Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Rome tourists face €500 snacking fine

Rome tourists face €500 snacking fine

Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:45 pm

You are welcome sk3. Reading the very well detailed and accurate information you provide here I'm impressed how many things you know about Rome, I don't have this specific knowledge that you have
Old Oct 13, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: KM P, DL S | SPG G, HH S | Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
Is not that rule is not enforced.
It is all about littering. That should be actually enforced.
Yes, although the bill includes any stop in order to have food or drinks. A similar regulation has been in force for a long while re Spanish Steps before issuing this one.

The problem is not the polite tourist enjoying a sandwich somewhere, but the folks littering even on... monuments. And it's not that easy to set the wording for a bill targeting rude people, because that is the problem!
And it's not against tourists: it does target everybody. Clearly, in some case (place) mostly the locals, elsewhere the tourists.
This is the text:
http://www.comune.roma.it/PCR/resour...tobre_2012.pdf
Old Oct 14, 2012, 5:57 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
we all have over reacted.
That's the primary purpose of the Internet, and to some extent the MSM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 7:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thank goodness!

I have seen literal windrows and piles of rubbish in Rome at tourist venues as well as at religious venues after crowds have dispersed. I am sure it is costing the City amazing amounts of money to clean up after all the uncaring people.

I doubt anyone will fine you if you are standing near a dustbin and chuck the wrapper in - this is about the (unfortunately) thousands who carry bagfuls of snacks and drinks in, and leave it all on the ground when they are done. Pretty much as others have said above.

(Some comments offsite indicate the real problems are different, but the citric, carbonic and other acids in soft drinks not only destroy tooth enamel etc. they attack limestone and other stone constructions, and - have you ever seen a melted, baked and hardened gelato stuck to a stone railing?)

Originally Posted by rwoman
Hi Everyone,

I saw this in the news - Rome tourists face €500 snacking fine

Is it REALLY going to promote business at cafes?! When traveling, I often take healthy snacks with me to avoid eating junk I should generally stay away from.

Of course, it's pretty hard to avoid historic/architecturally valuable areas in Rome!!

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 20, 2012 at 7:40 pm
Old Oct 21, 2012, 3:59 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
I find myself wondering why people find it so hard to wander around beautiful, ancient cities for more than five minutes without shoveling food in their face.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 2:17 am
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
This story will not die. From the NY Times on Tuesday (Oct 23rd):

Buon Appetito, but Not Next to the Monuments
Old Oct 25, 2012, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by sk3
This story will not die. From the NY Times on Tuesday (Oct 23rd):

Buon Appetito, but Not Next to the Monuments
“You wouldn’t eat a pizza and drop tomato sauce all over the steps of the White House in Washington.”
That would summarize pretty well the contest.

Btw, I just run into this, unfortunately only few parts of the video are in english. So far until now only 7 people have been fined, as the police officer states. Vietato mangiare sui gradini di Piazza di Spagna

Funny answers from the tourists...
^ for the man at 1:41
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK

would hate that journalist
Old Oct 25, 2012, 4:56 pm
sk3
Suspended

Originally Posted by jamm
...Btw, I just run into this, unfortunately only few parts of the video are in english. So far until now only 7 people have been fined, as the police officer states. Vietato mangiare sui gradini di Piazza di Spagna ...
This was great, thanks jamm.

So is this issue getting a lot of coverage on Italian TV?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K [ex-GS],1+MM, SPG PLAT
Now that this new law has had a few months to shake out ... is it being enforced?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:01 pm
sk3
Suspended

Originally Posted by highflier1979
Now that this new law has had a few months to shake out ... is it being enforced?
Doesn't seem to be very much. At least on twitter I've seen comments from Rome that snacking is going on right under officers' noises, with no fines being given. And the ordinance is set to expire in January.

Here's an interesting blog post from the American Institute for Roman Culture:

No time for snack time: Rome’s anti-eating ordinance
Old Nov 16, 2012, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by sk3
Doesn't seem to be very much. At least on twitter I've seen comments from Rome that snacking is going on right under officers' noises, with no fines being given. And the ordinance is set to expire in January.

Here's an interesting blog post from the American Institute for Roman Culture:

No time for snack time: Rome’s anti-eating ordinance
sk3,

Thanks for keep this current with updates!! I'm curious to see if it gets renewed in January.

Old Nov 16, 2012, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by rwoman
sk3,

Thanks for keep this current with updates!! I'm curious to see if it gets renewed in January.

It will probably be renewed in Jan 2013, at the moment I don't see any kind of enforcement of this rule in the center. Unless you setup a 10 square ft. picnic area in front of a monument, no one is going to hassle you.

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
I find myself wondering why people find it so hard to wander around beautiful, ancient cities for more than five minutes without shoveling food in their face.
how true, I often ask myself the same question and until now I failed to find an answer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.