Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Milan to MXP transportation options

Old Feb 25, 2010, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, American

I have a flight departing MXP at 7:15 AM to Heathrow connecting to LAX. There is a train from Milano Cadorna, first train departs at 4:30 and arrive at 5:06. And there is a bus from Milano Centrale to MXp as well first bus arrive at 5:05. Do I have enough time to catch the 7:15 flight and is the train or the bus a better choice? Also I have 2 hrs in Heathrow to make a connection from the Lufthansa flight to LHR and the United flight to LAX?
Much thanks for any recommendation.
Ken
Old Feb 25, 2010, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
90 minutes to checkin at MXP is more than enough time. Even if security looks jam-packed there (which it can get at times), security processing for non-U.S. flights is very fast. If you have access to priority check in, I'd say getting than 60-75 minutes in advance of the flight is enough (though do allow for hiccups in transportation) so arriving at 6 is enough time.

Bus is cheaper than train, and if you are staying near the main rail station the night before departure, bus is more convenient. Commuter traffic is also the other way so less lightly to get stuck in traffic.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.14912/908; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

Have you selected your pre-flight hotel yet? If you want to stay in the city, Le Meridien Gallia is right across the street from the Central Station (bus), while the Hilton is just a couple oF short blocks further away.

Another option is to stay at one of the hotels adjacent to MXP itself.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
deleted
Old Feb 26, 2010, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kestasx
I have a flight departing MXP at 7:15 AM to Heathrow connecting to LAX. There is a train from Milano Cadorna, first train departs at 4:30 and arrive at 5:06. And there is a bus from Milano Centrale to MXp as well first bus arrive at 5:05. Do I have enough time to catch the 7:15 flight and is the train or the bus a better choice? Also I have 2 hrs in Heathrow to make a connection from the Lufthansa flight to LHR and the United flight to LAX?
Much thanks for any recommendation.
Ken
I find MXP actually much easier/faster first thing in the am than say at 10/11 am. Getting there at 5 will provide you more than enough time.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 9:52 am

Does anyone know how much a taxi is?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:19 pm

Programs: Lufthansa Silver, Qatar Silver,FA Alitalia, British Airways gold
The taxi fare is a crazy 85 euro, fixed price, from anywhere in Milan to Malpensa!
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Couple more questions. We have a connection in LHR to United flight to LAX. Is 2 hrs enough for the connection? Do I clear US security in Milan or Heathrow?
Thanks
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. We are thinking of staying in town. Is there an inexpensive hotel near the Central Station, or as another option near MXP? What aboutan early checkout and a ride to MXP? Our flight is at 7 AM
Thanks
Old Feb 28, 2010, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the info. Couple more questions. We have a connection in LHR to United flight to LAX. Is 2 hrs enough for the connection? Do I clear US security in Milan or Heathrow?
Thanks
You will need to go through security in both. As for whether or not that's a suitable connection time at LHR, better to ask this question on the United board . . .
Old Feb 28, 2010, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. We are thinking of staying in town. Is there an inexpensive hotel near the Central Station, or as another option near MXP? What aboutan early checkout and a ride to MXP? Our flight is at 7 AM
Thanks

It is clear from your first post, that you are familiar with the two most common ways to get from Milan to the airport: the Cadorna train and the Malpensa bus from Centrale. Thus, I'm not sure what you mean by an "early check out and a ride" Train, bus, and taxi are your three options.

As for inexpensive: what does that translate to in either EU or US $.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Hi early checkout from hotel and ride to either Cardona or Centrale for 5 AM arrival in MXP. The "inexpensive" hotel I would say for us is 100-150 euro. Simple is good for us. We will be traveling light with one med size suitcase each.
Thanks
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:14 pm
B1

Hi early checkout from hotel and ride to either Cardona or Centrale for 5 AM arrival in MXP. The "inexpensive" hotel I would say for us is 100-150 euro. Simple is good for us. We will be traveling light with one med size suitcase each.
Thanks
We stayed at the NH Milano Touring (we got it on a 4* bid on Priceline but the NH Hotels website also has good rates). There are taxis at all hours summoned by the desk. The price for the taxi at 4 am was 10 Euros, during daylight it was 5 euros and the ride is five minutes. The buses from Centrale are the way to go. They fill up so get there ahead - they send more buses as each fills but then you wait. You can walk to Centrale in about 30 minutes but it isn't worth it at the early hours. The NH Milano is near restaurants and shopping.

Last edited by B1; Mar 1, 2010 at 1:25 pm
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:18 pm

Thanks for the answer about the Malpensa taxi expense- That's MORE than the cost of our flight to CDG. We could leave from Linate. Anyone know taxi cost of some easy way to get there?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ente_09
Thanks for the answer about the Malpensa taxi expense- That's MORE than the cost of our flight to CDG. We could leave from Linate. Anyone know taxi cost of some easy way to get there?
Why must you take a taxi rather than public transportation? There are easy to use & inexpensive shuttle buses and an express train that will get you to MXP just as quickly (the train perhaps faster- depending on traffic) than a taxi.

Last edited by bdemaria; Mar 1, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.