Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Starting 2013.1.1, only qualifying points count towards elite status

Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Currently all points, stay points, bonus points, purchased points, voucher points, affiliated credit card spending points, etc, they all count towards elite status. And this is also one of the things that make PCR a good program.

Heard rumors that starting from 2013.1.1, only qualifying points count towards elite status. Qualifying points include only stay (base) points and affiliated credit card spending points, no others. This means that even those bonus stay points (from promos and registering codes) does not count any more. This also means that you cannot top up your points by buying them to maintain status.

A BIG change (for the worse) IMO.

EDIT 1: It's not really a "rumor" as it has been posted on official IHG website in Chinese. I consider it solid. It's just that I could't find the English version of the same page.

Original link is here: http://cn.ichotelsgroup.com/hotels/c...heroslot1_WP12

Translation kindly provided by a fellow FTer at #16 here.

EDIT 2: It's official now!

http://www.priorityclub.com/hotels/u...er-terms#elite

Points for Elite Status – For purposes of determining Elite Status, Priority Club points are classified as either Elite Qualifying Points or Non-Elite Qualifying Points. Base points earned from Qualifying Rates paid for hotel stays, points collected from partner transactions, PCR Bonus Points Packages and Meeting Rewards are considered Elite Qualifying Points and counted towards membership elite status. A Qualifying Rate includes the following: non-discounted rate, standard corporate rate, worldwide sales negotiated rate, national/regional/local government rate and specified leisure rates as confirmed by the IHG HOLIDEX Plus reservation system. All other point earning transactions, including promotional points, points vouchers, points purchase, points transfers, and points deposits, will be considered Non-Elite Qualifying Points and will not be counted towards elite status.

EDIT 3: I think it's worth to point out that the member benefits enhancements that some people have read over the internet are available in China only.

Read here: http://www.priorityclub.com/hotels/u...ers/pcr_basics

Worldwide members may enjoy a higher level of benefits at our hotels in Greater China.
And this is due to the huge market and competition in China and I see no reason it will be extended to worldwide any time soon.

Last edited by 513263337; Dec 6, 2012 at 5:15 pm
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Sounds quite logical.
Never understood why points tranferred from credit card could lead to Platinum status.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:42 pm
alc

I do agreed Plt is too easy to obtain (to some 1 or 2 stay in Jan and they are done) but I think if they are going to make this change, they need to make the benefits better as well.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Doesn't surprise me, but they'll either have to lower the threshold or up what's on offer.

I rarely get upgrades or lounge access anymore (as a Plat) and of my preferred hotels in London, the Crowne Plaza is slipping down the list as prices (to me) go up and the number of tour groups (presumably getting big discounts) increases, too.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted (and especially when it used to be good). Might try and recover my Hilton Gold card next year.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If it is true, then I wouldn't call it a change for the worse, but a logical change though at the moment it seems to be a rumour without substance
Old Dec 2, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
Can u give us insights on the "rumor" origin?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by olegator:19782906
Can u give us insights on the "rumor" origin?
It's not really a "rumor" as it has been posted on official IHG website in another language. I consider it solid. It's just that I could't find the English version of the same page.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Originally Posted by 513263337
Heard rumors that starting from 2013.1.1, only qualifying points count towards elite status. Qualifying points include only stay (base) points and affiliated credit card spending points, no others. This means that even those bonus stay points (from promos and registering codes) does not count any more. This also means that you cannot top up your points by buying them to maintain status.
This also means that you've offered no inkling as to the source of this rumor, yet you put it in the title of the post without a question mark, thereby making it appear to be confirmed. This rumor may in fact turn out to be true. However, until you can provide some indication as to how high up PC's corporate food chain this rumor was revealed to you, it remains just that: an unsubstantiated rumor. To be fair to the readers of the PC board, you might want to edit your title to at least add a question mark, or even better, the word "Rumor."
Old Dec 2, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
It's not really a "rumor" as it has been posted on official IHG website in another language. I consider it solid. It's just that I could't find the English version of the same page.
Can you post a link to the page, even if in another language, please?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by nicolas75
Never understood why points tranferred from credit card could lead to Platinum status.
Well, the UK credit card (99 fee version) now gives you Platinum status automatically anyway!
Old Dec 2, 2012, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If it is true, then I wouldn't call it a change for the worse, but a logical change though at the moment it seems to be a rumour without substance
+1
Old Dec 2, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: IHG
It will be nice to have a meaningful top tier status.

This would be a smart decision.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
There are people on this forum who speak "another language" or two. Or more. So just post the link, please.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Originally Posted by Raffles
Well, the UK credit card (99 fee version) now gives you Platinum status automatically anyway!
It doesn't seem to mention that on the card's website now. It now says "All points count towards status so you're well on the way to Platinum Elite status"
Old Dec 2, 2012, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by davidw70
It doesn't seem to mention that on the card's website now. It now says "All points count towards status so you're well on the way to Platinum Elite status"
They never updated the website. This came in a couple of months ago, it was explained on the statements and indeed my wifes account has been upgraded.

The UK free card gives Gold.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.