Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG lost Cologne and get Berlin and Düsseldorf back

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Angry IHG lost Cologne and get Berlin and Düsseldorf back

The Intercontinental Hotels Group (IHG) has to separate itself from three properties

For some time, there have been disputes between Intercontinental Hotels and the New Dorint GmbH, confirmed the spokesman for the New Dorint GmbH (...).

The Neue Dorint GmbH is already intensively negotiating with renowned international hotel groups for the franchise of the hotels.

The Neue Dorint GmbH based in Cologne operates under the brand Dorint Hotels & Resorts Europe 33 properties. Approximately 3,100 employees in Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland, the Czech Republic and Spain work for the group, which is the leading hotel chains in the German market.

Source: Hotel & Technlik (in german)
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
"If we cannot reach an agreement despite the best possible efforts, the InterContinental Hotels Group will no longer work with the New Dorint GmbH as business partners," said Jennifer Cox, COO Continental Europe at IHG.

The relationships with the property owners are still very good, "said Britta straws, GM of Intercontinental Cologne. The Berlin hotel is a Union Investment property (the lease runs until the end of 2015), the Cologne and Dusseldorf hotels belong to E & P Holding, the real estate funds of Dorint-owner

It is possible that, at the end of the poker game, the three hotels will continue under IC brands.

Source: Top Hotel (in German)
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:36 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Since this seems to be sad news, I will not merge this thread with the master thread, despite the fact there was already an announcement in the IC Düsseldorf master thread as well as the above mentioned thread about hotels leaving the IHG chain (Master thread).

We will consider to merge it into this thread on a later point (if they have left for sure, at least it seems, there is some hope this won't happen).

Feel free do discuss this in this matter in this thread

FLYGVA co-moderator IHG Forum
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The management contracts of the properties in Berlin, Cologne and Dusseldorf will end 1st April 2011.

The hotel opened in 1958 under the Hilton brand, and became the InterContinental Berlin in 1978.

Source: Hotel Blog (in German)
Old Jan 28, 2011, 7:42 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by nicolas75
The management contracts of the properties in Berlin, Cologne and Dusseldorf will end 1st April 2011.

The hotel opened in 1958 under the Hilton brand, and became the InterContinental Berlin in 1978.

Source: Hotel Blog (in German)
It was in facte the first Hilton Hotel in Germany before it became the IC Berlin. It was mentioned in the recent magazine about 50 year Hilton in Germany.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Wasn't there a Forum in Berlin a few decades ago? Think it was in the East facing Alexanderplatz. Sort of a sister property at the time (the 80s) to the Forum on the river in Budapest which is now the IC.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
At the time being IHG has terminated the management contract. However, Neue Dorint GmbH is not the owner of the real estate. I wonder, what Neue Dorint GmbH will do. All properties are owned by investment funds, two of these were initiated by an affiliate of Neue Dorint GmbH and at least one of the two is struggeling. The management contract with IC was the strong selling argument and this will certainly cause more problems for Neue Dorint (If the decision is final).
Old Jan 28, 2011, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by nicolas75
the Cologne and Dusseldorf hotels belong to E & P Holding, the real estate funds of Dorint-owner
This is wishful thinking. The real estate belongs to two GmbH & Co. KGs with hundreds of individual investors. Both, Neue Dorint GmbH and Ebertz are struggeling....
Old Jan 28, 2011, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Second bite of the cherry for Cologne and Dusseldorf for us former SCC members. Can credibility stretch to a third bite?

Originally Posted by Shareholder
Wasn't there a Forum in Berlin a few decades ago? Think it was in the East facing Alexanderplatz.
Yes, it was the former InterHotel Berlin/Hotel Stadt Berlin from DDR times and became the Forum on unification. It is now the Park Inn Berlin-Alexanderplatz. http://www.parkinn-berlin.de/news_vi...le_176-en.html
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:14 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum
Unhappy

This is really sad news!

Already booked my CTC nights at the end of April at the IC Berlin and had my RA benefits (upgrade, club access & minibar) confirmed.

Hopefully this will not affect my stay...

But where am I gonna stay in Berlin in future? Hopefully there will come a new IC soon....
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:22 am

Programs: IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, HHonors Gold, Air Berlin Topbonus Gold, Miles & More FT, SIXT Diamond
Originally Posted by Mr. LAU
This is really sad news!

Already booked my CTC nights at the end of April at the IC Berlin and had my RA benefits (upgrade, club access & minibar) confirmed.

But where am I gonna stay in Berlin in future? Hopefully there will come a new IC soon....
I don´t think, ICHG really risks to lose their 5* claims in Berlin and Cologne / Dusseldorf.
It won´t be easy to come back months or even years later with new properties.
I´m pretty sure they will stay within the chain, but maybe I´m too optimistic.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 6:26 am

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Mr. LAU
Hopefully this will not affect my stay....
It will affect your stay. You will not stay in an IC property and therefor no RA benefits.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
NOoooooooooooooooo first Stockholm and now Berlin and dusseldorf!! Not bothered about the cologne property, but I hope they save Berlin and dus as they are excellent properties.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:50 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Is it speculation that ra benefits will not be given after April 1st or does anyone have experience with other hotels.

Have 2 rooms booked for 3 nights arriving 8th April so bit worried. Not sure whether to move hotels...

What other hotels are comparable in price, have cheapish 2 room suites and a club lounge. I know only of hyatt, Hilton and ritz Carlton which have club lounges.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You have zero chance of RA benefits being honored. If your room upgrade is already showing and you print off the confirmation, you MIGHT get them to honor that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.