Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Just a random thought...why not include wifi and breakfast with top tier status??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just a random thought...why not include wifi and breakfast with top tier status??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by medic51vrf
Free Internet is a current benefit for RAs and in some (well, a few) places free breakfast is a benefit for Ambs and RAs. Not sure if this is a short term promo or if it's going to be permanent.

Regarding these for Amb, I'm not sure there's a good business case to be presented. Amb can only be purchased, not earned and, as such, isn't really a loyalty program per se. At an average rate of $30 for breakfast and $20 for internet (just guestimates) what good would it do for the business to sell you unlimited $50 values for $200 (or whatever Amb costs these days)?
I think I remember reading stories of certain people being offer Ambassador status...correct me if I am wrong...

Also, what you mention above isn't in writing in the Terms and conditions (correct me if i am wrong?) and seems more to be property specific..which isn't any good.

Marriott offers breakfast and wifi to their elite members...its in writing. Now take a look at their operating income and revenue compared to IHG...I couldnt seem to find 2012, just 2011.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriott_International

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InterCo...l_Hotels_Group

IHG has higher net income in 2011 yet Marriott gives out free wifi and breakfast...IHG can afford it.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by alrvd83
[...]

Marriott offers breakfast and wifi to their elite members...its in writing. Now take a look at their operating income and revenue compared to IHG...I couldnt seem to find 2012, just 2011.
[...]
I was about to switch stays to Marriott, starting today. After paid an in-depth visit to their T&Cs (breakfast and lounge only on weekdays, late check-out not guaranteed and other loopholes that makes one wonder) and this http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...num-challenge/
I decided to stick with IHG for the moment. Marriott seems even weaker than PC, not even considering RA benefits at ICs compared to JW-M or RCs.

Ambassador cannot be earned by qualification; by promos, or purchased with USD/points only.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
I was about to switch stays to Marriott, starting today. After paid an in-depth visit to their T&Cs (breakfast and lounge only on weekdays, late check-out not guaranteed and other loopholes that makes one wonder) and this http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...num-challenge/
I decided to stick with IHG for the moment. Marriott seems even weaker than PC, not even considering RA benefits at ICs compared to JW-M or RCs.

Ambassador cannot be earned by qualification; by promos, or purchased with USD/points only.
breakfast and lounge openings seems to vary by hotel. Also some hotels will give breakfast in the restaurant when the concierge lounge is closed. read below...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-weekends.html

also IHG doesnt even "guarantee" us in writing access to any type of lounge...am i mistaken?

late check out: never had a problem at several Marriott's ive stayed in...other chains such as courtyards, fairfield inn, residence inn (upgrade to larger suites)...even easier.

Also, i've been successful getting suite upgrades with Marriott while traveling on business (Marriott's and courtyards)...im talking executive suite at the renaissance charlotte type upgrade! IHG hardly ever does that...anyone have examples? Hilton wasn't too bad about it either...

This recent IHG point increase was a major disappointment...essentially, some holiday inns cost more than some marriotts to redeem...come on lol. And both chains accrue pts in the same fashion...10pts per $1.

For example THIS is plain rediculous...I chose a random date Friday April 19 - April 20th. I chose 2 hotels in a fairly same area, 1.5 miles apart in downtown LA, that both are 30k pts...here in LA.

Now which one would you stay at? lol a HIX or a JW marriott...ridiculous!

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...geles-la-live/

http://www.priorityclub.com/hotels/u...wd/hoteldetail

Having been Diamond for hilton for 4 yrs, PC Plat for about 2 and Marriott gold, which is essentially Platinum minus the 50% pt bonus, for almost a yr, Marriott has been the most consistent.

And back to my original point...no free breakfast nor wifi guaranteed...that overrules everything in my opinion. Although my company picks up the bill on business trips, it sure helps out to have those 2 things free when i redeem pts and go on vacation.

Also, I think it depends on the hotel, the guest, the scenario...I push pretty hard for upgrades, and requests. I am a consultant by trade, so my success with Marriott has been quite good.

Give Marriott a try...

Last edited by alrvd83; Jan 20, 2013 at 11:11 pm
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:51 pm

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
Breakfast for Ambs was (is) a special promo at certain properties, if you book online.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/interco...fers/breakfast
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:17 am

Thank you for the insight into Marriott Rewards.

I think you need to differenciate a little bit between ICs and the rest of IHG.

RA at ICs means
- Club or Suite as upgrade (some hotels give both), it also means "book club get a suite guaranteed"
- Free internet
- Guaranteed 8 am check-in, 4 pm check-out

Sidenote, there are plenty of RAs that see executive, deluxe suites regularily and presidential suites at some point. I am right now on my way to a 150 sqm suite and free club - for booking the cheapest rate. My Marriott alternative today (which I canceled) would have been club only.

PC Plat depends on the region you travel most to. For me it means
- Upgrade to next room category at an almost 100% rate, including club and suites
- Free internet (here in China, as well as in HIs in US/Canada anyway, afaik)

My stays are probably 3/4 at ICs, 1/4 at all other brands. A switch to Marriott would mean staying at JW-Ms and RCs (albeit I don't like them that much) most of the time. Currently, I do not see any reason to switch - despite the immense devaluations at IHG over the last one or two years, I fail to see the benefits or additional benefits of Marriott Rewards of IHG for my travel habits. But I am open for any suggestions and willing to venture on new paths if there are clear benefits added.

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Jan 21, 2013 at 12:22 am
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:52 am

Maybe I missed it, but I do not see anywhere in that thread where IHG care explains why free breakfast and wifi isnt offered..
In that post I was just quoting what she said, I thought the original post was in the same thread but I see that it is here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...l#post17357382
Originally Posted by IHG Care
Many IHG properties are franchised, independently owned and operated. In this case, the hotel management and ownership determine their own internet rate policies in accordance with local demand and business needs. IHG is not involved in the development of these individual hotel policies.

Brenda J.
IHGCare

Last edited by Hannibal Lecter; Jan 21, 2013 at 2:59 am
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I agree, breakfast and internet should be provided to RA's. I also made a point of this especially at the IC NY Times Sq, where as an RA or A all you get is your upgrade, fruit/cheese plate and water bottle, and there is no lounge.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
I agree, breakfast and internet should be provided to RA's. I also made a point of this especially at the IC NY Times Sq, where as an RA or A all you get is your upgrade, fruit/cheese plate and water bottle, and there is no lounge.
Internet is a RA benefit.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
Thank you for the insight into Marriott Rewards.

I think you need to differenciate a little bit between ICs and the rest of IHG.

RA at ICs means
- Club or Suite as upgrade (some hotels give both), it also means "book club get a suite guaranteed"
- Free internet
- Guaranteed 8 am check-in, 4 pm check-out

Sidenote, there are plenty of RAs that see executive, deluxe suites regularily and presidential suites at some point. I am right now on my way to a 150 sqm suite and free club - for booking the cheapest rate. My Marriott alternative today (which I canceled) would have been club only.

PC Plat depends on the region you travel most to. For me it means
- Upgrade to next room category at an almost 100% rate, including club and suites
- Free internet (here in China, as well as in HIs in US/Canada anyway, afaik)

My stays are probably 3/4 at ICs, 1/4 at all other brands. A switch to Marriott would mean staying at JW-Ms and RCs (albeit I don't like them that much) most of the time. Currently, I do not see any reason to switch - despite the immense devaluations at IHG over the last one or two years, I fail to see the benefits or additional benefits of Marriott Rewards of IHG for my travel habits. But I am open for any suggestions and willing to venture on new paths if there are clear benefits added.
Your points all well taken...I did find this link below further elaborating on the RA benefits.
http://loyaltylobby.com/2012/05/05/i...sador-status/#

So essentially, the only thing missing is free breakfast.

I can understand how you are reluctant to change. I averaged 195 nights per yr with Hilton and was a Diamond for 4 yrs...I was also hesitant to change, but I enjoyed my time with IHG and am enjoying it even more with Marriott.

Change is good and i just like the fact that Marriott at least puts it in writing..upgrade, breakfast (if lounge is closed usually you get breakfast in the restaurant) and free wifi.

Plus they have one rewards program...silver, gold, platinum and not club, gold platinum > then ambassador > royal ambassdor. just seems unnecessarily complex.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:26 am
Original Poster

I agree...i found this link below and supposedly, wifi is included as RA, but still no breakfast

http://loyaltylobby.com/2012/05/05/i...sador-status/#
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
In that post I was just quoting what she said, I thought the original post was in the same thread but I see that it is here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...l#post17357382
Thats understandable, but at least they could feed us some free breakfast lol. For all the money our companies spend on their hotels as we travel constantly
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:00 pm

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
Thats understandable, but at least they could feed us some free breakfast lol. For all the money our companies spend on their hotels as we travel constantly
The way I view it, it's a trade off. With the other brands I would get two guarantees:

1) Free breakfast
2) No free mini bar

With IHG I get this:

1) Free mini bar
2) Often free breakfast (via club lounge) but no guarantee
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by medic51vrf
The way I view it, it's a trade off. With the other brands I would get two guarantees:

1) Free breakfast
2) No free mini bar

With IHG I get this:

1) Free mini bar
2) Often free breakfast (via club lounge) but no guarantee
good point...mini bar is mainly good for alcohol (am i right?), and i try to cut back my drinking while on business so i am coherent in meetings

Most concierge lounges at Marriott have alcohol as well.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Let's just say, if I am paying about $300 per night at an IC(as a RA) that has no club lounge, and I am not an avid drinker(mini bar or not), then I would at least expect breakfast, come on how much can breakfast cost the hotel.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Let's just say, if I am paying about $300 per night at an IC(as a RA) that has no club lounge, and I am not an avid drinker(mini bar or not), then I would at least expect breakfast, come on how much can breakfast cost the hotel.
EXACTLY!!! Makes no sense...Hilton, Marriott and SPG seem to think differently then IHG.

it's breakfast...im sure hotels buy food in bulk for cheap..come on lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.