Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are Italians Rude?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2013, 5:23 pm

Programs: KM P, DL S | SPG G, HH S | Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Badenoch
Don't apply your own standards of behavior or courtesy when elsewhere. It also helps to learn the local standards.
Sadly, in Italy the actual behaviour is often worse than the expected behaviour based on the Italian "etiquette". It may be not perceived because of cultural and language barriers, as well as a genuine local friendly attitude.

I have to admit that most of the people are now rude, to some extent, and I'd say unprofessional. Unfortunately, the latter applies to most of the industries, businesses and organisations that have something to do with tourism: restaurants, airlines and airports, local public transport, rail operators, immigration and customs, etc.
I have said 'now' because I've the feeling that it's getting worse, for a number of reasons.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
This is probably the dumbest question ever posted on FlyerTalk. I hope a moderator shuts it down soon so that it stops heading the Italian travel thread. It could only be asked by someone who hasn't traveled much, and probably shouldn't. Does anyone want to chat about the personalities of Russians, Mexicans, Afro-Americans, Chinese, Japanese? These stupid, wholesale judgments of race or nationality based upon what someone heard a neighbor say about an Italian or two, whom they probably couldn't even communicate with, is dumb. Moderator, can we get back to travel instead of arguing about race and nationality?

And about where to find the best pizza?

Last edited by Perche; Jul 7, 2013 at 1:59 pm Reason: change of tone
Old Jul 7, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Perche
This is probably the dumbest question ever posted on FlyerTalk. I hope a moderator shuts it down soon so that it stops heading the Italian travel thread. It could only be asked by someone who hasn't traveled much, and probably shouldn't. Does anyone want to chat about the personalities of Russians, Mexicans, Afro-Americans, Chinese, Japanese? These stupid, wholesale judgments of race or nationality based upon what someone heard a neighbor say about an Italian or two, whom they probably couldn't even communicate with, is dumb. Moderator, can we get back to travel instead of arguing about race and nationality?

And about where to find the best pizza?
I disagree, I really enjoy this thread.

If you want a bit of balance, check this thread out.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Rude in Italy

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
I disagree, I really enjoy this thread.

If you want a bit of balance, check this thread out.
Your "balanced" like was a survey of 5,600 people from 4 countries.

The OP's opinion was based on, "My neighbor just returned from a trip to Italy and said that she really enjoyed Venice. However, she said that the Italians were really rude."

The OP doesn't even follow his own post, because he sort of said thank you, and hasn't commented since June 12th, when he posted that his neighbor said, "Also, visited Dbrovnik (sp) Croatia and found rudeness there."

It is ridiculous to put any weight on such comments. Let's start a thread, "Are all Scotts____? Are all French___? Are all Mexicans______? Are all African-Americans______? Are all Canadians____? Are all Italians_______? Oops, someone actually did the latter. In my own personal opinion, and you are entitled to your own opinion, this is ignorance. Now, I'll unsubscribe from such an unhealthy thread.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold

The OP's opinion was based on, "My neighbor just returned from a trip to Italy and said that she really enjoyed Venice. However, she said that the Italians were really rude."

The OP doesn't even follow his own post, because he sort of said thank you, and hasn't commented since June 12th, when he posted that his neighbor said, "Also, visited Dbrovnik (sp) Croatia and found rudeness there."

It is ridiculous to put any weight on such comments. Let's start a thread, "Are all Scotts____? Are all French___? Are all Mexicans______? Are all African-Americans______? Are all Canadians____? Are all Italians_______? Oops, someone actually did the latter. In my own personal opinion, and you are entitled to your own opinion, this is ignorance. Now, I'll unsubscribe from such an unhealthy thread.
It really is too bad that you didn't actually read the thread. Yes, the original post was ridiculous. I would say it was 'inciteful'. That happens a lot on FT. However, that doesn't mean that all the posts that followed were ridiculous. Some were insightful (note the difference in spelling and meaning). I have enjoyed many of the posts on this thread and on Flyertalk which I would have missed if I always read a thread solely on the basis of the first post.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
My "balanced" like was the thread and the comments there, in conjunction with this thread. I have nothing to do with the survey mentioned - sorry you were unable to understand my post, I'll keep things even simpler next time, much as I dislike kowtowing to the lowest common denominator.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'm really puzzled by the use use of the words "civilized", "rude" and such, with all their definition and everything...

How can anybody possibly judge an entire country habits and their civilization level?

Are we all anthropologists?

I'm in italian that lives in the US since quite a few years now and I met americans that have a totally different set of rules when it comes to child behaviour and personal relationship between adults as well.
Would I called them rude or uncivilized? I wouldn't dare, even if I found them to be impolite I know they come from a different cultural background and I can't judge an whole country by the people I met.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Queue jumping doesn't really bother me that much.
I've seen people in Japan and SIN also rush to grab seats on the train/bus and queue jumping in the shops, but I wouldn't say that they are rude to me.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 3:07 pm

I just returned from a three week vacation in the US and have to say I experienced the rudest drivers so far in my life. Noone ever let us merge when we had to change lanes or enter an interstate, people even quickly closed gaps and honked their horn at us so that we could not get on.

Compared to this, drivers were very polite in (northern) Italy. We had no problems at all to changes lanes or enter the highway. People usually made space for us, as is should be in a civilized country.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Alex71
I just returned from a three week vacation in the US and have to say I experienced the rudest drivers so far in my life. Noone ever let us merge when we had to change lanes or enter an interstate, people even quickly closed gaps and honked their horn at us so that we could not get on.

Compared to this, drivers were very polite in (northern) Italy. We had no problems at all to changes lanes or enter the highway. People usually made space for us, as is should be in a civilized country.
At least petrol is cheaper there
Old Aug 3, 2013, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
At least petrol is cheaper there
Very true!
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA
I just returned from a three week vacation in the US and have to say I experienced the rudest drivers so far in my life. Noone ever let us merge when we had to change lanes or enter an interstate, people even quickly closed gaps .......... Compared to this, drivers were very polite in (northern) Italy. We had no problems at all to changes lanes or enter the highway. People usually made space for us, as is should be in a civilized country.
This is one of the cultural driving tradition differences between the US and much of Europe. In the US drivers go entirely by the rules of precedence. If it's their right of way they would not consider "letting someone else out", the rules are followed. You describe merging from the on-ramp. No, no thought is given to how those joining may have their task eased. And likewise those joining know they have to find the right slot all by themselves.

Americans visiting the UK and driving with me find our own approach equally perplexing. "Isn't it your right of way ?" "Well yes, but I politely let him in; there's a continuous stream behind me". They puzzle and wonder how you can manage like this. Single-track country lanes. "Is it one way ?" No. "Whose priority is it ?" "Oh, we just know when we meet someone how to get round each other".

Best one I saw was in Orlando, Florida, on International Drive, which probably has the highest percentage of Europeans driving rental cars of anywhere in the US. There was a big reconstruction project going on, lanes were limited, traffic backed up, and many trying to join from hotels. And you can generally spot typical rental cars. Well, it was just like back in Europe, people on the main drag were waving on those trying to join, there were hand acknowledgements both ways, eye contact, it was a totally un-American approach !
Old Aug 5, 2013, 6:57 pm

"Rude" is a matter of perception in this situation, as it so often is.

The drivers you encountered might consider your attempts to cut them off not just rude but also a violation of state or local traffic laws. Did you study the traffic regulations before taking to the road, or just assume that American drivers would behave the same way as those "back home" do?

And as for your comment about "as is should be in a civilized country" - personally I don't consider slowing down an entire line of traffic to let a car enter the roadway good manners, civilized or even safe. Here we are taught that safe driving involves maintaining a safe speed and trying to avoid sudden, unpredictable changes of speed or lanes. Suddenly or unpredictably slowing down or stopping for a car coming in from the side disrupts the flow of traffic and can cause accidents, like the one in front of me yesterday. Flow of traffic was about 35 mph when the car 2 ahead of slammed on its brakes to let a car pull out from the curb (probably wanted the parking space). The car behind it hit the first car and I missed joining the pile by about 2 inches, making me very glad I had new brakes.

If you want to merge into traffic, it is your responsibility to wait for a safe opening. To do otherwise in the U.S. is considered quite rude.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
"Rude" is a matter of perception in this situation, as it so often is.

The drivers you encountered might consider your attempts to cut them off not just rude but also a violation of state or local traffic laws. Did you study the traffic regulations before taking to the road, or just assume that American drivers would behave the same way as those "back home" do?

And as for your comment about "as is should be in a civilized country" - personally I don't consider slowing down an entire line of traffic to let a car enter the roadway good manners, civilized or even safe. Here we are taught that safe driving involves maintaining a safe speed and trying to avoid sudden, unpredictable changes of speed or lanes. Suddenly or unpredictably slowing down or stopping for a car coming in from the side disrupts the flow of traffic and can cause accidents, like the one in front of me yesterday. Flow of traffic was about 35 mph when the car 2 ahead of slammed on its brakes to let a car pull out from the curb (probably wanted the parking space). The car behind it hit the first car and I missed joining the pile by about 2 inches, making me very glad I had new brakes.

If you want to merge into traffic, it is your responsibility to wait for a safe opening. To do otherwise in the U.S. is considered quite rude.
Then again, I pay less attention in some places, because when I'm in some places, I don't drive.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, NYC MTA Gold, AA EXP
In my first 24hrs in Rome I have observed 4 unnecessary confrontations and rude behaviors. Kinda comical how rude these people are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.