Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Will my planned flight connection times at Milan (MXP) be adequate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys,

I have MXP - YYZ departing at 12:15 on July 15. I was planning on getting back to the MXP area in the afternoon on the 14th from ZRH, but now I'm considering ZRH - VIE on the 14th and then VIE - MXP on the 15th, leaving at 7AM and getting in at 8:30AM with a little time to spare before the 12:15 flight back to YYZ.

It would be a long layover so no additional charge, but obviously I'm booking these tickets separately so if for some reason the VIE MXP flight misconnects I'm SOL.

Would you take the gamble to see another city? 9 hour layover
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
I'd avoid such a tight connection in MXP. I've heard it's a bit of a madhouse... my friend who recently went said she was glad she had extra time.

From reading around, it says that 2 hours is the MINIMUM preferred time for connections in MXP.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roastpuff
I'd avoid such a tight connection in MXP. I've heard it's a bit of a madhouse... my friend who recently went said she was glad she had extra time.

From reading around, it says that 2 hours is the MINIMUM preferred time for connections in MXP.
Thanks, I didn't look around for reviews about MXP and I'm grateful you did. I'll just play it safe and get in the night before then.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
MXP is fairly easy to deal with. I had a long walk between the UA counter and the gate, but efficiency was reasonable.

With a 4 hr layover, you should be OK, but you never know. I'd probably buy insurance for the trip if doing this on two different tickets.

I can point you to a reasonable MXP airport hotel if you decide to come back early.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 11:59 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
With a more informative thread title, I've moved this to the Italy forum where more discussion can take place. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 6:04 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Are you arriving at the same terminal that you leave from? MXP is a bit spread out (and security lines get a bit long in the morning if you have to change terminals).
Old Jul 9, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by iruvmattree
Hey guys,

I have MXP - YYZ departing at 12:15 on July 15. I was planning on getting back to the MXP area in the afternoon on the 14th from ZRH, but now I'm considering ZRH - VIE on the 14th and then VIE - MXP on the 15th, leaving at 7AM and getting in at 8:30AM with a little time to spare before the 12:15 flight back to YYZ.

It would be a long layover so no additional charge, but obviously I'm booking these tickets separately so if for some reason the VIE MXP flight misconnects I'm SOL.

Would you take the gamble to see another city? 9 hour layover
If your inbound flight lands at 8:30 AM, and your outbound flight is at 12:15, that's almost four hours, which is a lot of time, even if you have to change terminals. Flights can always be delayed, canceled, etc., but that's just part of the deal with traveling. If your goal is to spend an evening in Vienna and you've never been there before, that's a chance that I think is well worth taking. Vienna is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Three hours and 45 minutes is plenty of time to get from one part of MXP to another.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:14 am
GTR

BA BCN --> MXP arriving @ 8:55 (Terminal 1) connecting to UA MXP --> EWR @ 10:40 (Terminal 1)... Will beg the BA agent to interline... Any hope for this connection?

Thanks for the input! (and all the info I've gleaned lurking)
Old Apr 6, 2016, 5:13 am
GTR

I will never know. Ate the change fee on UA and moved it to a Madrid departure with a 3.5hr change.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Probably a good idea; in any event, MXP T1 is pretty nice these days (post EXPO) and spending an hour or two shopping/dining is not a bad thing.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GTR
BA BCN --> MXP arriving @ 8:55 (Terminal 1) connecting to UA MXP --> EWR @ 10:40 (Terminal 1)... Will beg the BA agent to interline... Any hope for this connection?

Would this be a single ticket? Have you checked MCT for BA schengen to UA international at MXP?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Would this be a single ticket? Have you checked MCT for BA schengen to UA international at MXP?
GTR is no longer booked through MXP!
Old Apr 8, 2016, 7:51 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by GTR

I see that you have changed your connection from MXP to MAD.

However, for future reference, if you are flying on two separate flight tickets and have a minimum 90 min connection in MXP (same terminal) or 100 min connection (different terminals), you can benefit from the free MXP 'ViaMilano' insurance policy if you register your details in advance on the airport's website (http://www.flyviamilano.eu/en/your-t...connection.jsp). For the T&Cs, visit http://www.flyviamilano.eu/en/docs/V...conditions.pdf
Old Apr 8, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by GTR

I'm guessing that was on VY not BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.