Wiki Posts
Search

Going to Italy on an EU ID

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:52 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 5:45 pm
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Perche
This is just an opinion, but I wouldn't take a chance. I think, but do not know, that that you will have almost no chance of getting into Italy.
And on what are you basing this opinion? Immigration rules are not a matter of opinion.

Fact is that a national ID card issued by any EU member state is a valid travel document for entering all other EU member states. So, as long as he can get on the flight the OP will, with absolute 100% certainty, be able to enter Italy on his EU ID card. It is a valid travel document.

And I can't see how an airline can refuse to let someone on a flight if they have a valid travel document for their destination. All airlines are interested in is whether or not the passenger has a travel document that lets them enter their destination country. Which, clearly, is the case with the OP.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Aviatrix

And I can't see how an airline can refuse to let someone on a flight if they have a valid travel document for their destination. All airlines are interested in is whether or not the passenger has a travel document that lets them enter their destination country. Which, clearly, is the case with the OP.
The US has a rule that requires common carrier airlines to generally require a passport from passengers flying into or out of the US. That a free person is admissible in the US and/or in the destination country doesn't satisfy that US rule applicable to common carrier flights into or out of the US.

Give it to my government to complicate things.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The US has a rule that requires common carrier airlines to generally require a passport from passengers flying into or out of the US.
Thanks for this piece of information. "Into" makes sense, "out of" doesn't if it stops people from being allowed to return to their own countries using a valid travel document that is acceptable for entry to that country. But if that's the rule then I guess there is nothing that can be done.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 1:44 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:29 am
Old Sep 7, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
This is just an opinion, but I wouldn't take a chance. I think, but do not know, that that you will have almost no chance of getting into Italy. If you were allowed to leave, and were allowed into Italy, it might be the worst thing because upon return you might not get back into the USA. Even a US citizen won't be allowed back into the country using just an ID card and no passport.
As I said, this is my opinion, but it seems to be true based upon reviewing the relevant websites. Of course a US citizen will eventually get in, but not by just walking through the passport control lane.

Originally Posted by lambchop222
Hmmm..... I thought the US green card I have serves as a "passport" for re-entry to the States.
Originally Posted by lambchop222
Hi,

I live in the US on a green card. I am from an EU country, originally. I don't have a US passport because I haven't qualified for one yet time-wise.

I'd like to go to Italy on a UA flight but my original EU country passport has expired. My EU ID card is still valid for years to come.

My doubts are.... Italy might let me in solely on my European ID, from what I've heard, but will the US itself let me out on a US green card/EU ID combo alone?..... Or will the ticket desk agents of the airline obligate me to have a valid EU passport instead of my EU ID card?
In theory, you are allowed to leave the US with just a green card. http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../passport.aspx. But it states specifically that a green card alone is not enough to allow you to get back in.

I repeatedly have seen US citizens arrive (from Asia/ANZ, continental Europe and South America) at US airports without a US (or any other) passport; and the delay to get to the car in the US airport parking lot or to the roadside curb landside has been anything from a minute to a couple of hours longer than for others.

The following quoted section is also misleading and peddling a fiction:

Now here are the facts: CBP doesn't issue passports; and the US citizen doesn't need to go through the process of getting (or waiting for) a passport on arrival at the US airport in order to be admitted into the US as a US citizen.

A little information mixed with misinformation is a dangerous thing, especially when unfamiliar with all the relevant information and ignorant of the entire context of the legal and regulatory regime and practices relevant to the rights of a US citizen to be admitted/re-admitted into the US at a port of entry in the US.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and their own opinion about the facts, but no one is entitled to make up "facts" that aren't facts.

The fact is that US citizens at a US airports of entry are subject to a form of routine admission into the US even when no passport is in possession of the US citizen at the port of entry. The US citizen doesn't need to wait on arrival at the airport in the US for a passport to be issued in order to be admitted by CBP.
Now here are the facts; the OP is not a US citizen, and he has never held a US passport.

You said, "A little information mixed with misinformation is a dangerous thing, especially when unfamiliar with all the relevant information and ignorant of the entire context of the legal and regulatory regime and practices relevant to the rights of a US citizen to be admitted/re-admitted into the US at a port of entry in the US."

Yes, a little misinformation can be very dangerous to the OP since you are comparing apples to moonbeams; he is not a US citizen, and the same rules do not apply.

Originally Posted by FlyTrey
I don't think that's true. As long as you are an italian citizen you can enter Italy on just your ID card, it doesn't matter where you come from.The airline only requires you to have a valid document for entering the country you're flying to, so in theory you should be ok.

But you must get a new passport while you're in Italy if you want to return to the US.
According to the US State Department, although I could be wrong, a passport may be required to enter Italy even if he has an EU ID: http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...act-sheet.html
Travel to European Countries in the Schengen Area

Check the expiration date on your passport carefully before traveling to Europe. Entry into any of the 26 European countries in the Schengen area for short-term tourism, a business trip, or in transit to a non-Schengen destination, requires that your passport be valid for at least three months beyond your intended date of departure. If your passport does not meet the Schengen requirements, you may be refused boarding by the airline at your point of origin or while transferring planes. You could also be denied entry when you arrive in the Schengen area. For this reason, we recommend that your passport have at least six months’validity remaining whenever you travel abroad."

The fact is that US citizens do seek admission into the US at US airports of entry without having a valid US passport in their possession for presentation at time of seeking admission into the US. How that (i.e., arrival in the US without their own valid US passport) happens varies. When it happens, it is most frequently due to a loss/irregular handling of the US passport after: (a) having had their boarding pass scanned and flagged as having boarded; and/or (b) having used a non-US passport or someone else's passport at time to check-in and/or board.

For these circumstances of US citizens without a valid US passport on arrival at a US airport of entry, the US citizen tells the CBP they are a US citizen; and then US citizen is most frequently sent for a secondary examination of the sort I mentioned in my earlier post in this thread.
Again, the OP is not a US citizen. I don't think you should be confusing him by making irrelevant claims.

There are other US citizens too on FT who have traveled to the US without a valid US passport. Here is one example providing a decent window into how this sort of stuff commonly is handled on arrival into the US:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13806734-post12.html
The person whose story you are referring to was a US citizen.

I don't believe that a non-US citizen is without a passport is going to get in line at passport control and get through in one minute, as has been implied by GUWonder. Perhaps some US citizens who have lost their passport but have photocopies of their passports may have been able to get through the line at passport control without too much hassle, but this doesn't apply to the OP.

According to CBP for a US citizen: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...y-into-the-u.s.
"What documents, identification, and paperwork does a U.S. citizen need to travel internationally?

If you are traveling in the Western Hemisphere (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central and South America):

Air Travel: All U.S. citizens departing from or entering the United States from within the Western Hemisphere by air are required to present a valid passport or NEXUS card (if utilizing a NEXUS kiosk when departing from a designated Canadian airport). Merchant Mariner Document (for U.S. citizens on official maritime business.) Note that children are also required to present their own passport when traveling by air." And a NEXUS card is only useable at the Canadian border.

For Lawful Permanent Residents:http://www.dhs.gov/crossing-us-borders#1
"All travelers including children must present a passport or secure travel document when entering the United States by air."

Also:http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...checklist.html
"Most U.S. citizens must use a U.S. passport to travel overseas and reenter the United States.

Most foreign countries require a valid passport to enter and leave. Some countries may allow you to enter with only a birth certificate, or with a birth certificate and a driver’s license, but all persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air, must present a valid passport to reenter the United States."

I don't assume the requirement is more lax for someone who is not a US citizen. I am sure there is a process for US citizens who have lost their passports, and for non-citizens who have a valid passport but lost it. I wouldn't place any bets on a non-citizen without a valid passport.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...ort-29797.html
"Know Your (Lack of) Rights
Foreign nationals attempting to come to the United States, either temporarily or permanently, have very few rights during the application and screening process. You cannot have a lawyer represent you when you attempt to enter the U.S., nor are you allowed to call one if problems occur during your interrogation. Your bags can be searched without your permission, and CBP officials can ask you almost any question."

I had breakfast with two pilots this AM. One is a retired Air Force colonel who now has his own very high level air travel security form that works for the government. I asked him about someone with a green card getting through passport control with an expired foreign passport. He would hardly let me finish that sentence, he was so incredulous. He had several comments on it.

First, there are a lot of things that people used to do, but can't do anymore. Second, security is trained to be skeptical. If they let someone in and it turns out that they made a mistake, they will lose their job. Their default is if there is any doubt when it comes to a non-US citizen, they will deny. Finally, he said that if the random agent doing the interview thinks the OP lied in response to any question, or is suspicious in any way and denies him entry, the OP will not be allowed to return to the United States for any reason whatsoever for several years.

As some have said, US citizens lose their passport get into the USA every single day. On the other hand, hundreds of non-US citizens get denied entry into the USA every single day. Both pilots said that before he invests in an expensive plane ticket and something as important as getting denial of entry either in Italy, or when returning to the US, he should call CBP and get the real scoop, rather than rely on random internet opinions.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 2:39 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 1:01 am
Old Sep 7, 2014, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Now here are the facts; the OP is not a US citizen, and he has never held a US passport.

You said, "A little information mixed with misinformation is a dangerous thing, especially when unfamiliar with all the relevant information and ignorant of the entire context of the legal and regulatory regime and practices relevant to the rights of a US citizen to be admitted/re-admitted into the US at a port of entry in the US."

Yes, a little misinformation can be very dangerous to the OP since you are comparing apples to moonbeams; he is not a US citizen, and the same rules do not apply.
I am not comparing anything. I am correcting your posts' peddled misinformation about US citizens entering the US.

Government and other websites on these matters are routinely dumbed down to make things smoother for the government and for most passengers, but that doesn't make them wholly representative of all that is allowed under the law and must be allowed under the law.

If your posts had not peddled misinformation about US citizens, then I wouldn't have posted the facts with which you seem to not accept as fact. You are free to believe facts aren't facts, but that won't change the facts about US citizens lawfully admitted into the US without US passports at US airports of entry.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by angatol
That page is relevant to US citizens without dual nationality, travelling abroad.

There are 4 questions here, rather than one. The OP has an expired EU country passport, valid EU ID card and valid US green card. With that that ID combination, can the OP:

1: get on a flight departing the US destined for Italy?

2: Enter Italy?

3: Exit Italy on a flight destined for the US?

4. Re-enter the US?

I say yes to question 2, no to 1 and 3 and maybe for Q4.
1 No
2 Highly probable, but depends upon the EU citizen's past and present circumstances
3 No
4 Yes, unless LPR status is no longer applicable
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:10 pm

2 Highly probable, but depends upon the EU citizen's past and present circumstances
Would you care to elaborate? Under what circumstances could a citizen of a European Union member state be denied entry to another EU country? The only situation I can think of is if that person has been specifically barred from the country concerned, which is something that only happens in very exceptional cases.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Would you care to elaborate? Under what circumstances could a citizen of a European Union member state be denied entry to another EU country? The only situation I can think of is if that person has been specifically barred from the country concerned, which is something that only happens in very exceptional cases.
You've covered a circumstance which I had in mind, so thanks for elaborating for me.

"Exceptional cases" are going to be increasing in number.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:36 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 11:38 pm
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:50 pm
Suspended

It's hardly worth stating that EU ID holders might not get into an EU country.
Sure, unless and until being denied admission into another EU country (than that of citizenship) hits -- directly or indirectly at that -- you or someone you know. But it happens and is a fact to be included for purposes of being wholly accurate on this matter.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:58 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 2:11 am
Old Sep 7, 2014, 10:15 pm
Suspended

Of course you can categorically state your other two "no"s have no exceptions whatsoever...
Vis-ŕ-vis proper legal compliance for common carrier passenger flights, yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.