Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Florence

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2012, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Florence

What are the "big" things to see and do in Florence? We are planning on makeing a reservation to see David, but didn't know what else might need to go on our "must see and do" list. We have a few days to spend in Florence and Venice, before going on to Rome and are trying to split our time. Thanks for the help!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:17 am

Florence is amazing, you will love it! My top choices are Galleria Uffizi (buy tickets in advance if possible and stay as long as you wish); Ponte Vecciho (I go at night as it us beautiful - gold stores are mostly closed if that is a concern for purchasing gifts - not an issue in my mind as overpriced); Galerria Academia for David statue (less than an hour and buy tickets there if you want, people come and go quickly unlike Uffizi); and just getting lost walking through history with incredible piazzas like piazza del duomo (I go both at daytime and after dark for different look with lights on, bit either time is incredible). Enjoy!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fishingfrye
What are the "big" things to see and do in Florence? We are planning on makeing a reservation to see David, but didn't know what else might need to go on our "must see and do" list. We have a few days to spend in Florence and Venice, before going on to Rome and are trying to split our time. Thanks for the help!
do you have any interests in Renaissance art, or is this sort of a bucket list of must sees and must do's? i am always curious about the people going to italy and gotta do the must sees. the uffizi is full of paintings of gutted saints. the pitti palace is full of portorates by van dyke. there are some church doors that are famous, a dome and the meeting house. the meeting house is famous cause that's where Hannibal Lecter guts and hangs pazzi. the whole place looks like a renaissance town. it is pretty much a replacement, as almost everything was blown to smithereens in ww II.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Am on a long weekend in Florence as I post this.
Staying at the Hotel Delgi Orafi with a private patio on the 4th floor overlooking the Arno and the Ponte Vecchio; lazying watching the world go by. It's The Room With A View as featured in the movie.

Florence is all museums so pick a couple wisely. Don't try to see all pictures in each gallery. Get a guide book, decide which artwork you want to see and play "treasure hunt". It's more fun. Otherwise hire a private guide so you can get the full educational experience. There is too much to see here and it is hard for anyone to know what you are interested in.

There are also Segways tours, horse carriage rides, loads of gelato shops to choose from, cooking experience, chocolate factory tours, boating in the river in town and a few designer outlet malls for shopping outside town.

It's all about your interests.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I know that we want to see some of the art, David, and just get the
feel of the city.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: KE MC
Originally Posted by jdtravel
Florence is amazing, you will love it! My top choices are Galleria Uffizi (buy tickets in advance if possible and stay as long as you wish); Ponte Vecciho (I go at night as it us beautiful - gold stores are mostly closed if that is a concern for purchasing gifts - not an issue in my mind as overpriced); Galerria Academia for David statue (less than an hour and buy tickets there if you want, people come and go quickly unlike Uffizi); and just getting lost walking through history with incredible piazzas like piazza del duomo (I go both at daytime and after dark for different look with lights on, bit either time is incredible). Enjoy!
+1

Go up Giotto's tower as well! It's a really nice view of the city from the center of town.

OTOH, one can get a view of the center of the city from the outside at Boboli Gardens. And easily spend half a day there relaxing about.

For food, I highly recommend the Ristorante Leonardo (self service). It's very close to the Duomo and can find super cheap, good Italian food.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 5:16 am
tyn

Leaf through a city guide and see what appeals to you. The must see must do is travel in a can.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 5:58 am

Programs: KE MC
Originally Posted by tyn
Leaf through a city guide and see what appeals to you. The must see must do is travel in a can.
why not ask fellow FTers? i found city guides often contains lots of paid advertisements and little useful info.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

go to library and get a fodor and a frommer guide to italy. they have a section on the must see, must doez. book does not have to be current. nothing new in italy the past century or two.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the help and the resturant suggestions,
Old Jun 5, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA / DL / MB
OP, what time of year are you going? This will help us provide some suggestions beyond the basics.

There's plenty to do around Firenze besides museums and galleries (although them, plus churches, are the crux of the city), but I do recommend spending a considerable amount of time in them. The Bargello is often overlooked in the tourist rush. I'm a big fan of this old school prison. For views of the city without taking a bus to Fiesole, I recommend a walk up to Piazzale Michaelangelo. You may choose the winding roadways up or the back way via steps at the base of the hill behind apartments. Cross over the Ponte alle Grazie and head east along the river. You'll find it if you're adventurous enough. A climb up the Campanile or Duomo is a must as well. Ross King wrote a great book (IMO) entitled 'Brunelleschi's Dome'. If you have the time and are a reader at heart I recommend taking this on before visiting the Duomo.

Check out the Mercato Centrale to stock that picnic basket. A walk around there is an experience in itself. If the Viola are in town, assuming it's football season, go see a match at the Artemio Franchi. It's a 30-45 minute walk from the city center over by the 'Campo di Marte' train station.

A considerable amount of time should be spent enjoying apertivo and the countless hole-in-the-wall food & vino places.

If you need any help with Rome I'm sure you can find it here as well. Just let us know!
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:09 am
tyn

Originally Posted by choijw
why not ask fellow FTers? i found city guides often contains lots of paid advertisements and little useful info.
Depends on which ones you buy

Reason I suggest having a look at what you can see in Florence, is that it is very much a matter of personal taste.
Lock me up for a day in Cappella Brancacci or Museo di San Marco and I'm the happiest FT bunny, but I do realize that other FTs may get bored after about 15 minutes.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

We will be in Venice, Rome and Florene in May of 2013. Loving the suggestions!!!
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA / DL / MB
Originally Posted by fishingfrye
We will be in Venice, Rome and Florene in May of 2013. Loving the suggestions!!!
Can't provide too much guidance on Venice but what's your stay in Rome looking like? If you could provides a total number of days, what days of the week, where are you staying, when you say "we" do you mean just you and your other half, are there kids involved, plan on staying in Rome or do you want to take a day trip to the beach, etc. The more details the better and we can help you out.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 1:07 am

I've found the City Secrets series to be very helpful in pointing out some sights that even many locals are unaware of. Try your library or pick up a copy from Amazon cheaply.
Florence, Venice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.