Reload this Page >

New Rome City Tax on Tourists - Jan 1, 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Rome City Tax on Tourists - Jan 1, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Hotel Indigo added the tax to my bill (just one dinner on the night of arrival, since it was an award stay) and charged my card upon check-out last month.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Many Airbnb listings state that they will be collecting this tax upon check-in, and they only accept cash. Any recent experiences? Did you have to bring exact change? Could you use a credit card?
Old Apr 13, 2023, 8:33 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Many Airbnb listings state that they will be collecting this tax upon check-in, and they only accept cash. Any recent experiences? Did you have to bring exact change? Could you use a credit card?
the reason that some smaller operations insist on payment in cash for this local tax is that they would otherwise have to pay the Card Processor fees on this, effectively costing them money to collect this tax on behalf of the local council. Similarly, some government based system will charge a fee for card processing when paying taxes and fee online.

larger hotel chain may just absorb this cost as part of the cost to serve/operational cost and/or negotiate nil rate on the portion of the charge processed equivalent to the tax (this would require some semi complex data sharing from the hotel invoicing system).
Old Apr 13, 2023, 9:02 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
When I've stayed at Airbnbs I have never met the owners, always got the key from some safe and put it back there when leaving... so not sure how it's meant to work here, would the owner have to show up and collect the cash?

If they are individuals they aren't going to have a card reader, and even if they did they won't want to pay the 3-5% merchant fee on foreign cards when they have to remit the full amount of the tax to the government. If they are going to show up and collect the cash I'm sure they will have a solution for change.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by :D!
When I've stayed at Airbnbs I have never met the owners, always got the key from some safe and put it back there when leaving... so not sure how it's meant to work here, would the owner have to show up and collect the cash?

If they are individuals they aren't going to have a card reader, and even if they did they won't want to pay the 3-5% merchant fee on foreign cards when they have to remit the full amount of the tax to the government. If they are going to show up and collect the cash I'm sure they will have a solution for change.
Not Rome, but in Switzerland, they had us leave the cash in an envelope in the apartment at the end of the stay. Not sure what would have happened if we didn't or didn't have an exact amount.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
New data point: my Airbnb did not state that, nor was I ever asked to pay for the tax. I withdrew some Euros from an ATM just in case, and fortunately I was able to spend it all before leaving.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.