Wiki Posts
Search

Republic day in rome

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold; SPG: Gold:
Republic day in rome

I am getting contradictory information. Some say nothing is closed, others say banks and schools and government offices otherwise open. Then I read that the Colosseum and Forum are closed. Then they said they are only closed half a day and then open.
Does anyong know for sure as it would definitely affect our itinerary. thanks in advance.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 1:58 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Parades are held nearby the Colosseum/Forum - that's why its hours are affected.

This is why I suggested to you in your other thread that you should schedule your visit to the Colosseum on another day. Or just could go in the afternoon.

Here's a piece about this past year's celebration you might find of interest:
http://www.nileguide.com/destination...italian-style/
Old Sep 1, 2011, 2:03 pm
sk3
Suspended

And here's another piece:
http://www.buzzinrome.com/2011/05/31...and-much-more/
Old Sep 1, 2011, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

As long as I can go in the afternoon it is fine. I just did not want to lose a whole day of visiting special places because of the holiday. Thus we will join in the celebration and then go sightseeing. thanks
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:06 pm
sk3
Suspended

Originally Posted by ontheway
As long as I can go in the afternoon it is fine. I just did not want to lose a whole day of visiting special places because of the holiday. Thus we will join in the celebration and then go sightseeing. thanks
I'm just a tourist like you. Wanted to throw this caveat out there, since my above statement comes across too authoritarian. I'm in no way certain what plans the Italian capital has for their 2012 celebrations - maybe access to the Colosseo/Forum/Palatine will be effected in the afternoon too. I am merely assuming that afternoon access will be granted based on recent years and I should have stated it that way initially. (That's why if this was my 3 day trip with the goals of seeing the Vatican and Colosseum, I'd plan my Vatican day for June 2, but I'm an err-on-the-side-of-caution type person).

Perhaps some of our Italian natives and expats in residence can chime in with more certainty than I have.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 2:42 am

Programs: IHG RA - PC Plat - SPG Plat - Hilton Diamond - Sixt Plat
Just to understand...are you referring to Republic day on 2nd June or Liberation day on 25th April?
With the proposed abolishion of bank-holidays next year, this is going to be a huge difference...
Old Sep 2, 2011, 3:01 am
sk3
Suspended

Originally Posted by Luca T.
Just to understand...are you referring to Republic day on 2nd June or Liberation day on 25th April?
With the proposed abolishion of bank-holidays next year, this is going to be a huge difference...
Hi Luca. ontheway is referring to the holiday on 2nd June.

So what's happening with this proposal? You think bank holidays might really be abolished?
Old Sep 2, 2011, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Since June 2 is a Saturday I had originally planned to do the Vatican on Friday, not as crowded, and do the Colosseum, Forum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps on Saturday.
Now, however, if the Vatican is open on the 2nd I may switch the itinerary. I will have to think about it. We arrive on Thursday, but I am assuming we will be exhausted and not want to do a lot then. So it's actually two and a half days we have in Rome.
None of this is a crisis as I am sure we will be able to do it all.
Originally I was making the Vatican a short day but my granddaughter now wants to do the gardens as well. We shall figure it all out.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 6:38 pm
sk3
Suspended

Since June 2 is a Saturday I had originally planned to do the Vatican on Friday, not as crowded..
The Vatican will be extremely crowded whenever you go.

Here's the link to its 2012 calendar where'll you see that it's not closed (chiuso) on June 2:
http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-In...dario2012.html

(The Vatican is a sovereign city-state. The Festa della Repubblica is an Italian holiday).

Regarding touring the gardens - in case you don't know already - the Vatican offers its own tour (I like that the price includes entrance to the Museums and Sistine Chapel). Here's a cut and paste of its description:
VATICAN GARDENS

Full price ticket: 31,00 Euro. Reduced ticket: 24,00 Euro. Admission Ticket included.

A tour of the Vatican Garden is unique, as it takes the visitor through 2000 years of history. Besides the natural beauty of the gardens, the Vatican City is rich in monuments and precious works of art. Duration of the tour is about 2 hours.

The ticket also enables the visitors to continue, on their own, a tour of the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel.
Here's the link:
http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/...action=booking

Last edited by sk3; Sep 2, 2011 at 6:45 pm
Old Sep 2, 2011, 7:07 pm
sk3
Suspended

...and do the Colosseum, Forum, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps on Saturday...So it's actually two and a half days we have in Rome...
I know you'll be very pressed for time and a visit to the Bocca della Veritŕ and the nearby Republican temples - not to mention the Area Sacra Argentina where Julius Caesar was assassinated - will probably be too much for your visit, but you really must include a walk past the Pantheon, the Campidoglio and Piazza Navona. IMO of course!
Old Oct 22, 2011, 11:21 pm

Programs: Too many
I was there this year on the same holiday. Most of the tourist places were open from 12 onwards however the Vatican was closed as well as all retail shops, banks, etc
No prob with transport at all
Old Nov 4, 2011, 5:38 pm

schools, government offices are closed. the military parade takes place in the morning in the Colosseum area, and that's why the Roman forum and the Colosseum are closed in the morning.
Vatican Museums are open as usual since June 2 is an Italian national holiday. the Vatican is a separate state, no holiday for them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.