Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anywhere Challenge: Win up to 60,000 points over the next 8 weeks

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by PixieStyx
And these people asking make up the rules now???? I want to see the points posts. Post on people!
There is a thread for talking about points. It was separated to keep this thread ON TOPIC, i.e. a discussion about the location.

If you want to talk about points that's fine, do it in the appropriate thread.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:58 am

Programs: IHG; DL, JB, SW, UA, US, Ch, Crl, HzG, EmC, AmtGR regular; TSA Disp Tinfoil
Originally Posted by mech11
OK, LETS GET THE FISTS FLYING,,,THIS IS MORE LIKE IT...
I'm trying. Believe me, I'm trying.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:11 am

Hope IC has them licensed.

Originally Posted by CokeandTaco
The overwhelming majority of photos have all come from shutterstock since week one. Photos found on other websites were probably bought/used from shutterstock as well. The fact that 2 or 3 (or more) exact photos have not been found (yet) on shutterstock this week is a real departure from previous weeks. We should keep this in mind for the last 2 weeks.
I hope the Marketing people at IC were smart enough to license all their images. Could you imagine if they just picked an image off the internet and used it, and then the photographer sued them for copyright infringement?
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat Amb, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Plat., Diamond Club,
Originally Posted by jrc35jrc35
Someone kept saying Kauai on the first day, I wish I had listened! I never thought they would go with another location in the US.
Me too, spent most of the week looking at photos of Tasmania and the Bay of Islands in New Zealand....

At least if they come up in the next couple of weeks I'll be prepared

Thanks everyone for all the great work...
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:28 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by lkar
Seems pretty clear at this point that anyone who doesn't enter just "Kauai, Hawaii, USA" is one of the following:

1) Convinced that additional specific information doesn't disqualify your answer. (Probably true.)

2) Already put that as an answer.

3) A contrarian.
4) Suspicious that such a simple answer would be correct, given the difficulty of previous weeks. If this week's contest was during Week 1, w/o any precedents, I think a lot of us would have guessed Kauai on the first day.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by jrc35jrc35
I don’t understand why you want the thread to reach 500,000? Views, I can see, but posts?
Whatever, it looks like it's going to make it to 500,000 views very shortly!
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:38 am

Programs: AA, BA, Delta, SPG, Hilton
People are suggesting to spell Hawaii out, while the challenge site shows abbreviation for Washington state as WA USA. It is also strange that state and country are stated without a comma.

What to do? ((
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:48 am

Programs: priority club
Originally Posted by dazbear
spelunking???

Is that a common word in the US? Apparently it is what us Brits call potholing.

I am beginning to feel there is a bit of a US bias in these clues! TV programmes that we have never heard of, colloquial language!!!

Definition of SPELUNKER
: one who makes a hobby of exploring and studying caves
Origin of SPELUNKER
Latin spelunca cave, from Greek spēlynx; akin to Greek spēlaion cave
First Known Use: 1942

I have heard the term used in England but basically it is just a made up fancy term for caving.

I wonder what the correct term is for those that spend excessive time searching for the answers to Priority Club competitions?
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by lkar
Let's assume it is a picture of the bay taken from the St. Regis end of the beach. It sure does look like it. St. Regis Princeville is a hotel anywhere member, but it's a starwood property so it's a direct competitor of Priority Club. Haven't most of the locations so far had at least one priority club location, not simply hotel anywhere properties?

I don't think there are any Priority Club properties on Kauai, which would make it a somwhat suprising answer. But perhaps they are trying to emphasize the fact that you really can book competitors with your PC points. Was the picture from the resort in Sabah a priority club? I mean whichever resort had the massage table picture that was used for the contest -- was that a priority club resort or just a hotel anywhere resort?
It was from Shangri-La Tanjung Aru Resort, which is a Hotels Anywhere property, but not a PC resort. I did not find any PC properties in Sabah.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:50 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ellylex
People are suggesting to spell Hawaii out, while the challenge site shows abbreviation for Washington state as WA USA. It is also strange that state and country are stated without a comma.

What to do? ((
HAWAII spelled out all the way!

If you look in the other thread about points, you will see that at least 7 people claim to not haven gotten points for AK (instead of Alaska). There are no reports of not getting points for Alaska spelled out so you can't go wrong w/that. Yes, the example they give suggests that HI would work, and people are complaining to PC, but in the meantime Hawaii is the risk-free way to go.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by DealDetective
It was from Shangri-La Tanjung Aru Resort, which is a Hotels Anywhere property, but not a PC resort. I did not find any PC properties in Sabah.
Thanks. Good to know.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by mymsman
Definition of SPELUNKER
: one who makes a hobby of exploring and studying caves
Origin of SPELUNKER
Latin spelunca cave, from Greek spēlynx; akin to Greek spēlaion cave
First Known Use: 1942

I have heard the term used in England but basically it is just a made up fancy term for caving.

I wonder what the correct term is for those that spend excessive time searching for the answers to Priority Club competitions?
There is a word for it: xenodocheionology (look it up)

So we are xenodocheionologists?
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:03 pm

Cool

Originally Posted by mech11
Don't worry dear, anything you cann't understand we will transcribe into English for you, seening that you are from a different land.
he he - we did invent it!
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA, Airmiles, BMI, HH (Gold), Hyatt (Plat), IHG (Plat Amb), Marriott (Silver), A Club
Today I put KAUAI ISLAND, HAWAII, USA. adding the island bit just in case there is a town/area/lake/mountain etc. also called KAUAI somewhere in Hawaii.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by morepork
I went with Kauai today; thanks to DealDetective whose suggestion that the white pixels on the rock could be a painted sign, common in Kauai, tipped the balance from Tasmania to Kauai. Cant hardly wait for the next clue.
Originally Posted by cutnana
Based on your post yesterday I submitted Kauai. I was too tired to thank you as I am in Europe so I am doing it this morning. I thought that you are right and that the "keep off" is in the middle of the rocks. It is amazing that you found it!

If you are right, PC raised the bar in this game.
Originally Posted by vincemash
wow....it does look like DealDetective was really on to something here yesterday

amazing sleuthing work IMHO^
Glad I was able to help I guess I didn't have rocks in my head, after all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.