Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amalfi Coast Italy help needed

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Amalfi Coast Italy help needed

Definitely agree with posters recommending the high speed train from Rome to Naples. I have also flow to NAP, but the train was great. Definitely arrange a private car from Naples train station to your hotel. Having done it via public transit and via private car, no contest.

Check out Positano. Traveled there a few times with then boyfriend, now husband. Amazing romantic place.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:53 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

A better fit for this topic is the Italy forum, which is now the new home for this discussion.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles Forum
Old Aug 22, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
Now that this thread is in the Italy forum, hopefully others will chime in and agree with my feelings that Naples is not a terrible place as many above have claimed. The food is wonderful; the people are a bit brusk, but helpful; and the pickpocketing and petty crime not out of the norm for any large European city. The pizza is fabulous and the pasteries and coffee superb. Consider spending one night in the city before or after your trip to the Costiera Amalfitana.

For a well-priced, reliable private transfer service from Naples to the Amalfi Coast, we used a great company just 3 months ago for our trip.

Anthony Buonocore
[email protected]
0039 3494410336
Old Aug 22, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by dkelly1110
Now that this thread is in the Italy forum, hopefully others will chime in and agree with my feelings that Naples is not a terrible place as many above have claimed. The food is wonderful; the people are a bit brusk, but helpful; and the pickpocketing and petty crime not out of the norm for any large European city. The pizza is fabulous and the pasteries and coffee superb. Consider spending one night in the city before or after your trip to the Costiera Amalfitana.

For a well-priced, reliable private transfer service from Naples to the Amalfi Coast, we used a great company just 3 months ago for our trip.

Anthony Buonocore
[email protected]
0039 3494410336
I agree 100%. Especially when you consider how high the violent crime rate is in the U.S. Statistically, you are more likely to be pick pocketed or have your purse snatched in London, Barcelona, Paris, Madrid, Prague, Athens, or Lisbon than in Naples.

Naples has a fantastic museum, incredible art, and some of the best food in the world. The views of the Bay and Mt. Vesuvius in the background are among the best that Italy has to offer. Plus, Naples has fewer tourists than other major cities, so instead of a downtown full of stores that sell tourist trinkets and restaurants that serve microwaved food that are typical of places like Florence, Naples keeps it real.

Sure, there is organized crime in Naples, but the Camorra has no interest in tourists. According to the U.S. State Department, the crime rate in Naples, "falls within the medium-low spectrum in comparison to many major U.S. cities." I don't know where the myth that Naples is particularly dangerous comes from.

People who skip it miss a lot. Most people who have stayed along the Via Partenope will say that it is one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Last edited by Perche; Aug 22, 2014 at 2:06 pm
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Perche
I agree 100%. Especially when you consider how high the violent crime rate is in the U.S. Statistically, you are more likely to be pick pocketed or have your purse snatched in London, Barcelona, Paris, Madrid, Prague, Athens, or Lisbon.

Naples has a fantastic museum, incredible art, and some of the best food in the world. The views of the Bay and Mt. Vesuvius in the background are among the best that Italy has to offer. Plus, Naples has fewer tourists than other major cities, so instead of a downtown full of stores that sell tourist trinkets and restaurants that serve microwaved food that are typical of places like Florence, Naples keeps it real.

Sure, there is organized crime in Naples, but the Camorra has no interest in tourists. According to the U.S. State Department, the crime rate in Naples, "falls within the medium-low spectrum in comparison to many major U.S. cities." I don't know where the myth that Naples is particularly dangerous comes from.

People who skip it miss a lot. Most people who have stayed along the Via Partenope will say that it is one of the most beautiful places in the world.
100% correct!
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
I think the best advice in this thread is offered by Mr. Tickets and Tipatta. Book a high-speed train to Naples and arrange pick-up by a hotel driver or independent operator.

If you want to relax and enjoy the scenery, leave the driving to a local pro. If the OP would like a name or two of reliable drivers, please PM me.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC; IHG; Accor
The ex and I used to go to Sorrento for our summer holidays.

The last time we were in Roma we noticed the train option from Termini and that would have been or option if there had been a next time.

We were flying from Belfast so usually flew to Naples, then took a bus to Sorrento.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:02 am

Programs: Miles n More Senator ,Marriots Platinum, Hhonors Diamond, Miles n Smile elites,ITA Volare Premium
We booked fast train ( frecarriosa) from Rome termini to naples central station & arranged private car operator to pick up from Naples central & drop us at Hilton Sorrento. I think that
works quite comfortable & reasonably priced. Train takes 70 minute from rome to naples.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Naples definitely worth a visit. The bad rap comes out from 2 issues: local organized crimes wave of murderings in the 80s/90s and early 2000 towards member of different "family" of local mafia, and the targeting of tourists Rolex watch, esp. those arriving from the cruise ships.
Pickpocketing reports are below average of cities like Barcelona and Rome, but do exists. Nothing that common sense cannot fix.

For the Amalfi coast, the ideal train stop is Salerno, not Naples.
Salerno is connected with high speed trains as well, adding 25 min. southbound but just <30 Km to Amalfi, saving a ton of time on the twisty road.

Naples as disembarking point only makes sense for the northern side of the coast (Sorrento).
Amalfi, Atrani, Positano, Ravello are way easier to reach from the southern side.
No scheduled commercial flights to Salerno airport (QSR), just private jets.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Hilton, Hertz
Lots of good info here. I see that Salerno is much closer to amalfi, but have heard some people say that the train to salerno is awful compared to the high speed to amalfi. How long is the train ride?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:33 am

Awful? It is exactly the same train.
Naples is the stop before Salerno.
Both Italo and Trenitalia serve the route. Need to count about half an hour more.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 11:36 am
Original Poster

thanks. Is one better than the other in regards to the two trains?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 1:53 pm

Not an expert, but lately have been on Italo and enjoyed it. Free wifi and personal seat plug is what I need to let the time pass by.
I'd pick according timing and price.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

In the interest of checking with the experts. Would either of these work?
Italo
Monday 29 September<< Sun 28 September | Tue 30 September >>
Departure Time > Arrivaluration:Stops:Train Number:
10:26 12:26 NO STOP 1 9967 Tickets from 32 € Show Prices

or
Trenitalia
Roma Termini 10AM to Salerno (arrive 1159A) 1:59 duration
Frecciarossa 9503
29 euros
Old Sep 6, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Hawk Circle
I think the best advice in this thread is offered by Mr. Tickets and Tipatta. Book a high-speed train to Naples and arrange pick-up by a hotel driver or independent operator.

If you want to relax and enjoy the scenery, leave the driving to a local pro. If the OP would like a name or two of reliable drivers, please PM me.
For the most part, I'd have to disagree.

Originally Posted by raji
We booked fast train ( frecarriosa) from Rome termini to naples central station & arranged private car operator to pick up from Naples central & drop us at Hilton Sorrento. I think that works quite comfortable & reasonably priced. Train takes 70 minute from rome to naples.
For the most part, I'd disagree here as well, unless your final destination is Sorrento, and not most of the rest of the Amalfi Coast.

Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
For the Amalfi coast, the ideal train stop is Salerno, not Naples. Salerno is connected with high speed trains as well, adding 25 min. southbound but just <30 Km to Amalfi, saving a ton of time on the twisty road.

Naples as disembarking point only makes sense for the northern side of the coast (Sorrento). Amalfi, Atrani, Positano, Ravello are way easier to reach from the southern side.
I'd agree.

The OP didn't say where he will be going on the Amalfi Coast. For some reason people going to the Amalfi Coast from Rome tend to go through Naples. Then they take the Circumvesuviano train to Sorrento, then take the bus the their destination on the AC. Or, they hire an expensive private car service to take them from Naples all the way to their hotel in Amalfi, Ravello, etc.

There are direct trains from Rome to Naples, and direct trains from Rome to Salerno. Salerno is close to the Amalfi Coast; Naples is not. In fact, the Amalfi Coast is in the Province of Salerno.

It's like flying from Rome and landing at JFK, with your final destination being Washington DC, but there are no flight options. Although the distances are not the same, a rough analogy of going to the Amalfi Coast through Naples is like taking a train from NYC and getting off at Philadelphia, then hiring a private car service to take you to DC. Going via Salerno is more like taking the train from NYC and getting off at Alexandria, VA, or Bethesda, MD, and then making the short trip to Washington DC by cheap and easy public transportation or taxi.

The only exception where Naples would be better is if you were staying in the very northern most part of the Amalfi Coast, or in Sorrento.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.