Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring from Terminal 3 to Terminal 1 in Fiumicino Airport

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Smile Transferring from Terminal 3 to Terminal 1 in Fiumicino Airport

I am flying into Fiumicino Airport ~ Terminal 3 and need to catch a domestic flight in Terminal 1 within just under three hours. Will I make it? How to travel between the Terminals?
Advice pls!!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 4:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mpc1993
I am flying into Fiumicino Airport ~ Terminal 3 and need to catch a domestic flight in Terminal 1 within just under three hours. Will I make it? How to travel between the Terminals?
Advice pls!!
Yes you will make it assuming your inbound aircraft is not badly delayed.
Did you look at this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...t-transit.html or the FCO website?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:08 pm

Programs: Virtuoso TA ●Ritz-Carlton STARS TA ●FSPP TA ●Dorchester Collection Diamond Club
If you're traveling with just carry-on this is very easy. You'll come into the GATES area. If you're coming from Non-Schengen, you'll come into Gates G or H, go through passport control/immigration. Here look for the "connecting flights" signage. Follow those signs and you'll exit the passport control area STILL in the secured GATE area. From there, you just walk to your next GATE. The farthest away gates are the B gates, perhaps a 15-20 minute leisurely walk.

If you're coming in from a Schengen country and with carry-on only, it's even easier. You just enter the Terminal say at the C Gates and walk to your next gate! 5-10 minutes usually. (This is assuming you have your next flight's boarding pass - check-in online!)

If you have checked luggage, it gets more complicated. If you're on the same ticket, your flights are code-shared, etc. and your luggage is being transferred from one flight to the next flight... then any of the above scenarios will work.

NOTE in all these examples we've NOT talked about TERMINALS - just GATES.

Now, the worst case scenario is you have checked luggage and perhaps you're on separate tickets or your two airlines don't have a relationship. Now it's gets tough. Now you will have to go to the TERMINALS.

You'll come into the GATES area - either go through passport control or no - then head to the LUGGAGE collection area in the lower level (bowels) of Terminal 3. Then you would exit security (OUCH) head to Terminal 1 (10-12 minute walk) , get in line, recheck your bag, then dash to security, go through this line, and finally head for your gate.

The wildcard in this example is HOW LONG it takes to wait on your luggage to arrive at the baggage carousel, HOW LONG to wait in line to re-check your bag, and HOW LONG to get BACK through security to the air-side area...

So this is a great opportunity to sing the virtues of carry-on only. Here are a couple of our experiences at FCO - Good Luck: http://tinyurl.com/fco-again or http://tinyurl.com/FCO-chaos2
Old Aug 18, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Well, I'm going to give it a go. I have a connecting flight coming in on a low cost carrier (Pegasus) and have a 3 1/2 hr layover before my domestic connection from FCO. I've been to FCO before and it's a nightmare. And that was just to get out of Italy. I made my plane literally as they were shutting the door. It was over 2 hours to get through security. I've never seen the like!

But seriously, that has to be a one off. I mean, it shouldn't take more than an hour and half to get my luggage and clear customs. That leaves me 2 hrs for a domestic checkin. Or if you prefer, 2 hrs to get my luggage and clear customs with 1 and a half hours for a domestic check in. Of course, flight delays could kill all this wonderful time I have built in ;-) Ahhh, the pleasures of traveling.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:49 am

Transferring from Terminal 3 to Terminal 1 at Rome airport

We'll be coming from an American Airline flight from Chicago to an Alitalia flight to Bari with our luggage. Is the free shuttle (supposedly every 15 minutes) a reasonable choice or should us senior citizens just take the hike to Terminal 1? Any other alternatives.
Incidentally, we originally had both flights on one ticket we bought in July but a week ago Alitalia said they wouldn't honor the ticket because American didn't have authority to write the portion on Alitalia and I was forced to buy a separate Alitalia ticket yesterday. What a way to treat customers!
Old Sep 26, 2013, 4:23 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by slgoodman
We'll be coming from an American Airline flight from Chicago to an Alitalia flight to Bari with our luggage. Is the free shuttle (supposedly every 15 minutes) a reasonable choice or should us senior citizens just take the hike to Terminal 1? Any other alternatives.
Incidentally, we originally had both flights on one ticket we bought in July but a week ago Alitalia said they wouldn't honor the ticket because American didn't have authority to write the portion on Alitalia and I was forced to buy a separate Alitalia ticket yesterday. What a way to treat customers!
With my 1h 5m connection, I made it. The customs portion of the transfer was super easy - it's a smaller customs area - and I went through it in a breeze. I also didn't leave the terminal to take a bus - just walked through the terminals. It was a bit of walking, but not too much and was easy to follow the signs.

I also believe you can just check your luggage all the way through - so you should't need to carry it along. Check with AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.