back canals.

A gondola is no help in seeing the city. Because of the crowds right now walking the streets from Piazza San Marco to Ponte Rialto during the day time means taking three steps forward, then stopping, then repeat. In the kayaks when we were close to Piazza San Marco the gondola traffic was the same way, with the bow of one practically touching the stern of the one in front. Out in the back canals we would occasionally see a stray gondola, but for the most part the gondole stay clustered around the central area.

I was told that about half of the customers have never kayaked before, and the average age is 50. That pertains to a tandem kayak. There's really no risk of getting hurt. Some people squeeze in some skiing when visiting certain parts of Italy, France, etc. Kayaking Venice is much safer. There's a risk of getting wet, but no real chance of breaking a leg or getting hurt.

If you did tip over you'd have a flotation device on, and the guide would have you back in the kayak and squared away in a minute or two. The guide I had hasn't had anyone tip over this year.

As I said, this isn't for everyone. You have to know how to swim, be comfortable around water, and be reasonably fit. If that describes you, consider a kayak tour of Venice, as it is a unique and unforgettable experience.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 11:48 am

Sounds like real fun!
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:51 pm

Add this to my list of things to do. Thanks!

May I ask, how the heck are you out kayaking in Venice on a Monday while the rest of us suckers have to work?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Add this to my list of things to do. Thanks!

May I ask, how the heck are you out kayaking in Venice on a Monday while the rest of us suckers have to work?
Well, actually, I did it this past Saturday. But they do go out every day. Today while walking back to my apartment along a very small canal far out in Castello, four kayakers led by one of the guides actually paddled right by me. They also have kayak trips at night, where you wear headlamps, and also kayak trips to Burano, Torcello, and a few others.

Here's a short video of what it's like in a single, which I did from having some experience. http://www.venicekayak.com

With no paddling experience, most people can do it in a double.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:03 pm

Thanks. I suppose this isn't the best activity for the normal times we go to Italy (Jan/Feb), but definitely something we need to do if we go in the early fall.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Sounds like a great thing to do. Wish I'd heard about it before my last trip.
Old May 14, 2017, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Venice is all about water, not about Piazza San Marco. One of the reasons it became one of the most powerful countries on earth was its dominance of the water. I like to kayak there. You can also go out on a batello, which is something like a gondola, but you have to have someone wth you, or you will surely end up in the water. It is extremely inexpensive to do this, compared to hiring a gondola. It's run by Venetian woman who don't want the old traditions to die.
https://rowvenice.org

Now, a fairly recently opened business allows you to zoom around the lagoon in your own motor boat. It was written up in the NY Times. As with kayaking, I would not suggest this to anybody, unless they already know how to navigate a motorboat. You have to pass a test. Most people won't pass, then they supply the motor boat driver.

I would recommend the ladies with the batello for anyone, even if you've never been on a boat before, but driving around in a motorized boat could be a lot of fun, but is not for everyone. The canals are very treacherous, and have their own rules. I'll probably try it. Here is the NY Times article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/t...e=sectionfront
Old May 15, 2017, 10:39 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Perche
Venice is all about water, not about Piazza San Marco. One of the reasons it became one of the most powerful countries on earth was its dominance of the water. I like to kayak there. You can also go out on a batello, which is something like a gondola, but you have to have someone wth you, or you will surely end up in the water. It is extremely inexpensive to do this, compared to hiring a gondola. It's run by Venetian woman who don't want the old traditions to die.
https://rowvenice.org

Now, a fairly recently opened business allows you to zoom around the lagoon in your own motor boat. It was written up in the NY Times. As with kayaking, I would not suggest this to anybody, unless they already know how to navigate a motorboat. You have to pass a test. Most people won't pass, then they supply the motor boat driver.

I would recommend the ladies with the batello for anyone, even if you've never been on a boat before, but driving around in a motorized boat could be a lot of fun, but is not for everyone. The canals are very treacherous, and have their own rules. I'll probably try it. Here is the NY Times article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/t...e=sectionfront
One of the reasons I enjoyed Donna Leon's most recent novel, Earthly Remains is that the batello is prominently featured. Moreover, the focus is on life in the outer islands of the lagoon. This is why I found the recent New York Times "Venice-Lagoon-Boating article so compelling. The photographs in the article were beautiful. I am a strong advocate of getting out of the mainstream Venice locations and occasionally visiting an outer island. I particularly like Torcello. Although, the article has prompted me to consider visiting some other islands on my next visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.