Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

One Day in Naples

One Day in Naples

Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

One Day in Naples

We are staying in Naples 2night/1day on our way to Capri and were planning to spend the day in Pompeii. After arriving last night we've decided to spend the day exploring naples instead. Besides the Archaeological Museum what are some cant miss sights? Which neighborhood would be best for wandering, with nice shops and cafes? Any other suggestions? Help I have not done my research!
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by cakegirl
We are staying in Naples 2night/1day on our way to Capri and were planning to spend the day in Pompeii. After arriving last night we've decided to spend the day exploring naples instead. Besides the Archaeological Museum what are some cant miss sights? Which neighborhood would be best for wandering, with nice shops and cafes? Any other suggestions? Help I have not done my research!
Naples is a beautiful city. Try to stay at a hotel on the Bay of Naples, on Via Partenope. Walking up and down Via Partenope and stopping at one of the open air bars for a prosecco at sunset will definitely put you into the dolce vita mindset of Italy.

There is debate about which place makes the best pizza in Naples. However, I don't think there is much debate that the best pizza in the world is made in Naples. In my opinion, Sorbillo is the best. It is in the Old Town, on Via dei Tribunale. When you see Via dei Tribunale, it will look like what you see when you rent an old Sophia Loren movie. It is not like Rome, Florence, Venice, etc. Old town Naples will probably fit your mental image of what Italy is supposed to look like, more than any other city that you might visit.

From Via Partenope to Via dei Tribunale is walkable, but you'll get lost, so I'd recommend a cab each way. There is actually a new Sorbillo on Via Partenope. It was opened by one of Gino Sorbillo's sons. I haven't eaten there, but I've heard good things. If it's half as good as his father's pizza, it will beat the pants off of anything you'd get in Milan, Florence, etc, but I'd stick with the original Sorbillo on Via Tribunale because the old part of town is worth seeing. http://www.sorbillo.it/it/.

Don't just eat any pizza. Naples is famous for the quality of its pizza, so there are a certain number of shops that have opened up and will sell questionable pizza for tourists. To defend their reputation, pizzaioli Napolitani started an association that guarantees an authentic pizza, Verace Pizza Napolitana. Look for the symbol. There are some places that are not part of the association that are better than places with it, but if you only have one day, you don't have time to experiment. http://www.pizzanapoletana.org/index_eng.php

Of major cities the only pizza that can even come close to pizza napolitana is found in only a few select places in Rome, and Roman pizza is completely different from pizza napolitana. It's a different thing altogether. You will have huge lines for pizza in Naples. The only problem is, Napolitani don't really do lines. You just force your way in. To avoid this, get there a little before they open.

Extending off of Via Partenope is Via Toledo. It takes you through amazing Piazza San Carlo, and down the main shopping street. It's definitely worth a walk.

In sum, if I had one day in Naples, I'd stay on Via Partenope, take a cab and grab lunch at Sorbillo on Via dei Tribunale, take a cab back Via Toledo (even though it's only about a 3/4 mile walk), walk down Via Toledo through Piazza San Carlo, admire the Piazza and the opera house, and be at the Bay as sundown is beginning. You will eat one of the best meals of your life, and you will see some of the most amazing sunset scenery you will ever see. After nightfall walk over the bridge from Via Partenope to Castel dell'Ovo. It will be obvious where it is when you are there. You can't miss it. Stop at an open air bar there, and enjoy the fresh air and scenery of the Bay.

Naples is old. Especially around the old town. It gives off a spooky vibe, but it's just a vibe. There's nothing to be afraid of in Old Town, on Via Toledo, or on Via Partenope.

Whatever you do, do not eat the pizza at Pizzaiolo del Presidente in old town.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Don't get your hopes up regarding Naples..it's a cr@phole. Think "Libya" without the frills.
(Ref: I lived there for several years.)
Old Sep 6, 2014, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Don't get your hopes up regarding Naples..it's a cr@phole. Think "Libya" without the frills.
(Ref: I lived there for several years.)
Libya without the frills? A little hyperbole maybe?

I'm not a big fan of TripAdvisor, but if you look at their rating for Spaccanapoli, (Spaccanapoli means street that "cuts Naples in half," meaning it is the center of the city.), there are 1,017 reviews:

Excellent 612
Very Good 318
Average 71
Poor 10
Terrible 6

So, 91% of visitors really like Naples. Only 0.5% of the people share your opinion that it is terrible, or 99.5% of people disagree with you.

What were the years that you lived there, if I may ask?

Last edited by Perche; Sep 6, 2014 at 11:43 am
Old Sep 6, 2014, 5:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Perche
Libya without the frills? A little hyperbole maybe?

I'm not a big fan of TripAdvisor, but if you look at their rating for Spaccanapoli, (Spaccanapoli means street that "cuts Naples in half," meaning it is the center of the city.), there are 1,017 reviews:

Excellent 612
Very Good 318
Average 71
Poor 10
Terrible 6

So, 91% of visitors really like Naples. Only 0.5% of the people share your opinion that it is terrible, or 99.5% of people disagree with you.

What were the years that you lived there, if I may ask?
No, it means 91% of visitors like one street in Naples.

2011-2013.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 12:48 am

2011-2013.
No numbers here: Do you really think that if the majority of visitors found Naples bad there would still be soooo many coming? At ant rate, I have a good friend from Pavia who claims that Africa starts south of Rome; I completely disagree with her (and you).

Last edited by KLouis; Sep 7, 2014 at 10:33 am
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:13 am

2011-2013.
TripAdvisor does not have a mechanism for people to rate cities one street at a time. Spaccanapoli is listed under the category "neighborhoods." It is the historic city center, or old town. According to TripAdvisor, less than 1% of people agree with you.

Last edited by Perche; Sep 7, 2014 at 9:21 am
Old Sep 8, 2014, 8:42 pm

1 thing not to be missed in Naples is the "Cristo Velato", absolutely astonishing!
Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Pollo
1 thing not to be missed in Naples is the "Cristo Velato", absolutely astonishing!
Of all of the art I've seen in Italy, Cristo Velato impressed me the most, with the possible exception of the Pieta. Technically, it's almost impossible to figure out how such an intricate sculpture could be made.

As you know, museums generally don't allow you to take photos of the art in Italy, but you can do it anyway because it's usually too crowded for the few monitors to stop it. Unfortunately, not in Capella Sansevero with the Cristo Velato. I've tried to get a picture, but have not been able to, because you are going to pretty much be there by yourself, at any time of the year.

That's one of the great things about Naples. The Capodimonte is said to have more masterpieces than any museum in Italy aside from the Uffizi, but it can take hours on line to get into the Uffizi if you don't know the end arounds, and it is packed like a sardine can most of the year. In Naples you can see almost as many Michelangelo, Botticelli, Titian, Caravaggio, Raphael masterpieces with no lines by simply walking in, and you can sit there as long as you want, and contemplate.

I agree with you, Cristo Velato is really something not to be missed.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Perche
...I agree with you, Cristo Velato is really something not to be missed.
And for those with a kinky mind and/or pertinent studies, take a good look at the "anatomical machines" next room! Impressive!!! (though less so that the Cristo.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Despite the fact that there was an extremely heavy rain for much of the day, we ended up really enjoying Naples. Lunch at Europa, the Archaeological Museum, pizza at 50 Kalo and pastries at Caffe Gambrinus, and some walking around/ exploring/shopping in between the rain showers.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by cakegirl
Despite the fact that there was an extremely heavy rain for much of the day, we ended up really enjoying Naples. Lunch at Europa, the Archaeological Museum, pizza at 50 Kalo and pastries at Caffe Gambrinus, and some walking around/ exploring/shopping in between the rain showers.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm partial to Sorbillo for pizza in Naples. Katie Parla reviewed 50 Kalo in the NY Times a few weeks ago, and gave it a great review.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/08/17...referrer=&_r=0

I'll have to try it.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 1:30 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
+1
According to this review http://www.scattidigusto.it/2014/02/...zzeria-napoli/ the break-in period to run the wood-fired oven and get the best out of it was 3 months from the opening.
Therefore time to pay a visit .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.