Points and Cash: New reward nights options Master Thread [merged]

Old Jun 6, 2009, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Points and Cash: New reward nights options Master Thread [merged]

Haven't noticed this before and didn't see a topic on the first page already about it.

You can use points to book a reward night, or smaller amounts of points + cash. Might come in handy for people who don't have enough points to book an extended stay on points only.

Here's 2 examples:

15,000 property
Option 1: Use points for the entire stay
Option 2: Use 10,000 points a night + $30 a night
Option 3: Use 5,000 points a night + $60 a night

25,000 property
Option 1: Use points for the entire stay
Option 2: Use 20,000 points a night + $30 a night
Option 3: Use 15,000 points a night + $60 a night
Old Jun 6, 2009, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I see the same thing when checking one today.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 4:39 pm

Programs: It's better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all
Good spot although the currency seems to be a few thousand miles off. Wonder if/when they'll load sterling onto the system?
Old Jun 6, 2009, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jonobigblind
Good spot although the currency seems to be a few thousand miles off. Wonder if/when they'll load sterling onto the system?
Not sure whether it would make much difference in the prices to me if it was quoted in s (or indeed any local currency) - apart from the obvious fluctuation in exchange rate.

$30 per 5000 points looks like an interesting option & as the $ appears to be a little weaker recently - It's an even better deal.^
Old Jun 6, 2009, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
So this is basically to mimick SPG's cash + points.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 9:46 pm
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Same with ICs

I noticed this when booking the IC Baltimore:

40k - All points
35k + $30
30k + $60

Keeping the same 5k points for $30....an interesting options for sure. ^
Old Jun 6, 2009, 11:06 pm

So basically we're able to buy 5k or 10k PC pts per award redemption at 0.6 cents apiece rather than 1.0 (or is it 1.1) cents apiece? Hmmm, that's a tough call there!!! What to do?!?!? SPG Cash & Points is ALWAYS the best way to go IMHO. This PC C&P is a close call though IMHO..............................I think I might hafta buy the pts at 0.6 cents apiece...........^
Old Jun 7, 2009, 1:31 am

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
So since this is, in essence, a points purchase, do these purchased points count towards elite status?

Jeff
Old Jun 7, 2009, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by jswong
So since this is, in essence, a points purchase, do these purchased points count towards elite status?

Jeff
Isn't this offer more that you are paying for using fewer points per reward night rather than adding to your total. You'll have had to amass some points first which will have contributed to your overall elite status.

SamsoniteBoy don't get me wrong, as long as the dollar is heading in this direction I'm happier I just don't know why they aren't being consistent with the cash reservations that I make in pounds.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 1:50 am

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
The screenshot on this blog http://www.mythoughtsonthings.com/ar...rd-redemptions suggests this is a points purchase

Jeff
Old Jun 7, 2009, 2:07 am

You're not buying the points in the usual sense.

If I had 40,000 points and wanted to stay in IC London, I have a few options:
1. Pay cash at something like 170 per night (don't correct me on the price, it's just an example). Leaving me with 40,000 balance.
2. Use all 40,000 points for a reward night leaving me with zero balance.
3. Use 30,000 points and pay $60 instead of the other 10,000 points. Leaving me with 10,000 points towards another night somewhere.

In non of these situations will I actually receive miles from IHG. Rather than buy 10,000 points for 1.1 cent each and use them with the 30,000 in option 3, I'm paying 0.6 cents each for them to add the on my behalf.

Think this makes sense, difficult to re-read as posting from my iPhone.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 2:25 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Wink Are they qualifying rates?

So, now that we know you are essentially buying half price points and using them towards the stay the new question should be: @:-)

Do these stays count towards your Qualifying Nights? I'm not familiar enough with the SPG program to know if they count those as qualifying stays / nights.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 2:45 am

As these are still classed as reward nights I would say no, they don't count towards qualifying nights.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Essentially this is a cheaper way of buying points as when you make a booking the points purchase is non-refundable yet the reservation can be cancelled. So therefore you should keep all the points - which should therefore could towards status.
  • 10,000 points via booking reward night and cancelling = US$60
  • Or buy points directly $12.50x10 = US$125.00

Which makes buying points directly somewhat redundant...
Old Jun 7, 2009, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
So do does one earn points and a stay credit on the monetary spend part? Is this year round or just select periods? I have always liked this aspect of the SPG program, but one doesn't earn stay credits or points (other than on other expenditures) and it is only available at certain properties during certain time periods..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.