Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to stay in Florence [Merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Stayed 3 nights at Hotel Brunelleschi...great location/centrality to the heart of town (Duomo is 2 minutes walking away). Amenities solid all around, and the comped bottle of Persecco was a nice touch (we were not there for any special occasion). That said, we did not have a window with a view - so that was a definite downside.
I'm just finishing up a 3-night stay at the Brunelleschi as well. The location simply couldn't be better, fairly short walk from the main train station (Firenze SMN) and very short walks to most of the main tourist sites. Also, literally a minute from two pretty good gelato places that I know from NYC, Grom and Amorino, very handy in this hot weather!

Nice room, good service, twice/day housekeeping (I didn't know anyone did that anymore), comped water and cookies; will certainly consider staying here again.

I booked this stay through CancelOn (via Trivago), which was significantly less than any other site. Upon further research CancelOn had some negative reviews, so I called and verified the reservation directly the the Bruneschelli and no problems at all.

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I would also add that they nearly were the cause of us missing all of our flights back today...we had asked for a cab to be called for a 5:45 pickup for a 7:20 flight. However, they informed us while checking us out (at a leisurely pace) that all of the cab drivers were striking - and that they had been calling since 5 AM. It did not even strike them to call us immediately and let us know!! We walked/ran towards the train station and flagged down the 6 AM bus just as it was pulling away from the train station (ahead of schedule, no less) in the middle of the street. That is sheer thoughtlessness on their part (they knew we had a flight to catch) for not telling us and makes me think hard about contemplating staying there again in the future.
Yoikes! I have a 6:40AM flight from FLR tomorrow morning and need to catch a 4AM taxi ....
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by JHunter
I'm just finishing up a 3-night stay at the Brunelleschi as well. The location simply couldn't be better, fairly short walk from the main train station (Firenze SMN) and very short walks to most of the main tourist sites. Also, literally a minute from two pretty good gelato places that I know from NYC, Grom and Amorino, very handy in this hot weather!
Nothing wrong with that gelato, but wander down to Perche No! and Vivoli. Everyone has their favorites, those are mine.

Yoikes! I have a 6:40AM flight from FLR tomorrow morning and need to catch a 4AM taxi ....
Have you booked it already? If not, 0554242 is the number to call (at least that's the company I use, mostly because I remember the number). I think they also work through AppTaxi. I usually use SMS to reserve, but you'll need an Italian number for that most likely.

I've also used Groundlink to book black cars before. Their rates will be all over the place, though.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: Victoria Silver
Hi guys,

I'm going to be in Florence between 16/feb and 20/feb (4 nights) and I'm looking for an accommodation that falls in the range of 100-130 euros per night.
Ideally, I want it to be as close to the main sites as it could. Is this a very tall order? Do you guys have any suggestions?

Best regards,

Mauro
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by maurolscla
Hi guys,

I'm going to be in Florence between 16/feb and 20/feb (4 nights) and I'm looking for an accommodation that falls in the range of 100-130 euros per night.
Ideally, I want it to be as close to the main sites as it could. Is this a very tall order? Do you guys have any suggestions?

Best regards,

Mauro
That's a slower time of year and should be completely doable. That said, is there anything in particular you're looking for? Hotels can range from a clean place to sleep (and nothing else) to full service. That time of year I'd also suggest looking at apartment rentals, as they'll be priced lower as well. I've rented through Itaco in Florence, and the place was great. They list on Airbnb if you're more comfortable with that platform, but you can also work directly with them. They have a physical presence in Florence.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by maurolscla
Hi guys,

Best regards,

Mauro
Yes, it is doable, but my suggestion is to realize that not everyone on the Italy Forum is a guy.

I don't know the female/male ratio, but there is no doubt that there are many "girl" posters, and their advice is as valued as the advice of the "guys."

OK, I'll get off the pulpit.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Hotel Rapallo was a lovely spot for a 3 night stay back in 2013.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/it/rap...n#availability

Seems that it continues to impress its visitors.

Priced at the low end of your budget, offers a decent breakfast spread and a nice (but tightly seated) cafe/bar during the afternoon hours. Concierge was most helpful in making us dinner reservations on 2 nights (one of which was a local steakhouse, Florentine T-bone was great!) as well as calling us a cab.

It is about a 10-15 minute walk from the Duomo. Not right in the heart of downtown, but I enjoyed it very much when I stayed. Felt it struck a good balance of being close to the main areas but not too "touristy" either.

Hope that helps!
Old Jan 27, 2018, 12:37 am

Has anyone stayed at Residenza Castiglioni? (B&B) Luxury Bed and Breakfast in Florence - Residenza Castiglioni - Official Website

There are 3 of us all adults and is consindering Residenza Castiglioni for a 3 night stay this March.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by zqsn5678
Has anyone stayed at Residenza Castiglioni? (B&B) Luxury Bed and Breakfast in Florence - Residenza Castiglioni - Official Website

There are 3 of us all adults and is consindering Residenza Castiglioni for a 3 night stay this March.
I can't speak to the hotel itself, but the location is fine.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:11 pm

Looking for SAFE hotel near Florence SMN station. Bit worried about reports here and on TA about aggressive purse snatching or even pulling whole suitcase from hand (can handle pickpockets, it is the open aggressive rollaway snatching from 12-14 years old that got me bit worried about)

Not visiting Florence (apart from a couple of hours of quick walk) per se this trip but stopping a night to visit Pisa for kids next morning.

Any recommendation for 3 or 4 star (4 women with 2 middle aged and 2 very young ones). Trying to stay in 1 room.
Trying to stay close to station if it is safe.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by desi
Looking for SAFE hotel near Florence SMN station. Bit worried about reports here and on TA about aggressive purse snatching or even pulling whole suitcase from hand (can handle pickpockets, it is the open aggressive rollaway snatching from 12-14 years old that got me bit worried about)

Not visiting Florence (apart from a couple of hours of quick walk) per se this trip but stopping a night to visit Pisa for kids next morning.

Any recommendation for 3 or 4 star (4 women with 2 middle aged and 2 very young ones). Trying to stay in 1 room.
Trying to stay close to station if it is safe.
I booked my son and DIL at Hotel Grand Minerva since it was close to the train station and we were planning to meet them in Siena the day after their arrival. They had only good things to say about the hotel and the area it was in. It was an easy walk to the station with luggage.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:07 am

I recently stayed in the Boscolo Palazzo Gaddi Astoria 4* Hotel. Price was 130Euro w/o breakfast. However I can highly recommend the Hotel if your are looking for something autentic and traditional. The building itself is from the 16century and you still get a real key for your room. Location is just amazing close to all sightseeing highlights. Furthermore it has an Roof-top Terrace with excellent view on Florence.

tbrein likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I know slightly OT but does anyone have any suggestions for airport limo service? There is a whole running thread for FCO/Rome but nothing for FLR. I know the taxis are cheap but Mrs. B would like some assistance upon arrival as she will have luggage and a 12-year old. I suppose the hotel can provide a car, but any other options?? Thanks
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I know slightly OT but does anyone have any suggestions for airport limo service? There is a whole running thread for FCO/Rome but nothing for FLR. I know the taxis are cheap but Mrs. B would like some assistance upon arrival as she will have luggage and a 12-year old. I suppose the hotel can provide a car, but any other options?? Thanks
I have no first-hand experience as we always just take a taxi - honestly even when my daughter was under 2, taxis worked pretty well, so consider it if your 12 year old can help with a bag. But the airport website lists this agency:

CO.A.VE. Home Page - CO.A.VE Florence Airport Transfer Services

They have a counter within the airport itself, which is probably helpful if you're looking for assistance before leaving the building. According to their site, a trip from FLR into Florence is 55 euro (taxi is 22-25 euro, depending on day/time, plus 1 euro per bag).
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I have no first-hand experience as we always just take a taxi - honestly even when my daughter was under 2, taxis worked pretty well, so consider it if your 12 year old can help with a bag. But the airport website lists this agency:

CO.A.VE. Home Page - CO.A.VE Florence Airport Transfer Services

They have a counter within the airport itself, which is probably helpful if you're looking for assistance before leaving the building. According to their site, a trip from FLR into Florence is 55 euro (taxi is 22-25 euro, depending on day/time, plus 1 euro per bag).
Rip off to charge you double. Taxis in Italy are excellent, a completely different experience from the USA. No reason to pay double the price. It's a scam. Just grab a taxi. Italian taxis are second to none, perhaps with the exception of Japan.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Not surprisingly the hotel wants E100+ for VIP car service at the airport! I will tell Mrs. B to grab a taxi...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.