Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

FCO Rome Fiumicino Airport [Merged thread]

Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rove312
Leonardo da Vinci International Airport (FCO)
Aeroporto Internazionale Leonardo da Vinci
Main airport of Rome, located in Fiumicino
NOTE: Wikiposts are community property and maintained; they can be edited by signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts.
Wikipost contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner next to Edit button).

Location: 35 km (22 mi.) southwest of Rome, connected by road (taxi, etc. approx. one hour) and train (30 minutes).

Address: Aeroporto Internazionale Fiumicino, Via dell' Aeroporto di Fiumicino, 320, 00054 Fiumicino RM, Italy

Websites
Link to Rome Airports official site (English); Collegamento a sito ufficiale di Aeroporti di Roma (Italiano)
Extensive information on transportation, arrivals and departures, etc.
Link to Wikipedia page on FCO.

Terminals
As of December 2021, FCO's active terminals are T1 and T3.

To determine the terminal for your airline, do a search at https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-...ore-travelling . As of May 2022, the list of airlines using each terminal appears outdated; for example Lufthansa isn't on the list of airlines using T1, but a search shows it using T1. For the most part, Schengen based airlines use Terminal 1; non-Schengen Terminal 3.

Gates are numbered with A for Schengen, E for non-Schengen; U.S.-bound flights are generally from the satellite gate area E31-44, accessed by a rail people mover. All gates can be accessed from either terminal; for example ITA flights to the U.S. check in at T1, on the east side of the complex, but depart from the satellite gates well to the west.

Baggage claim is at T1 for Schengen (i.e. if connecting, the flight to FCO departs from a Schengen airport), T3 for non-Schengen, regardless of which terminal the airline uses for check-in.

Lodging
Two hotels located at FCO, One located on its periphery:
Hilton Rome Airport Hotel
Via Arturo Ferrarin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino, Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-65258 FAX: +39-06-6525 6525
517 Soundproofed rooms
Airport Train Station at walking distance
Connected to all terminals by covered pedestrian walkway
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop)
Complimentary shuttle bus to downtown Rome 8 times a day
Link to property website
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Rome Airport {ITA}

HelloSky Rome
Via Generale Felice Santini (Aeroporto Leonardo da Vinci), 00054 Fiumicino RM
TEL +39 06 971 50 200
E-mail: [email protected]
Located landside, in front of Terminals 1 and 3
29 Rooms, not a traditional hotel: includes an arrivals lounge, shower rentals and VIP fast track offers
More info in this post: FCO: HelloSky's New Arrival Lounge + Air Rooms (Hilton no longer only onsite hotel)

Hilton Garden Inn
Via Vittorio Bragadin, 2, 00054 Fiumicino Rome, Italy
TEL: +39-06-6525 9000 FAX: +39-06-6525 9001
Courtesy shuttle to / from all terminals (2.5 mi / 4 km loop - no pedestrian access
Dedicated FT thread: Hilton Garden Inn Rome Airport {ITA}

Other hotels and B&Bs are located at Fiumicino near the airport, including Best Western Hotel Rome Airport, Golden Tulip, Sllep and Fly, etc.

Transport
Link to FT thread: FCO ground transportation options
Link to ADR FCO page on transport, parking, etc.
Link to Rome Toolkit page on FCO surface transport.

Train Station is well signed, covered pedestrian way with moving walkways, lifts / escalators, 5-10 minutes walking from terminals.
Leonardo Express (Trenitalia) to/from Rome Termini railway station departing every 15-30 minutes and trip time of 32 minutes. 14. Onward connections. Advance online ticket purchase includes discounts include fast track and FCO lounges. Trenitalia link
Regional FL1 trains to/from other Rome stations including Rome Tiburtina. Departures every 15 to 30 minutes.
Frecciargento (Trenitalia high speed train) to / from cities of Rome, Florence, Bologna, Padua and Venice daily.
Departure from Fiumicino Airport: 13.53. Arrival at Fiumicino Airport: 14.07.

Bus link (Terravision info on this linked page is outdated. See the other link below)
Several local busses serve FCO, and can get you to Ostia Lido, Fiumicino, several Rome locations including Termini rail station, connections to the underground, etc. Terravision bus is the one of the economical transport to Rome at 5.90. Link.
Or try S.I.T from T-3 with three stops in the center. http://www.sitbusshuttle.com/en/fares/
Direct bus to Naples: https://www.fiumicinoexpress.com/?lang=en

Left luggage / porterage
Luggage storage in Terminal 3, International Arrivals, daily every 7 am to 11 pm
Telephone: +39 0665953541
Rate: 10 per suitcase for up to 24 hours; payment upon collection of baggage.
Luggage porter service available for a fee, which can be requested at the ADR information desks and from the interactive multimedia stations.
​To book the porter service:
Telephone +39 0665958349-7510
Fax +39 0665955133
email [email protected]

Print Wikipost

Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB

I'm flying this summer from AMS to ATH via FCO.
The first leg is operated by KL and the second by AZ with a transfer time of 45minutes. What I see on the website of FCO is that both AZ and KL use T1 for their Schengen flights.

Will my transfer be manageable or too tight?

Your help is appreciated.

Last edited by menzo2003; Apr 28, 2014 at 12:28 pm
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by menzo2003
I'm flying this summer from AMS to ATH via FCO.
The first leg is operated by KL and the second by AZ with a transfer time of 45minutes. What I see on the website of FCO is that both AZ and KL use T1 for their Schengen flights.

Will my transfer be manageable or too tight?

Your help is apeciated.
Absolutely manageable, provided the KL flight is on time. But more than 15-20 min delay and you're in trouble. Why don't you fly non-stop AMS-ATH?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by KLouis
Absolutely manageable, provided the KL flight is on time. But more than 15-20 min delay and you're in trouble. Why don't you fly non-stop AMS-ATH?
Agreed - but I would still move fast. Fortunately our flight ends in Rome.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB
Originally Posted by KLouis
Thanks for the assurance.
What is the chance my checked bag will make it?

Because it saved me a few hundred Euros with my return that includes a stay of 8 days in Venice.

Last edited by menzo2003; Apr 28, 2014 at 12:35 pm
Old Apr 29, 2014, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by menzo2003
...What is the chance my checked bag will make it?...
No personal experience with that, but this would be very, very, very close. Luggage from planes arriving at FCO usually make it to the belt about 20-30 min. after landing (10-20 min. after de-planing). Now, although your two planes would be using the same terminal, I'm sort of certain that your bag would first go to a "central" place from where it would have to go back to T1, rendering it very unprobable that it will be onboard the flight to ATH. But this just a guess.

Given the real risk of summer delays in European skies, you have a rather high chance of having plenty of time to visit the shops at Terminal T1 and even T3 (including several cups of espresso/cappuccino). I'm actually anything but re-assuring!

Last edited by KLouis; Apr 29, 2014 at 8:36 pm
Old May 8, 2014, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I'm flying out of FCO on USAirways. No bags, and I assume I can check in on line.

Where should I go when I get to the airport? Will I be able to go through security from the other terminals, or must I go to T5?
Old Jun 26, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Angry Transiting in FCO today :(

I'll arrive on KL1597 from Amsterdam at 0935 (Terminal 1), and my onward flight is AZ808 to Tel Aviv at 1100 (Terminal 3). I will have no check-in luggage.

Do I need to clear immigration (I am leaving Schengen?) and/or customs?

Another problem is that I might not have my FCO-TLV boarding pass yet. The flights are on the same e-ticket, but not the same PNR.

I'm only Flying Blue Silver, so I don't think status would make much of a difference.
Old Jun 26, 2014, 9:36 pm

Yes, you'll clear passport control for leaving Schengen. I don't hear of any customs check on departure. I'd expect a transit desk would issue a boarding pass if you don't have it yet.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70
I'm flying out of FCO on USAirways. No bags, and I assume I can check in on line.

Where should I go when I get to the airport? Will I be able to go through security from the other terminals, or must I go to T5?
I'd like an answer to this too. I'm in exactly the same situation with my family. flying on UA, no checkin bags.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 9:54 pm

I've heard of people who've parked at T5, checked in, then drove to the rental return and cleared security at T3. Based on that, it would seem you could do that, unless the BP needs some kind of security stamp at T5.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by foobart
I'd like an answer to this too. I'm in exactly the same situation with my family. flying on UA, no checkin bags.
IMO, you take a pretty big risk by going straight to T3.

If you have an electronic boarding pass on your phone issued by a US airline, you are assuming that the security staff at T3 will understand/accept these and let you through. If they don't, then you have to go to T5 and lose a lot of time.

In addition, there is random add'l security screening done by the T-5 airlines. This is not done on a passenger by passenger basis, but rather on a day by day basis. If you happen to be traveling on one of these days - and are successful getting through T3 security, you may encounter problems at your actual gate w/your carrier.

Last edited by bdemaria; Jun 29, 2014 at 1:49 am
Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
It's a pain but the last time I dropped a rental at FCO, I drove to T5 to drop bags, my wife waited while I returned the rental car and then hopped a bus back to T5. It was a pain and the buses are infrequent but it works.

T5 security is significant - while I don't know for a fact, it wouldn't surprise me that they wouldn't exactly make it easy to go airside elsewhere and then do an airside transfer to T5.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by JMN57
while I don't know for a fact, it wouldn't surprise me that they wouldn't exactly make it easy to go airside elsewhere and then do an airside transfer to T5.
If you can clear security at T3, there's no need to get to T5: you would go to the G satellite gates, which I believe the AZ TATL flights use: people on these flights check in at T3 and go to the G gates, which those who check in at T5 also use. So there's just the "big if" of whether T3 security will accept boarding passes from U.S. carriers. When I flew intra-Europe out of T3 last month, the one BP check at security was a scan of the barcode on the printed pass.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:32 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by zrs70

I'd say definitely only T5.
Never tried the T3 when direct to US, but if the T5 is specific for flights bound to States and Israel, there's a reason for that.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
I'd say definitely only T5.
Never tried the T3 when direct to US, but if the T5 is specific for flights bound to States and Israel, there's a reason for that.
Exactly. If you leaving on a T-5 assigned carrier, then you need to deal w/T-5 security/check in b/c the carriers who operate out of T-5 have add'l security/screening procedures.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.