Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proper Attire for the Vatican

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2012, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Proper Attire for the Vatican

I know that my shoulders need to be covered when we visit the Vatican. If I am wearing a dress, can it come to the top of my knees, or does it need to come below my knees. I know that I can wear slacks, but would prefer to wear a dress. I don't want to get there and find out my dress is a little too short. Thanks for the advice!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 9:23 am

Both knees and shoulders must be covered at all times inside the Vatican.
I read this rule has been enforced even inside Vatican's pharmacy and postal office
Old Oct 11, 2012, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your answer. I will find a longer dress, or just wear dress slacke when we go.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 4:38 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Dress code for a Vatican visit

Originally Posted by fishingfrye
I know that my shoulders need to be covered when we visit the Vatican. If I am wearing a dress, can it come to the top of my knees, or does it need to come below my knees. I know that I can wear slacks, but would prefer to wear a dress. I don't want to get there and find out my dress is a little too short. Thanks for the advice!
The Vatican's webpages seem to have contradictory advice on the issue of skirt length:

From the Vatican's "Helpful Hints" page under "Required Clothing" it states:
"Access to Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, Vatican Gardens and Saint Peter's Basilica is permitted only to visitors dressed appropriately (no sleeveless blouses, no miniskirts, no shorts, no hats allowed)".
But on the Vatican's Scavi Tour page it says under "Regulations During Visits":
"Clothing should be appropriate for a sacred place: long trousers/slacks/jeans for men; dresses that reach below the knees or long trousers/slacks/jeans for women; shoulders must be covered for all".
I've worn a skirt that just came to the top of my knees and never received a reprimand or was denied access.

Originally Posted by jamm
Both knees and shoulders must be covered at all times inside the Vatican.
I read this rule has been enforced even inside Vatican's pharmacy and postal office
But we should always heed our Roman FTers, so that answer above will be the one I'll go by, thanks jamm for your post!

Speaking of the Scavi Tour, I've forgotten the details of your itinerary fishingfrye, are you planning on visiting the site?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA PP
I saw several people with clothing that ended mid-knee or just above denied access last summer. I'd err on the side of caution.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
The weird thing is that when my friend and I were at the Vatican we were wearing shorts & a t-shirt we didn't have a problem but then again it was really hot in Rome that week. Still I'd err on the side of caution. I am just posting my experiences there.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:37 am
Original Poster

SK3,
What is the Scavi Tour?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 3:54 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by fishingfrye
SK3,
What is the Scavi Tour?
I started a thread about it recently (it's actually just a few threads below this one):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...ites-rome.html

But many other FTers have talked about this tour over the years (which you'd see in a search: just use the word "scavi" and search within this forum).

HIGHLY recommend you taking this tour, really neat experience, highly educational and fascinating.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:10 am
Original Poster

SK3,
Thanks for the info. I will do my research and try to take the tour.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 7:57 am

Just wear a nun's habit and you'll be covered!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.