Search

Hotel recommendations for Rome?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2012, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & Bonus *S
Hotel recommendations for Rome?

Hello everyone,
I'm doing a trip to Rome for 3 days in September (Sep 9 to Sep 12) with 2 close friends and I was wondering wether anyone here has some recommendations hotel-wise. Now, I am not a member of any hotel loyalty programme and and ideally I'm looking for something that is comfortable but fairly basic (the 3 of us are all students) to keep price down somewhat. Looking forward to seeing what you guys think.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 1:35 am
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
What's your budget?

Last edited by sk3; Aug 17, 2012 at 1:53 am
Old Aug 17, 2012, 2:36 am
Original Poster

about €50pp per night max (give or take €5)
Old Aug 17, 2012, 3:01 am
sk3
Suspended

Originally Posted by WC_EEND
about €50pp per night max (give or take €5)
I originally replied, planning to refer a specific B&B, but then deleted that post since I found out they're all booked up.

I've checked some of my bookmarks for you, but so far I'm not having much luck. The problem is that your dates are quite soon, and most places that I'm aware of for a budget traveler are usually accommodations with limited rooms which book up in advance. (And your dates in September are peak season).

Are you familiar with airbnb.com? I did a search for your dates for 3 people, and I've seen some possibilities in your price range. I always want to stick to places that have been reviewed, and the more good reviews the better of course. I usually also steer clear of places with a "Strict" cancellation policy, but in your case, with your trip coming up so soon, maybe that wouldn't be as much of a concern? This could be a good solution for you.

I'll keep checking other hotels that I'm aware of, maybe there'll be some last minute deals... May I ask you, are you 3 single people? Or are 2 of you a couple? (Or rather, do you need 3 single beds, or one double and one single?)
Old Aug 17, 2012, 3:15 am
sk3
Suspended

The BeeHive could be a good choice for you, if there's availability (its website doesn't have a real time booking engine, you'll have to send an inquiry).

Its website:
The BeeHive

Its reviews:
TripAdvisor
Old Aug 17, 2012, 3:18 am
Original Poster

We are 3 single people, so yeah, 3 single beds is preferred.

As for the cancellation policy, well the flights are already booked so we are going either way, so it doesn't really matter much.

Also, thanks for helping out, I really appreaciate it.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 4:24 am
sk3
Suspended

You're very welcome! (I'm always researching this stuff for myself anyway - and I LIKE doing this!)

I've found something..... there are a group of hotels on the Aventine managed by the same people that has consistently been well regarded for many, many years. Staying on the Aventine will have you somewhat removed from things (as opposed to if you stayed right in the center near the Pantheon), but you'll be close to Testaccio with all the clubs and nightlife, and just over the river from Trastevere, and of course, to the north you'll have the Centro Storico. My friends stayed there a few years ago and rented scooters, so they easily got around and never found being based on this residential hill to be a hindrance.

There are 3 properties on the Aventine and a forth in an area I'm admittedly unfamiliar with (the Hotel Villa San Lorenzo). On the Aventine, the most pricey one is the Hotel San Anselmo, then there's the Villa San Pio, and most affordable (usually) is the Hotel Aventino. But the Villa San Pio is showing a total price for your 3 nights for a triple room at €470. This is their "Slim" rate which does not include breakfast, but it does include VAT. (Plus at all these places you'll be required to pay a €2 per person per night tourism tax). In the pictures their triple room shows a large bed plus an additional single bed - but I'm almost positive that the large bed is actually 2 single beds pushed together, that can be separated in your case. But check with the hotel.

Here's the website for the entire hotel group, from there you can click on the Villa San Pio's site:
http://www.aventinohotels.com/

And here are reviews for the Villa San Pio
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ome_Lazio.html

http://www.venere.com/hotels/rome/ho...n-pio/#reviews
Old Aug 17, 2012, 4:51 am
Original Poster

the location doesn't matter that much as long as it has decent public transport links (I've heard about driving in Italy and I really don't want to risk it) and isn't in a sort of run-down area of Rome. I checked on google maps though and it fits both criteria quite fine, however the cheapest rate I seem to be able to get is €560 for a triple room, which is a wee bit out of budget.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 5:01 am
sk3
Suspended

That was a very good price for the Villa San Pio, but its style and decor just doesn't seem like a good fit for 3 young singles.

But another of my bookmarks is showing availability for a triple room for your dates for a nightly price of €170 (so just a little over your €55pp max). And I think its style looks pretty neat. It's a non-refundable, prepaid rate but it includes a full buffet breakfast (and "Wifi, 1/2 Lt. mineral water in the room, SKY TV").

It's in Ostiense, so you're even further south than if staying on the Aventine. But Testaccio is just to the west where you'll find great places to eat, and as mentioned above, it's where there are a lot of clubs and where you'll experience "real Roman" nightlife. And you can easily take the metro to get closer to P.za Navona, Campo de Fiore, etc, or take the metro directly to the Colosseum, the Spanish Steps, the Vatican. Here are the links:

Abitart Hotel

TripAdvisor

Venere

Old Aug 17, 2012, 5:03 am
sk3
Suspended

the location doesn't matter that much as long as it has decent public transport links (I've heard about driving in Italy and I really don't want to risk it) and isn't in a sort of run-down area of Rome. I checked on google maps though and it fits both criteria quite fine, however the cheapest rate I seem to be able to get is €560 for a triple room, which is a wee bit out of budget.
Do send an inquiry to the BeeHive - hopefully you can get 3 single rooms and each have more space and privacy, etc...
Old Aug 17, 2012, 5:12 am
sk3
Suspended

And also, you might as well send an inquiry to that first place I had in mind. On the property's own website there isn't a real time booking engine so I had looked at the Venere site - which showed no availability. But maybe if you contacted the B&B directly there might be rooms (I think it's worth a shot).

It's a new place so there aren't that many reviews yet, but they have single rooms at €50 and it's in Monti - and I think it would be ideal for you. (But what do I know!). Here are the links:

Nerva Accommodations

Reviews:
TripAdvisor
Venere
Hotels.com
Old Aug 17, 2012, 5:15 am
Original Poster

the Abitart hotel is looking quite good, I'll email a link to the 2 friends joining me to see what they think about it (I'm the one responsable for planning ).
Old Aug 17, 2012, 5:25 am
sk3
Suspended

the Abitart hotel is looking quite good, I'll email a link to the 2 friends joining me to see what they think about it (I'm the one responsable for planning ).
Good luck and buona notte (it's time for bed where I am).
Old Aug 17, 2012, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sk3
Good luck and buona notte (it's time for bed where I am).
I can imagine, LA is what? 9 hours behind Belgium? Either way, you've been a great help, I really appreciate it.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:05 pm
sk3
Suspended

Hi again.

Did you check out airbnb.com already?

After putting in your dates, number of guests, and limiting the search to accommodations for the "Entire home/apt" these are the first 2 that looked good - but like I said above, there are many more:

STYLISH near VATICAN - wide TERRACE - this is showing a total rate of €327 plus a €39 Airbnb service fee. (That makes it €41pp per night). And you can read 58 positive reviews.

and

A Secret place in the heart of Rome - in Trastevere. The total rate is €435 plus a €52 Airbnb service fee (€54pp per night). This apt has 28 good reviews. Trastevere would be a terrific area to be based.

Think how nice it would be to have all the space of these apartments - versus the 3 of you cramming yourselves into one small hotel room...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.