Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

ATM Machines in Italy

ATM Machines in Italy

Old Sep 15, 2011, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

ATM Machines in Italy

What ATM machines in Italy have the best rates and least expensive charges? And correspondingly, what American bank cards are the cheapest to use in the ATM machines? I was planning on using my Wells Fargo Bank card
Old Sep 15, 2011, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

italy has a lot of banks(they invented that stuff), so a lot of atm machines. also, i found half the atm machines did not work, and half that did work did not give more than a couple hundred euro. so, how much money are you really trying to pull out of these machines. thousands of euro? in that case pm me, and i will try to help.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 9:25 pm

Programs: qantas airnz
Originally Posted by slawecki
italy has a lot of banks(they invented that stuff), so a lot of atm machines. also, i found half the atm machines did not work, and half that did work did not give more than a couple hundred euro. so, how much money are you really trying to pull out of these machines. thousands of euro? in that case pm me, and i will try to help.
From my experience it seems that the local/regional banks are the ones that provide the hassles for visitors. There are certainly heaps of ATMs so no worries of finding one that will work.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 3:53 am

The ATMs in Italy do not charge a fee but your bank may charge a fee for using an ATM that is not on its network. I have never had a problem using the ATM but one of my friends had to use a machine on the +Plus network that made it a bit challenging.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 8:08 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
BofA is a part of the global ATM alliance, you can withdraw money free of charge at BNL d'Italia. Otherwise get get a free card like Schwab (they also refund all your ATM fees that you encounter anywhere in the world) and you're set.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Surely our bank is charging us fees, but I just (today) withdrew 500 Euros from some bank brand name that included Firenze, in a smallish town a coupla hours away from Firenze, and my Bank of America account indicated $699 and change debit. But I also amended my online BofA for $800 a day atm withdrawal. So that helped as well
Old Sep 25, 2011, 7:29 am

I think nearly all the ATM machines in Italy are in the same network. I have not paid fees on cash withdrawals. I mostly use an HSBC Premier Debit card and HSBC does not add a foreign exchange fee.

I did run into one ATM at an Airport which offered to do the foreign conversion at their end, "saving you your banks fees". The exchange rate was dreadful. But I was able to decline the offer and withdraw as usual.

My wife is always baffled why there are still money exchange businesses - can't imagine who would use them or why.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Brad9
What ATM machines in Italy have the best rates and least expensive charges? And correspondingly, what American bank cards are the cheapest to use in the ATM machines? I was planning on using my Wells Fargo Bank card
Wells Fargo unfortunately is among the most expensive at $5 a transaction unless your account is a PMA. With that you get two ATM withdrawals per calendar month with the $5 fee waived - formerly it was unlimited.

There is a lot of information here comparing bank charges, although I don't know if it's current.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: skymiles
Use Deutsche Bank with a BOA debit card. There are no fees involved. Also, get a Capital One credit card, there are no international exchange rate fees as well. Do not bring Euros with you from the US, the exchange rates you pay here are very high!
Old Oct 2, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: aa co
I think you will find this website useful in answering your question. Note that it is concerned with what fees your bank charges, not the bank that runs the ATM. Here in the US an ATM will say "As a non-customer you will be charged $X. Do you wish to proceed?" I just returned from Italy and Germany and was never asked so I hope the banks there do not charge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.