Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Rome shore excursions. Tour or wing it on our own?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue

A group of us will be going on the NCL Epic cruise on May 13 out of Barcelona that will include a stop in Rome/Citavechia. We have from 7AM to 7PM to enjoy Rome.

I have not been back to Rome/Italy since 1985.

Can anyone recommend a tour company that will take us on a private tour of Rome for the 6 six of us? We have looked in to Viator.com and other websites.
Have not made a decision yet on which company to use. If we do the private tour, it will run nearly $200 USD per person including transfer to/from ship, entrance fees to some sites.

Or is it recommendable that we can take a shuttle to/from Rome and purchased the Hop-on-Hop-off or the unlimited public transportation pass to go see sites ourselves? This price is $96 USD that includes transfer from ship to Rome and the unlimited transportation ride within the city.

I am actually reconsidering doing the tour of Rome on our own leisurely pace.

Your input?

Thanks.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 2:13 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by SDCA
A group of us will be going on the NCL Epic cruise on May 13 out of Barcelona that will include a stop in Rome/Citavechia. We have from 7AM to 7PM to enjoy Rome.

I have not been back to Rome/Italy since 1985.

Can anyone recommend a tour company that will take us on a private tour of Rome for the 6 six of us? We have looked in to Viator.com and other websites.
Have not made a decision yet on which company to use. If we do the private tour, it will run nearly $200 USD per person including transfer to/from ship, entrance fees to some sites.

Or is it recommendable that we can take a shuttle to/from Rome and purchased the Hop-on-Hop-off or the unlimited public transportation pass to go see sites ourselves? This price is $96 USD that includes transfer from ship to Rome and the unlimited transportation ride within the city.

I am actually reconsidering doing the tour of Rome on our own leisurely pace.

Your input?

Thanks.
Hi SDCA. In case you haven't come across the wonderful website that FTer RinR maintains I wanted to give you these links:

Cruising? Come to Rome for the Day!

Rome in a Day for Cruisers

I personally would opt to explore Rome on my own...
Old Apr 22, 2012, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Thank you SK3. These two links really helped. We hope to decide soon as we are leaving in roughly two weeks.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:23 am
sk3
Suspended

Some more links - to Rome's official tourism portal:
http://www.turismoroma.it/?lang=en

And from that site they have some basic itineraries, 2 days being the shortest:
Rome in Two Days

Not to be missed

Theme routes
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:32 am
sk3
Suspended

And for finding the best food options, and to keep you safe from ending up in inferior tourist traps I recommend either downloading Katie Parla's app, or Elizabeth Minchilli's app. Once downloaded you can use them offline:

Rome for Foodies

Eat Rome

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.