Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Center (after refurbishment) [master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crowne Plaza Amsterdam City Center (after refurbishment) [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2010, 11:43 pm

Programs: American Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Gold
I'm looking to see if anyone has any recent updates on the status of this hotel - refurb. updates, as well as any recent elite privileges given on stays. I'm a Plat. AMB looking to stay either here or Amstel next week. Any recent input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 8, 2010, 4:34 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I have completed a stay this week and will give a detailed report
In the coming week
Old May 9, 2010, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I have completed a stay this week and will give a detailed report
In the coming week
My stay is in two days, and I still have the chance to change to either hotel. Anyway I can just get a quick opinion about the CP?
Old May 9, 2010, 11:56 pm

Programs: priority club Plat Amb; Air France Silver; Virgin Silver
I to am staying at this hotel in a couple of weks for wedding anniversary. Any hints and tips greatly appreciated.
Old May 10, 2010, 3:22 am

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, Flying Blue Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I stayed at this hotel in Nov. 2009. I was only gold amb. So didn't expect anything extra. I booked a 2 bedroom suit at friends and family rate and got that. I think this is the highest room cat. In advance I asked for an extra bed and was told it would cost me ... Don't remember, but remember I thought it was too much. I asked about it because I was staying with a friend and thought we could have one room each.

When we arrived I asked the front-desk about the extra bed and were told: "No, no, no, the bed is of course free fir you!" The suit was huge. The bedroom had a bathroom with shower and tub and the living-room had sofa, a big table with chairs and a toilet. There were Nespresso-machine too. We were very happy with the suit, but don't know how the other rooms are.

The club-lounge.... Well... It is not a place where you would like to "hang out". It's on the first floor and small. Breakfast is continental but we asked to have breakfast in the restaurant and had no problem with that. I remember I liked the breakfast, but can't tell you the exact dishes.

The only real food that was provided in the club-lounge was the breakfast. Other than that there were coffe, tea and mineralwaree all day and I think I remember that the alcohol was out all day too... I might remember wrong.

I liked the hotel and the staff were very friendly. It's not very luxurious, but a nice 4*. The location is also good!
Old May 10, 2010, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by broms
My stay is in two days, and I still have the chance to change to either hotel. Anyway I can just get a quick opinion about the CP?
My pleasure to assist
It was particullarly chilly for Mid May in Amsterdam this week
I canceled the Pulitzer and my booking at the Amstel InterCon and not sorry just based on location alone.There were a number of positive aspects experienced during my stay at the CP Amsterdam that I will expand on at a later date.
Of importance the renovation has certainly created some strong appeal the hotel had never previously had before.
One upside clearly worth mentioning is the hotel has fairly quiet rooms thanks to a thoughtful second insulated pane of glass over the outer windows.This has been a problem even at some of Amsterdam's most celebrated hotels.The Crowne Plaza folks were wise to take this problem head on ^

On a more sensitive topic
No longer do Platinum members have access to the club lounge
At first I thought this was a huge disappointment however after further consideration I think the hotel may have a fair solution at present.
However it won't please all especially past guests who prefer or had access previously.
The lounge was simply to small as I understand it for the volume of those that desire it and to enjoy comfortably.Priority Club IMO is amongst the weakest programs for spelling out /providing great benefits to it's members systemwide.
Thankfully the hotel has taken a proactive action to keep guest satisfaction higher then most other PC properties.
Club access for all guests is now 55 Euros which will certainly discourage some.Unfortunatley I can not comment on lounge value/quality currently on my most recent stay as I didn't experience it nor did I tour it.

On the brighter side in house Platinum Recognition
Platinum members currently now receive the following in house benefits
A welcome gift
Voucher for 1 free drinker stay at Dorrius Bar
20 percent discount on all telephone calls made from the room
20 percent discount on wireless and wired Internet
20 percent on valet parking
Voucher for one free breakfast for one per stay
50 per cent discount on breakfast during the rest of your stay
Breakfast price for buffet is 25 euros for one

There is also a benefit recognition for Gold PC Members as well in house that has been customized

There is a very nice private check in desk area left of the front desk area for Platinum and Gold members to have seated and more comfortable check in :^
Something I would like to see more Priority Club properties offer
Rooms are highly satisfactory have thoughtful touches including luxury large bath sheets in the bathroom.Fitness center leaves something to be desired.Any other questions fire away.Have a great stay in Amsterdam

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; May 10, 2010 at 10:51 am
Old May 10, 2010, 12:49 pm

My pleasure to assist
It was particullarly chilly for Mid May in Amsterdam this week
I canceled the Pulitzer and my booking at the Amstel InterCon and not sorry just based on location alone.There were a number of positive aspects experienced during my stay at the CP Amsterdam that I will expand on at a later date.
Of importance the renovation has certainly created some strong appeal the hotel had never previously had before.
One upside clearly worth mentioning is the hotel has fairly quiet rooms thanks to a thoughtful second insulated pane of glass over the outer windows.This has been a problem even at some of Amsterdam's most celebrated hotels.The Crowne Plaza folks were wise to take this problem head on ^

On a more sensitive topic
No longer do Platinum members have access to the club lounge
At first I thought this was a huge disappointment however after further consideration I think the hotel may have a fair solution at present.
However it won't please all especially past guests who prefer or had access previously.
The lounge was simply to small as I understand it for the volume of those that desire it and to enjoy comfortably.Priority Club IMO is amongst the weakest programs for spelling out /providing great benefits to it's members systemwide.
Thankfully the hotel has taken a proactive action to keep guest satisfaction higher then most other PC properties.
Club access for all guests is now 55 Euros which will certainly discourage some.Unfortunatley I can not comment on lounge value/quality currently on my most recent stay as I didn't experience it nor did I tour it.

On the brighter side in house Platinum Recognition
A welcome gift

There is also a benefit recognition for Gold PC Members as well in house that has been customized

There is a very nice private check in desk area left of the front desk area for Platinum and Gold members to have seated and more comfortable check in :^
Something I would like to see more Priority Club properties offer
Rooms are highly satisfactory have thoughtful touches including luxury large bath sheets in the bathroom.Fitness center leaves something to be desired.Any other questions fire away.Have a great stay in Amsterdam
Great great, thanks for the quick review. I'm debating between the Amstel and the CP, but it looks as thought I'll have all my luggage with me, so CP it is. I'll barely be in the room anyways. Lounge sounded somewhat disappointing anyways, so I'm not missing anything.

My stay is also going to be a reward night, so I'll make sure to come back and let all know how they treat reward stays (same benefits as rate-payers or not, etc).
Old May 10, 2010, 2:53 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, Flying Blue Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I forgot to mention that we had dinner in the restaurant and I can highly recomend that. Both the food and the service was excellent.

Xxx
Old May 10, 2010, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by no-backpacker
I forgot to mention that we had dinner in the restaurant and I can highly recomend that. Both the food and the service was excellent.

Xxx
Thanks for your food and beverage feedback that is helpful to others
Many folks fail to share their dining experience instead focusing on point and mile bonuses and of course the recognition and overall stay experience
It would be helpful if you have the time and opportunity to share what you had and what made it excellent in particular so many that choose to dine in house can also enjoy the specialties of the house
Is the menu Dutch cuisine?
The upside is there is the opportunity to earn points while dining ^

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; May 19, 2010 at 10:30 am
Old May 10, 2010, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by broms
Great great, thanks for the quick review. I'm debating between the Amstel and the CP, but it looks as thought I'll have all my luggage with me, so CP it is. I'll barely be in the room anyways. Lounge sounded somewhat disappointing anyways, so I'm not missing anything.

My stay is also going to be a reward night, so I'll make sure to come back and let all know how they treat reward stays (same benefits as rate-payers or not, etc).
Agree exactly with your assessment on the lounge though I still should have tried it for one day.
I want to be clear that in no way can rooms compare to the generous large suites and luxurious bathrooms that the IC Amstel typically upgrades Royal Ambassadors too
Nor can the staff deliver the levels of personal polished more formal service found at the Amstel

This is an excellent 3 star plus property that with some work could be a solid 4
star it is not a 5 star property nor does it pretend to be
There is promise here thanks to what word on the street here is dedicated,caring management.
That comes from highly reliable sources
In other words to be clear more benefits may be forthcoming with added services to bring value to PC members

That said the trade off here compares to the IC is a new brand standard that is more up to date
Flat screen televisions and in room touches that you should appreciate as I did
I loved the fact that I never needed a taxi anytime during my stay and my
time became more productive and cost effective
One may choose to use the below lobby businesss center computers and printers free of charge which is fine for checking email
The computers and ink refills in the printer could use some improvements and better attention
I filled that out on a comment card upon departure
Was impressed to receive a sincere response today in follow up that they will be looking into the concerns
Crowne Plaza Amsterdam rising?

I do want to share that this property treated me this well on reward points
Which leads me to recommend that all PC members should support this hotel on revenue or reward points
Many here know that the PC program allows hotels to treat guests poorly on reward.This is not the case with this property.I did request an upgraded room at this property at check in and my check in agent at the elite desk happily complied
based on overall consistent room standard here I don't think you will be unhappy even in a regular room

Delighted to give up my frree movie and mini bar benefit
I don't need a door man twirling the door in the front lobby to complete my satisfaction as much as I admire the Amstel IC on number of levels
Glad to have experienced it
Greatly look forward to you sharing your experience to see how it compares
If I could make one other suggestion if for any reason you don't find something to your liking feel free to contact the front office manager he shook my hand upon departure and seems interested in PC member satisfaction
Cheers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; May 19, 2010 at 10:33 am
Old May 10, 2010, 8:52 pm

Thanks for your food and beverage feedback that is helpful to others
Many folks fail to share their dining experience instead focusing on point and mile bonuses and of course the recognition and overall stay experience
It would be helpful if you have the time and opportunity to share what you had and what made it excellent in particular so many that choose to dine in house can also enjoy the specialties of the house
My take was it was Dutch cuisine?
of course there is the opportunity to earn points while dining ^
To be very honest, I don't remember what I ate (it's 6 months since my stay). All I remember was that we were very happy we chose to eat at the hotel. Speaking about points... I payed with cash, never said my room-number still I got points for it!

As I said, club-lounge was not that good. Free alcohol and mineral-water, but that was it. No food without breakfast (at least in the weekend). I would prefere food over alcohol.... But that is me.

Xxx
Old May 10, 2010, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
A welcome gift
Thanks for the report ^

20% of all those ridiculously over priced services is ok if you tend to use them I guess but who uses a hotel room phone these days?

The Breakfast is the nice benefit here though would be nice if it was offered per room rather than per person (basically forcing one to shell out for one breakfast if there are two of you and you want to use the voucher)

25 Euro for breakfast is the standard price correct?
Old May 10, 2010, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Yet there is promise here thanks to what word on the street here is deeply
concerned and dedicated management.That comes from highly reliable sources
Old May 11, 2010, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by clubman
Thanks for the report ^

20% of all those ridiculously over priced services is ok if you tend to use them I guess but who uses a hotel room phone these days?

The Breakfast is the nice benefit here though would be nice if it was offered per room rather than per person (basically forcing one to shell out for one breakfast if there are two of you and you want to use the voucher)

25 Euro for breakfast is the standard price correct?
Thanks for the kind words of support. It is a pleasure to get the Priority Club community up to date on details

That is correct that is the standard rate before any discount is applied
This includes all hot and cold items,beverages and also includes bottled still and sparkling water which was the only hotel of my days in Amsterdam that correctly had chilled bottles on the buffet table for guests to help themselves without having to ask and chase down servers
Much like the First Class British Airways Executive club lounges
As a water drinker I appreciated this during my stay

The one thing that was not made clear to me at anytime during my stay is if there is a continental breakfast offering for a lower cost other than the 25 Euro cost
That was made clear in every hotel I visited more recently in Europe that might be say 20 euros instead like the local Marriott
By the time I was checking out I was first learning all that the hotel offered

The hotel could probably work harder in a welcome letter email before arrival
Pity those that have a one nighter here and have to be clear on all the details
I too almost canceled this stay prior to my arrival as I could not get clear on
the level of cooperation the hotel had been offering Priority Club members

It is my pleasure to report/inform the hotel can be recommended
I too tend not to use the hotel phones either however had I known in advance
Might have considered using the service at a few select times during my stay
Unfortunately I only received the benefit information at checkout
it was originally recited verbally by a lovely elite check in agent
However that didn't take very long to forget coming off a long delayed
Transatlantic flight and all the enjoyable distractions in Amsterdam that make it such a wonderful place to work or visit on Holiday/leisure

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; May 19, 2010 at 10:36 am
Old May 11, 2010, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by clubman
Please accept my apologies for some of my jet lag communication
I have edited to hopefully clarify the incoherent statement written while sober
Which may be the problem here
Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.