Wiki Posts
Search

ICG in New Orleans recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2009, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA and SPG are the two primary ones these days
ICG in New Orleans recommendations?

I'm looking for a hotel in New Orleans (downtown/French Quarter area) for myself and a friend the night of Friday, April 10, 2009. Luxury is not at all an issue - we'll be getting in late and leaving fairly early the next morning - it's basically just a crash space for a few hours after going out in the French Quarter. So I don't want to spend any more than is necessary for cleanliness, etc., and some points...

I have accounts with Priority Club, Marriott, and Starwood (Gold), but it seems like ICG has the most reasonable rates for that time. The HIExpress on Carondelet is currently at $76 basic rate or $95 for the "plus 3,000 points" deal (are those kinds of things generally worth it?), which seems like a good deal for a basic, known quantity - anyone ever stayed here and have anything good/bad to report? How about any of the other properties (there seem to be at least three Holiday Inns, an IC, and a CP downtown)?

We'll also need parking...

Thanks,
MWG
Old Jan 13, 2009, 10:36 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by mwg25
I'm looking for a hotel in New Orleans (downtown/French Quarter area) for myself and a friend the night of Friday, April 10, 2009. Luxury is not at all an issue - we'll be getting in late and leaving fairly early the next morning - it's basically just a crash space for a few hours after going out in the French Quarter. So I don't want to spend any more than is necessary for cleanliness, etc., and some points...

I have accounts with Priority Club, Marriott, and Starwood (Gold), but it seems like ICG has the most reasonable rates for that time. The HIExpress on Carondelet is currently at $76 basic rate or $95 for the "plus 3,000 points" deal (are those kinds of things generally worth it?), which seems like a good deal for a basic, known quantity - anyone ever stayed here and have anything good/bad to report? How about any of the other properties (there seem to be at least three Holiday Inns, an IC, and a CP downtown)?

Thanks,
MWG
The HIX Carondelet was acceptable when we stayed there Jan 1st for one night. However, we would probably not stay there again, but only because the IC New Orleans is so much better and since luxury does matter to us!

We overheard some people in the lobby complaining about the parking (we did not have a car). Apparently, the hotel was only allowing guests with reservations of 2 nights or more to use the hotel's garage. This could have been due to the 100% occupancy for the Sugarl Bowl, so this may not always be the rule. I recommend calling the hotel for further information regarding parking.

The Crown Plaza looked nice from the outside, but we would never stay there due to its location on Bourbon Street. I imagine that it could be difficult to sleep at this hotel before 4 AM.

Last edited by The Mileage Millionaire; Jan 13, 2009 at 10:42 pm
Old Jan 14, 2009, 5:12 am

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
Originally Posted by mwg25

Thanks,
MWG
i stayed there a year or 2 ago
i was very happy with what i apaid and what i got
hotel gave a free upgrade to a corner room

dont know about parking
if you are getting in late and leaving early you can park on the street

when i have had a car in NO on weekdays
i'd park in it the $8 daily surface lot down the street until 5-6 pm when downtown parking restrictions are over
Old Jan 14, 2009, 9:54 am

Programs: IC - Plat Ambassador, HH - G, AA - G, VS -G RJ - S, EK
The Crown Plaza looked nice from the outside, but we would never stay there due to its location on Bourbon Street. I imagine that it could be difficult to sleep at this hotel before 4 AM.[/QUOTE]

Have to say in fairness to the CP ("Astor") I have stayed there several times and never noticed any excessive noise. It's at the very top of Bourbon Street so reasonably distanced from the noisier bars.
Although I personally nowdays stay at the IC (still spitting distance of the Quarter) the beauty of the Astor is it's location and it is very difficult to loose even after a few "Hurricanes" at the famous Pat O'Brians bar.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 9:17 pm

Programs: AC E, PC Plat Amb
IC or CP

I am going first week of January purely to visit French Quarter not for a convention of gambling.

I was able to get better price for IC so I am leaning towards IC but would like to get your comments.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 7:54 am

I C is spitting distance to the quarter anyway. CP Astor is nice but when I was last there a year ago it was very tired.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Ic is a comfortable hotel, with friendly service and nice suite
But the view may be ugly and the atmosphere is rather soulless.
Nice outdoor pool.
(Mind that club lounge was opened only for breakfast when I stayed at this property).

CP Astor is a charming property, perfectly located in the very centre of New Orleans. Decoration of the rooms - of reasonable size - are a bit dated but perfectly maintained. Club lounge, lobby and pool are pleasant.

The Roosevelt (W=A Collection), recently opened, is also an excellent choice.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 4:21 pm

Any recent experiences with these 4 hotels?
noise/thin walls, upgrades, parking and internet charges etc.

CROWNE PLAZA NEW ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER
739 CANAL STREET @ BOURBON Hotel renovated in 2009
seems like they charge $32 for valet parking, anywhere else you can park nearby? and $10 for internet?

HI NEW ORLEANS-FRENCH QUARTER
124 ROYAL STREET

HI NEW ORLEANS-CHATEAU LEMOYNE
301 RUE DAUPHINE-FRENCH QUARTER Hotel renovated in 2009

HI Express NEW ORLEANS-FRENCH QTR/DWTN
221 CARONDELET STREET

lots of old comments here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...arter-msy.html
Old Oct 27, 2010, 7:46 am

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
Any recent experiences with these 4 hotels?
noise/thin walls, upgrades, parking and internet charges etc.

CROWNE PLAZA NEW ORLEANS FRENCH QUARTER
739 CANAL STREET @ BOURBON Hotel renovated in 2009
seems like they charge $32 for valet parking, anywhere else you can park nearby? and $10 for internet?

HI NEW ORLEANS-FRENCH QUARTER
124 ROYAL STREET

HI NEW ORLEANS-CHATEAU LEMOYNE
301 RUE DAUPHINE-FRENCH QUARTER Hotel renovated in 2009

HI Express NEW ORLEANS-FRENCH QTR/DWTN
221 CARONDELET STREET

lots of old comments here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...arter-msy.html
I stay usually 1-2 times a year at Chateau LeMoyne. I like it, it's quirky, full of character. I've never had a specific upgrade per se (though we always are assigned a room at the back of the property, which I guess is technically better, as they're quieter).

Can't recall parking or internet charges, sorry. I do recall their elevators can be slow.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter
I stay usually 1-2 times a year at Chateau LeMoyne. I like it, it's quirky, full of character. I've never had a specific upgrade per se (though we always are assigned a room at the back of the property, which I guess is technically better, as they're quieter).

Can't recall parking or internet charges, sorry. I do recall their elevators can be slow.
they do have a pacakage deal which sounds pretty good:
HEART TO HEART
PACKAGE TO INCLUDE UPGRADE TO SUITE OR BALCONY BASED UPON AVAILABILITY FREE PARKING and BREAKFAST FOR TWO EACH MORNING
$135.95
Old Oct 28, 2010, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
IC is a solid business hotel with friendly staff, pleasant rooftop outdoor pool, quite central location, large suite (a bit dated) small club lounge. But it terribly lacks atmosphere (it could be any business hotel in the world).

Crowne Plaza is in more living place. Quite nice rooms, elegant lobby, pleasant club lounge. Did not get any issue with noise (was on top floor).
Old Oct 28, 2010, 6:14 pm

I stayed both IC and CP 2 months ago, I really prefer to stay CP next time
Old Oct 29, 2010, 2:49 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
I'd stay at CP because it's on Bourbon street.

I've stayed there twice, and could hear nothing of what goes on outside and that's not just because of the alcohol).
Old Oct 29, 2010, 6:08 am

Upgrades at CP?

Does anyone have experience of this? i.e. does it happen often or rarely?
Old Oct 29, 2010, 3:26 pm

Hve always received upgrade at CP New Orleans and the IC New Orleans. come to that. The CP is right in the heart of everything (and as previous persons post I voncur there is no noise in the rooms) that said the IC is a short and safe walk away. My experinece is that a nice e-mail direct to the hotel is better than taking it for granted that you will get an upgrade

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.