Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new Reward rates effective January 18 (Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2013, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
For reference- HH luckiest looser

http://www.ihgplc.com/index.asp?PageID=116&NewsID=2421

PCs excuse last year mentioned here;
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17737532-post41.html

List of hotels (probably pre 2012)
http://www.chonetsao.co.uk/iccensor.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...11-2012-a.html

This log has had lots on PC hotels
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyaltytraveler/

Last year deval thread;
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ry-2012-a.html

Last edited by travelkid; Jan 8, 2013 at 8:01 am
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:03 am
Suspended

Ding ding!

http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/01/08/p...ing/#more-4687
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
It's also worth noting that since during the last devaluation in 2012, additional properties were moved to higher points values. An example of this was the IC Willard, which went from 40K to 50K, so that a $300/night stay was a marginal value on points just became a lousy one.

Just because the number of hotels moving up and down might be the same on 18 January doesn't mean that further devaluations during the year are off the table.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by travelkid
FYI it is practically ready and only has some cleaning up to do.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by holtju2
FYI it is practically ready and only has some cleaning up to do.
^ Request mods or OP to include link in OP.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by loyaltylobby
Unlike Carlson, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott & Starwood, Priority Club has decided not to make list of properties moving up/down in award categories available on their website and we are going to fix this.
Not quite correct though, the site will show a list of properties that have gone up or down, but only after March 18th when the changes have actually happened.

Still, commendable effort all the same and will be very useful.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:45 am

Programs: Delta PM, IC Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by probertjjames
I am not sure this is a good thing. The only thing that keeps me using IHG is the points scheme was good - I even forget the last time I got a 2x offer...
The only thing that keeps me using IHG is all-inclusive hotels. I have more Marriott points than IHG points, but I don't know of an all-inclusive in the Marriott system.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by gmax58
It's also worth noting that since during the last devaluation in 2012, additional properties were moved to higher points values. An example of this was the IC Willard, which went from 40K to 50K, so that a $300/night stay was a marginal value on points just became a lousy one.
IC Monterey is 50K, with rates around $170 right now
which is beyond ridiculous.

But IC Berchtesgaden is 30K and I'm sure it will move up to 50K as well.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by jimthehorsegod
Not quite correct though, the site will show a list of properties that have gone up or down, but only after March 18th when the changes have actually happened.

Still, commendable effort all the same and will be very useful.
Nope. They will just update the hotel categories and will NOT provide a list of properties that have moved up/down.

We'll be updating hotels values on January 18th, and the values will be available in search on priorityclub.com, but we will not be providing a full list of the hotels. Keep in mind that you'll be able to book the old point value until March 18th.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
And its not that far fetched to involve consumer agencies or legal remedies. This has been done succesfully plenty of times against PC, loyalty programs etc. I would argue that if I had bought PC points recently, that their marketing was deceiptful.
What precisely would be the basis for a *legal* claim here?

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
This whole thread is somewhat surreal, PC have announced a move from brand specific redemptions to categorisation based redemptions. The word devaluation then fills the air and the lone voice of sanity, Mooper, rightly points out the blindingly obvious, we don't know as PC haven't published individual hotel categories yet. Thus commences the posts that will historically become known as "Moopers excoriation"

Like almost all of us, and I suspect that includes Mooper, I fully expect this change to lead to significant increases in redemption costs for some hotels climbing the category ladder that will not be statistically compensated by those hotels descending. But I think Moopers point is that with 30% of hotels going down in redemption requirements, there will be winners, namely those members redeeming for less. The average outcome may well be a statistical devaluation, but with 30% of hotels costing less, and my concentration on value, I may well personally find the opposite.

No one can call it till the categories are released in 10 days time, and "Moopers excoriation" won't change that...
Exactly. If I had to put money on it, I think net redemption costs will increase, too. But given that there will be both ups and downs, combined with the fact that redemptions are *dynamic* (we have choice to reallocate based upon new pricing), I suspect that a large swath of members will actually be able to use fewer points for equal or better properties. Will this result in a net benefit, given that the more sophisticated users, especially ones who focus on high-value international redemptions common here on FT, will likely wind up behind? I don't think so. But we need to wait and see. What we know with certainty is that it is absurd to proclaim definitive "devaluation" before actually running the numbers. People don't get that... they prefer mass-hysteria.

Originally Posted by jimthehorsegod
I think the points made against the likelihood of any reductions actually benefiting anyone is that they're likely to be on properties which are so cheap in cash, that points redemptions don't make any sense at all.
If a property that asked 20K or $130 in 2012 (making it more appealing by cash for most members) becomes 15K or $140 in 2013 (remember, paid rates tend to rise as well), many would stop paying cash and use points. This is just an example.

Originally Posted by gmax58
Just because the number of hotels moving up and down might be the same on 18 January doesn't mean that further devaluations during the year are off the table.
Correct, but by the same token, neither are changes to the cost of point acquisition or changes in paid rates. Both of those variables affect the value you can extract from points as well. For example, if IHG launches another promo where it is a breeze to accumulate 50K points free (as they've had in the past, but not the last couple of years), you should weigh that in the equation. Similarly, if hotel rates increase 15% during the year but point requirements (on average) increase 10%, you're actually getting more value on that basis as well.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 9:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mooper
What precisely would be the basis for a *legal* claim here?
Im not taking the bait for further off topic. Its clearly in any case not relevant for you as you have no wish of any such, presumably being happy about the situation.

Originally Posted by mooper
What we know with certainty is that it is absurd to proclaim definitive "devaluation" before actually running the numbers.
Reality check. What award level changes of any program do you know that have not been a devaluation? Not naming one tells tons.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Im not taking the bait for further off topic. Its clearly in any case not relevant for you as you have no wish of any such, presumably being happy about the situation.
I quoted you directly regarding "legal remedies". I'm curious what legal basis there might be for such action.

Reality check. What award level changes of any program do you know that have not been a devaluation? Not naming one tells tons.
Value, as exhaustively explained above, is not merely a matter of points required. For example, a room in a property in 2012 with a paid rate of $200 or 20K points is giving you a *greater* CPP value if it is 25K points or $260 in 2013. This holds true when price inflation outpaces points inflation. Also, the cost of acquisition of points matters. If I acquired 50K points in 2012 for .7 CPP and redeemed them for .9 CPP in value, I've ended up ahead. If in 2013 I acquire 50K points for .5 CPP and redeem them for .8 CPP in value, I've fared even better. Most hotels and airlines have inflated points required through the years (though there are many areas where they've remained remarkably flat), but many have done so at a pace that has *increased* the value extracted by members. You're looking at just the absolute point value and ignoring the rest of the equation.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:06 am

Last year, the phone reps were telling people that they only had ONE phone call in which to book at the old rates. You could do multiple reservations, but only within that one call. I though this was a terrible policy. Will it be the same this time?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by holtju2
Nope. They will just update the hotel categories and will NOT provide a list of properties that have moved up/down.
Indeed that seems to be their position even as they have a list of properties whose price they have decided to change as part of this devaluation of PC points. Priority Club's lack of willingness to share the list ought to invite question about the company's approach to its customers.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I redeem a lot of my points in the 15-25k band for weeknight stays or stays in rural areas, as when I start to get above 30k there's ususally a Hyatt, Hilton, or Starwood property there instead. If that band goes up even 5k, it's a significant devaluation - 20-33%.

After Luckiest Loser, I had moved a lot of my Hampton business to HIX both on price and on redemption opportunities, and I found that I liked many newer HIX and even some CP properties. With IHG's moves in the last four months, however, IHG is falling back to my #4 program.

I sincerely hope that most of my 15k properties will stay at 15k, since HIX and HI already had both 15k and 20k options. I have no doubt, however, that may of the 25k properties are going to become 30k or maybe even 35k.

I had bought the $200 Ambassador renewal in September because I was planning on doing about 160-200k of redemptions this year. That looks like a bad move now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.