Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reward night reservation cancellation

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2011, 5:51 am

Programs: IHG, CC, HH, AF, AA, UA
Originally Posted by mnredfox
For any issues with last minute cancellations (awards or $$), I always call the hotel and ask nicely. You never know who you might get. Be nice, it helps them be in a nicer mood too.
I'm confronted to a similar situation (trying to cancel an award night after the deadline), except the hotel (HI Marrakech) does not budge:
- They first told me to send an e-mail (a week ago), which they didn't answer to
- When calling the hotel's reservations desk, they now tell me they can't cancel reservations made using points

Is there any way to know what the penalty (points and/or cash) would be if I were to cancel that reservation ?

Otherwise, we may end up having to go anyway, even though that would not be our first choice.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yann
I'm confronted to a similar situation (trying to cancel an award night after the deadline), except the hotel (HI Marrakech) does not budge:
- They first told me to send an e-mail (a week ago), which they didn't answer to
- When calling the hotel's reservations desk, they now tell me they can't cancel reservations made using points

Is there any way to know what the penalty (points and/or cash) would be if I were to cancel that reservation ?

Otherwise, we may end up having to go anyway, even though that would not be our first choice.
If you cancel outside the guidelines of what is stated in the reservation, expect to lose your points or pay 1 night's rack rate.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 1:24 am

If you cancel outside the guidelines of what is stated in the reservation, expect to lose your points or pay 1 night's rack rate.
OK, but while I'm willing to give up my points, I'm not willing to pay rack rate.

Can anyone tell from experience which of the 2 that would be (on a reward night) ?
Old Dec 25, 2011, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, but while I'm willing to give up my points, I'm not willing to pay rack rate.

Can anyone tell from experience which of the 2 that would be (on a reward night) ?
The hotel does not get reimbursed by IHG on a no-show/late cancel if processed properly by the hotel. The points are returned, and the member pays a one night penalty. This is the official policy, but exceptions can be made.

My recommendation in the event of needing to cancel past the cancellation deadline is to change the date of the reward reservation to some future date when you might need it. If you end up not needing it then, then cancel before the new cancellation deadline.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hotels are not supposed to make changes to reward reservations. If they do, the reward certificate (internal) may get detached from the reward reservation and the reservation may be inadvertently converted to a paid stay. Changes should go through PCR. I'd recommend pushing the reservation out to a new date.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 11:24 am

That worked perfectly, thanks a lot !
Old Dec 25, 2011, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC

Good question, I wouldn't be willing to give up either. Perhaps a call to PC will find the answer?
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:23 am

Good question, I wouldn't be willing to give up either. Perhaps a call to PC will find the answer?
For future reference, here's what the CSR told me when I asked: I would be paying the price of the room on the day the reward night was booked, though she was not able to inform me of the amount (which made it impossible for me to verify her claim).
Old Dec 26, 2011, 8:35 pm

For future reference, here's what the CSR told me when I asked: I would be paying the price of the room on the day the reward night was booked, though she was not able to inform me of the amount (which made it impossible for me to verify her claim).
Still ambiguous to me, if it's up to the hotel the hotel could very well choose rack rate for its own interest.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by soitgoes
The hotel does not get reimbursed by IHG on a no-show/late cancel if processed properly by the hotel. The points are returned, and the member pays a one night penalty. This is the official policy, but exceptions can be made.

My recommendation in the event of needing to cancel past the cancellation deadline is to change the date of the reward reservation to some future date when you might need it. If you end up not needing it then, then cancel before the new cancellation deadline.

Does this still work, if you change the date you will get
an "Updated Reservation Confirmation" with a new reservation #
The account history will say: "Reward Night stay reversal" and
another post "Redeemed points for Reward Night "

Last edited by Hannibal Lecter; Nov 29, 2014 at 2:29 am
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
For future reference this still seems to work.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 2:20 pm

Does anyone know what the policy is concerning canceling a Free Anniversary Night (via through IHG Rewards Card)? I canceled my reservation at the Intercontinental Mag Mile in Chicago, but it still shows my Free Anniversary Night as being used. I did not get it credited it back.. does anyone know if theres usually a delay? I hope I didnt just lose my night
Old Apr 6, 2015, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I have cancelled (online), the available credit returned to my account instantly. If, though, the expiration date has passed at the time of cancellation, I think the night may be lost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.