FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Italy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy-634/)
-   -   Terravision bus FCO-Roma Termini (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy/1367441-terravision-bus-fco-roma-termini.html)

mary_228 Jul 17, 2012 10:34 am

Terravision bus FCO-Roma Termini

I will be traveling wil three other family members (with rather large suitcases) and am in need of advice regarding our arrival at the start of our trip to Italy.
Of course there are many options:
1)Taxi to hotel should be 48 euros as best I can tell with all luggage included.
2)Terravision bus 16 euro plus taxi to hotel, which I estimate to be 12 euro (starting at Termini there is an extra 2 plus at least 4 more for luggage, so I estimate 9 euros before we even get moving, then adding in the km charge.)

Our hotel is on Via March near the Via Veneto, a 17 minute walk according to google maps. Should I be afraid of getting ripped off by taxi drivers and try walking it? We will have been traveling for 12+ hours at this point.

How convenient is the Terravsion service beginning at FCO Terminal 3? Are there any ticket sellers at the airport or must I purchase online?

bdemaria Jul 17, 2012 11:45 am

It may show as "17 minute walk" on google maps, but it is uphill from the station to the Via Marche.

W/that many people, large suitcases, and 12+ hrs of traveling, I would definitely take a taxi, or car service, from the airport directly to the hotel.

slawecki Jul 17, 2012 2:28 pm

when in rome, we stay at the Ambasciatori Palace. it is about half way up the hill from Bernini fountain. we take a taxi up that hill. if you are young, go for it. from bottom to top, is about 130 feet of vertical. 12-13 stories or so.

sk3 Jul 17, 2012 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria (Post 18948001)
It may show as "17 minute walk" on google maps, but it is uphill from the station to the Via Marche.

W/that many people, large suitcases, and 12+ hrs of traveling, I would definitely take a taxi, or car service, from the airport directly to the hotel.

+1

mary_228 Jul 17, 2012 7:00 pm

I guess these maps don't show everything! Uphill with luggage? No thanks. Can you tell me if, upon our return to Termini, our next hotel is on Via Nationale near V.A. Pretis. Is that also uphill?

bdemaria Jul 17, 2012 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by mary_228 (Post 18951012)
I guess these maps don't show everything! Uphill with luggage? No thanks. Can you tell me if, upon our return to Termini, our next hotel is on Via Nationale near V.A. Pretis. Is that also uphill?

You would again be heading up hill from Via Agostino de Pretis - but it is not as significant as the Via Veneto area.

sk3 Jul 17, 2012 7:23 pm

You can go into Google streetview and virtually walk it. And then you can pivot 360° and somewhat gauge how hilly the terrain is.

But regardless, as bdemaria suggested, a cab or car service directly from FCO to your hotel really is your best choice. (And btw, and just trying to help - do you really need to each pack "a rather large suitcase"?)

slawecki Jul 18, 2012 10:56 am

rome is built on seven hills. everything in all directions is uphill. if you pull up the google map of via veneto and magnify it to close to max, there are little numbers beside it. i think maybe those are altitude. not certain, because they look to be in feet.

catchatiger Jul 19, 2012 4:47 am

I would arrange for a private transfer in advance. It may be a bit more than a taxi but the four travelers will have plenty of space in a van everyone and their luggage (plus there will guaranteed A/C). The rate will be writing so there will no surprises.

mary_228 Jul 21, 2012 3:52 pm

Can the typical taxi fit four passengers plus luggage?

The feedback is to take the taxi. Can the official Rome taxis that comply with the fixed rate plan from the airport to our hotel accomodate four passengers plus four suitcases? Three of the cases are 26".

I don't want to get taken advantage of the first transaction in Rome. Are there extra charges I will be required to pay? I received this reply to the question of taxi capacity on Trip Advisor:

"the new law is the N. 161 of the 30.05.2012
and here is the fixed rate:
Fiumicino - Mura Aureliane: € 48,00.

every passenger can carry one bag with no extra; every luggages more than cm 35x25x50 (except the first one) have a € 1,00 of extracharge... just to be sure you may call them at 3570 or 6645 or 060609 (remember the 0039 for italy)."
So I would have to pay extra for some of the bags? But can the taxi hold this luggage remains to be answered.

bdemaria Jul 21, 2012 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by mary_228 (Post 18976220)
The feedback is to take the taxi. Can the official Rome taxis that comply with the fixed rate plan from the airport to our hotel accomodate four passengers plus four suitcases? Three of the cases are 26".

I don't want to get taken advantage of the first transaction in Rome. Are there extra charges I will be required to pay? I received this reply to the question of taxi capacity on Trip Advisor:

"the new law is the N. 161 of the 30.05.2012
and here is the fixed rate:
Fiumicino - Mura Aureliane: € 48,00.

every passenger can carry one bag with no extra; every luggages more than cm 35x25x50 (except the first one) have a € 1,00 of extracharge... just to be sure you may call them at 3570 or 6645 or 060609 (remember the 0039 for italy)."
So I would have to pay extra for some of the bags? But can the taxi hold this luggage remains to be answered.

W/that many people and bags, you should arrange a car service, rather than a taxi b/c no, not all taxis will be able to accommodate a party this size w/large bags. In addition, this means that upon your arrival a car will be waiting for you, rather than having to wait in a taxi line. You might find Ron in Rome's overview more informative than that available on tripadvisor.

As for the add'l baggage fees: you get 1 piece of luggage per passenger, so if you have a large suitcase and a carryon sized rollaboard suitcase, then yes you will be charged 1EU for the 2nd bag. You wouldn't be charged for a purse or small item.

Finally, why the belief that you be "taken advantage of" by a taxi driver. Could it happen? Sure, just like it could happen in New York, Chicago or LA. However, there is no reason to assume that all of the Roman cab drivers are out to 'rip off' tourists.

mary_228 Jul 21, 2012 4:50 pm

bdemaria asks: Finally, why the belief that you be "taken advantage of" by a taxi driver. Could it happen? Sure, just like it could happen in New York, Chicago or LA. However, there is no reason to assume that all of the Roman cab drivers are out to 'rip off' tourists."

I just want to know what to expect. In New York and Chicago, I usually know the route the cab should take, so I won't get the run around that would increase the meter. Similarly, in Rome, if a cabbie tries to claim all sorts of extra charges, I want to be prepared with the rules. Just trying to be smart. I am also very frugal, which is how I am able to take this trip with my family. ;) Thanks for the link to roninrome. Apparently the fixed rate taxi can be a bargain, but only if we can actually utilize it. I was hoping the frequent flyers on this forum might have experienced group travel in taxis.

sk3 Jul 22, 2012 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by mary_228 (Post 18976423)
...I just want to know what to expect. In New York and Chicago, I usually know the route the cab should take, so I won't get the run around that would increase the meter. Similarly, in Rome, if a cabbie tries to claim all sorts of extra charges, I want to be prepared with the rules...

See the FT thread below, within it you'll find 4 links to official websites stating all the fares/rules:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...new-fares.html
And this FT thread will provide information on the other modes of transport:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/italy...portation.html

And see these 2 threads from SlowTravel with anecdotal posts from visitors and Italians regarding 4 (and 5) passengers taking cabs. (My user name there is Jady).
Taxi in Rome
Taxi for 5 in Rome?

badatz Aug 1, 2012 7:16 am

Originally Posted by sk3 (Post 18951148)
You can go into Google streetview and virtually walk it. And then you can pivot 360° and somewhat gauge how hilly the terrain is.

Just for the record if "you pivot 360" you are back where you started from, so you will not see any hill.

The correct term should be "180" which will allow you to see in the other direction.

In any case I agree that the OP should take a car service or taxi not the bus

sk3 Aug 1, 2012 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by badatz (Post 19039342)
Just for the record if "you pivot 360" you are back where you started from, so you will not see any hill.

The correct term should be "180" which will allow you to see in the other direction.

In any case I agree that the OP should take a car service or taxi not the bus

Seriously?!

Actually, I did use an incorrect word. I should have said:

"And then you can rotate 360° and somewhat gauge how hilly the terrain is"

My advice was not so the OP could "see in the other direction" as you thought I was implying, but rather, so that she could see the complete 360° around her and thus better understand the landscape. Happy now? Or do you still feel the need to correct my use of the English language? :D