Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Genoa - and region in August

Old Apr 25, 2007, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM

OK - i'd never go to the med coast last 2 weeks of august but have to this year. not having been in a long time - any suggestions about anything near water, or genoa, or faded glory hotels or great places to stay from there to cinque terre for a week? Mille grazie!
Old Apr 26, 2007, 8:29 am

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, Delta Base, AA Base
I took a cruise out of Genoa 2 years back and I didn't see too much that interested me there. But, several years back I was also in the region and found that Santa Margherita Ligure, about 30 miles away, was a nice area.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...gherita+Ligure
OR google it.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Stayed in Genoa for one night on a pan-European trip a few summers ago. Personally I didn't care for the city that much (relative to other Italian cities it was pretty low on the list), but to be honest I may not have been there long enough to give it a fair chance. We stayed at the Starhotel President, and I would not recommend it as it was terrible service and they overcharged.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
OK - i'd never go to the med coast last 2 weeks of august but have to this year. not having been in a long time - any suggestions about anything near water, or genoa, or faded glory hotels or great places to stay from there to cinque terre for a week? Mille grazie!
Has anyone stayed at this Holiday Inn?

I will be in genoa for one (Saturday) night; arriving lunchtime Saturday, leaving lunchtime Sunday.

Hoping to have a walk around town, maybe see the museum of Modern Art, and then back to this hotel late evening.

Is it well located for such a trip?

PS is there a train/coach from the airport to the City Centre?
Old Oct 31, 2011, 3:31 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Liguria is a wonderful region, and the coast south east of Genoa - Riviera di Levante (“the coast of the rising sun”) - is stunning.

August is really not the best time to go as the area will be packed to the gills - mainly with holidaymakers from Lombardy and Piedmont; and accommodation will be relatively costly wherever you go.

By the way, Italians would normally say: "Grazie mille!"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.