Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Pointbreak reservation cancelled by hotel and email sent asking for £1500

Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG

In October I booked an 11 night Pointbreak stay over Christmas and new year at a hotel in the north of England.

Last week I noticed that the reservation could not be viewed online, also the points had been recredited to my account.

I emailed the hotel manager and received a reply telling me that I must pay £1500 for the stay. I was stunned.

I spoke with a telephone agent from PC and after investigating she confirmed that the hotel had cancelled the booking and refunded the points, however she telephoned the hotel in question and 'gently informed them' that they must honour the original booking and send me a new email.

This was 3 days ago and the hotel has still not emailed me or taken any points.

I intend to check in as normal and hopefully there will not be any fireworks.

I will update you if I have any problems.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I would certainly document every PC person I talked with, in case you have problems with checking in. This does sound rather sleazy on the part of the hotel you booked.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I would certainly document every PC person I talked with, in case you have problems with checking in. This does sound rather sleazy on the part of the hotel you booked.
A very good point. I have the agents name, time of the call and also a case number so that I can refer to our telephone conversation if necessary.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:46 am

"paper" trail

I think I would contact PC again and get a confirmation email (i.e. that the hotel must honour the reservation) from them. And I'd print it and take it along with me.

/dnastudios
Old Dec 22, 2008, 10:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
WOW! Totally unreal that this has happened to you. I wonder which hotel it was that has done this, particularly at this time of year. At least PC is on your side in regards this issue.

I hope you get it sorted out but please do keep us all informed.

Regards
J
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:00 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Even if the award booking could be reinstated, I would personally be worried about spending 11 days at a property that displays such a low level of customer service.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:19 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
Originally Posted by midnight
I intend to check in as normal and hopefully there will not be any fireworks.
Might be a good idea to have a backup plan. While it might be tough to find something less expensive this close to the holiday season, it would still be better than finding yourself turned away from the original hotel and not able to find another place to stay. I hope it all works out for you.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Looking at the recent PB list - I guess it could be one of these four.
- Holiday Inn Express BURNLEY
- Holiday Inn SHEFFIELD
- Staybridge Suites LIVERPOOL
- Crowne Plaza Hotel MANCHESTER CITY CENTRE

It would be worthwhile "outing them" for everyone's benefit - even it's if after your stay for this shoddy behaviour.

Hope all works out ok.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:36 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by JOUY31
Even if the award booking could be reinstated, I would personally be worried about spending 11 days at a property that displays such a low level of customer service.
Me too. But there may not be many options at such short notice at this time of the year.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:49 am
Original Poster

I had assumed that the hotel suffered a technical glitch with their computer and was prepared to forgive them, however I am surprised that they have not contacted me 3 days after this problem was brought to their attention.

I have sent a courtesy email to PC and asked them to confirm that my reservation will be honoured.
-------- ---------- --------

Radioman and Rupert_s are curious about which hotel it could be.....

It opened in April 2008 and is situated in a city with a famous red football team, plenty of musical connections, a high crime rate and many comedians.

Jimmy Tarbuck says that he knows people who go to this city each year just to visit their hubcaps.

Last edited by midnight; Dec 22, 2008 at 9:04 pm
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
I had asumed that the hotel suffered a technical glitch with their computer and was prepared to forgive them, however I am surprised that they have not contacted me 3 days after this problem was brought to their attention.

I have sent a courtesy email to PC and asked them to confirm that my reservation will be honoured.

It opened in April 2008 and is situated in a city with a famous red football team, plenty of musical connections, a high crime rate and many comedians.

Jimmy Tarbuck says that he knows people who go to this city each year just to visit their hub caps.
Newcastle?

Maybe someone stole the booking.....never mind the hubcaps ...
Old Dec 22, 2008, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Emerald Aisle Executive
I stayed at that property in September on pts for a couple of nights. Staff were great and location is good. Hope it all works out well for you.
I had asumed that the hotel suffered a technical glitch with their computer and was prepared to forgive them, however I am surprised that they have not contacted me 3 days after this problem was brought to their attention.

Jimmy Tarbuck says that he knows people who go to this city each year just to visit their hub caps.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Radioman
Newcastle?

Maybe someone stole the booking.....never mind the hubcaps ...
I googled ... and believe it's Liverpool.

Anyway, I hope that is has a Happy End for midnight. ^
BTW, I have used pointbreak several times and never had a problem. Pointbreak is a "gift from heaven".
Old Dec 22, 2008, 2:04 pm

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-F490-Vodafone/F490BUHB2 SHP/VPP/R5 NetFront/3.4 Qtv5.3 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.0 configuration/CLDC-1.1)

That will be the staybridge suites in liverpool then. A nice property and the staff were great when i was there a couple of months ago.
enjoy!
Old Dec 22, 2008, 3:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
In order to have your bases covered, I'd suggest making a full cancellable rez at a "backup" hotel - starting on the second night if you plan on checking into the SB in the evening. It will give you options if things go badly when you arrive.

I also recommend using an Amex when you check in at the SB (assuming that you are able to check in at all) - Amex have a good track record for taking the customer's side vs merchats in case of dispute. If they try to charge your amex when you check out - don't sign anything that might indicate your agreement to such a charge.

I'd also suggest arranging things so that you don't have your wife and kids (if applicable) hanging around in the lobby while you check in - handling a potentially awkward situation is often much easier to handle without such distractions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.