Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Italy
Reload this Page >

Milan to MXP transportation options

Milan to MXP transportation options

Old Mar 1, 2010, 1:26 pm
B1

Originally Posted by ente_09
Thanks for the answer about the Malpensa taxi expense- That's MORE than the cost of our flight to CDG. We could leave from Linate. Anyone know taxi cost of some easy way to get there?
There is also a shuttle bus from Centrale to Linate. Look it up on the Malpensa shuttle web site. Linate is much closer to central Milan. Taxis are cheaper than Malpensa but not needed.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:30 pm

For an early flight from Malpensa there is a small town called Somma Lombardo nearby with some hotels. You can arrive to this town via a train, walk to your hotel, spend the evening, then get a hotel shuttle to the airport in the morning.

The particular hotel I stayed in has some really bad reviews over on tripadvisor so I won't mention the name but it was fine with me.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 12:10 pm

Does anyone know if Milano Cadorna station has a left luggage facility? It would be much more convenient for me than Milano Centrale
Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:07 pm
B1

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
Does anyone know if Milano Cadorna station has a left luggage facility? It would be much more convenient for me than Milano Centrale
"For all the information ..,
LeNORD customers can call +39 02 85114382"
http://www.lenord.it/en/assistenza_c...za_clienti.php
P.le Cadorna, 14
20123 Milan (MI)
Italy
Old Nov 3, 2010, 8:38 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
It does, but it was closed on the Wednesday when we arrived there in early October. I don't know why it was closed, and I don't know whether it was a temporary or permanent closure.

We instead took the Metro to Centrale, dropped our luggage there, and then returned on the Metro. That took us around 45 minutes, I think.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:38 am

Thanks - appreciate the replies.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:44 pm

I was so sure the Malpensa Express went to Centrale Station but read somethings today that the Express train goes to Cardona (?) station, not Centrale Station. I looked at the Trenitalia site and it does say Centrale Station. Quite confused! Any help would be appreciated!

We are staying at the Hilton in Milan because I thought it being near Centrale Station, it would be convenient for when we arrive into Milan and when we depart from Milan, via train, to Rome.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
The Malpensa Express runs on two different routes from the airport: one goes to Centrale and the other to Cadorna. (Up until a couple of years ago, there was only the service to Cadorna). You can check the timetables at http://www.malpensaexpress.it/en/index.php .
Old Oct 9, 2016, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
There seem to be three bus operators between Malpensa and Milano Centrale. Are any of them better than the other, or more dependable? They all seem to charge the same price. If you buy a round trip, how long is it valid for normally? I fancy going with Terravision, simply because their booking process is easy and clear to follow.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Concerto
There seem to be three bus operators between Malpensa and Milano Centrale. Are any of them better than the other, or more dependable? They all seem to charge the same price. If you buy a round trip, how long is it valid for normally? I fancy going with Terravision, simply because their booking process is easy and clear to follow.
They are all the same. The ticket is 10 euros, 16 round trip. I don't think it's worth it because then you're stuck with that particularly company. I usually just go to whatever bus is leaving next, rather than have to wait for 20 minutes which is how long each particular bus company leaves. Just ask when the next bus is, and pay as you get on board. That's also why you many not want to buy the tickets from any particular vendor in the terminal. Without knowing it you may be buying from a company with a bus that you just missed and have to wait for the next one. Keep in mind that if you are going during rush hour, the bus ride can take pretty long. In such cases the train is an option.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Perche, good advice as always. If ever you're in Como, check out the Panino Buono. I'm no sandwich or panino freak, but this must be one of the best I've ever encountered. OT but I was able to wander around the lovely theatre in Como, because the technicians left the doors open while doing a stage installation. There are paintings on the ceiling and traditional boxes. Do you happen to know, is that a guest theatre (théâtre d'accueil in French) which invites productions in rather than creating their own?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
I think there is an 8 Euro promo rate but in any event I am with Perche on this and always take the next bus to leave. I think they only take cash.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Malpensa airport is a real bugbear, especially now that Linate is closed. I usually avoid MXP and try to fly from LIN as much as possible. To get to and from MXP is a pain but I normally use one of the various bus services and have found them fine (the train is too overpriced). However, to points north and west MXP is a major PITA. To get to Switzerland there is a bus service to Domodossola, where one is already on to the Swiss train network and can count on better punctuality (although I have found the slower regional trains in Italy fine, it's the IC trains that get delayed). That is a relatively hefty 15 Euros compared to the train, per direction, per person.

The issue is, there is a train service from Malpensa on which one can connect at Busto Arsizio and get the regional up to Domo, which works fairly conveniently in both directions. Problem is, I can't ticket it at all. For a while, Trainline was pricing it up, but then it just disappeared (not much convinced by Trainline anyway). It seems it is impossible to price the section from Malpensa airport to Busto Arsizio, which makes it impossible to create a through ticket. Why??? But it is easy enoiugh to buy a ticket from Busto to Domo and vv. What would the segment from Malpensa to Busto cost? If it's some stupid price, as I suspect, then I won't bother with it and just take the bus option.

The whole thing annoys me somewhat, so I might just take the shuttle to the Hilton Garden Inn in Somma Lombarda, then walk 12 minutes or so down to the little station in Somma and pick up the train to Domo there. That's by far the cheapest way, but it's not strictly on the line and walking away from the shuttle in the opposite direction to the hotel could be tricky!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:29 pm

Simply use the good old Trenitalia.com site. From Malpensa aeroporto to Domodossola yields 11 daily connections via Busto Arsizio for 8.90 € one way. Make sure to click on Regionali, otherwise you'll only get two connections for a lot of money...

Malpensa to Busto will yield lots of trains for 4,00 €, again make sure you click on Regionali!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:46 pm

I'm not sure if you're saying you want to buy the train tickets in advance; there's no reason to do so on Regionali. The train from MXP to Busto Arsizio may be operated by Trenord, and on to Domodossola on Trenitalia; you may need to buy the tickets for the two segments at different kiosks at the airport station. But you can try it at the Trenitalia kiosk first, making sure they connect you where you want instead of taking you into Milan.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.