Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which train station in Milan?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Which train station in Milan?

I would love suggestions from the seasoned among you.

My wife and I are doing a tour of Italy in October. Towards the end of the trip, we'll be leaving Florence and heading to the Piedmont region, staying a few days near Alba. We then fly home from Milan afterwards.

It sounds like renting a car in that area might be beneficial, just to give us a little more freedom. That said, in my previous trips to Europe I've never driven there, so I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible for a novice. It sounds like driving will be fine outside the cities, but I'm going to try to avoid the craziness of the city centers.

Would you suggest renting a car in Florence and driving to Alba, returning the car at MXP; or taking the train to Milan and renting a car there?

And if it's the latter, we can take a train into Milano Centrale, Porta Garibaldi, or Rogoredo stations. Would one of those provide an easier and quicker exodus driving out of Milan towards Alba?

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions. Thank you very much!!
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Without knowing your itinerary, Piemonte is wonderful in the Fall. Unlike most regions in Italy having a car there is reasonable and easy. Piemonte has all of what people want in Italy, but it is pretty much off of the tourist map, so, things work very well. Driving there is like driving anywhere in the USA. With that in mind, why not train it to Torino? Rent a car there, and drop it off there, or better yet, rent the car in Torino and drop it off at MXP and stay at the MXP Sheraton the evening before flying back?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I would agree with Perche suggestion. Train Florence-Turin (Porta Susa Station*) and car to Alba, with MXP drop off.

If you want to avoid even more driving through a "big" city, you can also go with the train from Turin to Cuneo or Asti, and there rent a car to reach Alba.
I don't know about driving in US, but in Piedmont, especially around Alba and small towns, traffic is usually light. But hold into account the fog and mist possibility in October (early morning and late afternoon/evening).

*Hertz and Avis offices available nearby.

Last edited by Lefly; Jul 15, 2014 at 9:47 am Reason: spelling
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
I agree with advice offered by Perche and Lefly.

If you want to avoid big city driving (a good idea BTW), you don't want to rent a car in Milan, except perhaps at the airport (MXP).

I'd look at train stops near or at your destination in Piedmont, find one served by car rental companies, rent there and then return the car to MXP.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the ideas, everyone! I will definitely look into taking the train to Torino instead.
Originally Posted by Perche
...drop it off at MXP and stay at the MXP Sheraton the evening before flying back?
Have you been spying on my itinerary, Perche? That's exactly our plan!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.