Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Advice on foodie side-trip from Rome

Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, UA

Two couples, originally from New Orleans, will be in Rome from 17 March-25 March 2012. We're considering whether to spend the entire week in Rome, or to go off somewhere else for a few days. We're considering:
a) Sorrento, with stops in Naples, Pompeii, and Amalfi (which we understand will be mostly closed when we are there)
b) southern Umbria, around Assissi
c) southern Tuscany, around Arezzo or Montepulciano
d) Pescara

Although we've traveled extensively in northern Italy, we've never been to any of these places.

We will have a car and driver, so transportation is not an issue.

While we enjoy museums and churches and so on, the real point of the trip is to eat new things and get cooking ideas (one of us is a proficient amateur chef).

Any advice welcome.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
I assume that your travels in N. Italy have included time in the Emilia-Romagna region, which some observers rank at the nation's best foodie destination -- Bologna, Modena, Parma etc.

An option you don't mention but might want to investigate, especially if you like seafood, is Sicily.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i have done a lot of meals in both bologna and modena, and was not thrilled with either. i will try parma next time i do a trade show in the area.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.