Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Hanoi Westlake Vietnam Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Does the hotel offer complimentary shuttle service to town?
Not when I was there - long queue of taxis.

It's one of the few places where I'd choose the hilton. But if you're going on pts break, then go for it. Taxis to downtown are cheap
Old Nov 22, 2011, 3:00 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by wobbly wings
It's one of the few places where I'd choose the hilton. But if you're going on pts break, then go for it. Taxis to downtown are cheap
I currently have the Hilton booked at $160/night all in. I would have access to the lounge at the Hilton, so free breakfast and evening snacks, plus hot beverages and cold drinks all day. I've stayed there before and know it's a very convenient location. Will I regret making the frugal choice, the IC at the 5K pointsbreaks? (I'm RA, but have little hope of courtesies being extended on a PB stay.)
Old Nov 22, 2011, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Will I regret making the frugal choice, the IC at the 5K pointsbreaks? (I'm RA, but have little hope of courtesies being extended on a PB stay.)
I had a similar choice to make when the IC Hanoi was on pointbreaks two years ago, and did not regret it a bit. It is a very relaxing property which I would consider even at the standard rate; at 5K it is a steal!

As mentioned, taxis are cheap and those summoned by the hotel are clean and honest. Unless the convenience of walking back to your room for a rest and free snacks during the day is paramount, give the IC a try.

FWIW I was given a 4F 'deluxe Westlake view' room on PB, using orphaned points from a relative's no-status PC account. The floorplan showed 12 such full lake view rooms (1 a junior suite), 12 courtyard view rooms across the hallway, 21 partial lakeview rooms, and a large lakefront suite at the 'foot' of the T shaped building. The view was one of the most soothing I've had from a city hotel anywhere.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 7:42 pm
Community Director Emerita

Thanks, monahos, that's very reassuring.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by no7agency
How much did the airport transfer cost?
Taxi from the airport is fixed, should be no more than $18USD

Just came back from a stay at Hanoi IC. The property is full of Chinese tour groups. Stayed using the 5K PB, got a lakeview room on the 3rd floor as an Ambassador. Small plate of fruits in the room at check-in, bottles water replenished during the stay. No welcome note or anything from the GM. Got a tour of the suite and offered to upgrade for $200++, which was declined. Talked to the front desk manager, a native Hanoian, very nice guy, he offered to change us to a nicer room which we declined because we didn't want to move. Taxi to town runs between $2-4 each ride. The Sheraton next door has the same owner as the IC's. Visited the Sheraton which is older and has sort of mildew smell.

Last edited by imm2b; Jan 5, 2012 at 2:25 pm
Old Nov 23, 2011, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Btw: just got confirmation from the hotel that RA benefits don't apply for reward stays. Well, that kills the 5k deal for me.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:21 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Wife and I stayed one night at the IC Westlake in January 2010. We took a taxi there from the Hanoi airport and left the next day by taxi to the south Hanoi bus station for, let's say, a more adventurous trip, with the chickens and what-not to elsewhere in Vietnam.

Back on topic, we do stay at luxury properties, too, including IC's and Conrads. Out of all of them, this IC had the most perfectly trained, hospitable, and service-orientated staff that I have ever seen anywhere anytime.

I would definitely go back there again, even at a regular rate. For the record, as a plat (not ambassador) on a paid stay, we got a "minor" upgrade to one of their lake side bungalows. An amazingly wonderful experience -- again I am speaking of the staff. Hotel ain't shabby either.

Yes, one will have to taxi from the hotel to get anywhere.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by El_Duderito
Btw: just got confirmation from the hotel that RA benefits don't apply for reward stays. Well, that kills the 5k deal for me.
Yep. My email exchanges with the property confirmed this. Everything is an up sell at this place, Club access is US$60.00++ per day for one person and US$90.00++ per day for 2 persons. Upgrade to the Deluxe Westlake view is US$40++ per room per night. Roll-away bed is US$40++ per day including breakfast and US$30++per day without breakfast

It's unfortunate how this property wants to nickel and dime for everything. So much goodwill could be gained had they not do this. If elite benefits are important to you, I would recommend the Hilton. There will be another IC option in Hanoi soon, the IC Landmark. I also hope Hyatt will have a present in Hanoi soon.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmbo®/Oyster/B&Q
I havent bothered checking rates presuming a mere net 5k points clinches the deal....even sans the major RA bennies.At least you do get fruit,late check out,probably not a bad room ......& unofficial qualifying stays
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:05 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
Originally Posted by imm2b
Yep. My email exchanges with the property confirmed this.
Thanks for the information ^
I guess I'll just cancel my pointbreaks stays and book a F&F Club room instead. Much better value I suppose.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 6:32 am

Programs: AA 2MM+; China Southern Gold VIP, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador
I went to IC Hanoi in Dec 2010. It is a nice time at Christmas, beautiful tree displayed made of the straw hats. Received lovely Christmas ornaments as a hotel gift.

Was upgraded to a larger room, while very spacious it was not a great view. Upgrade included club access. The best part of club access was the breakfast-- they had a buffet of the usual continental sorts, but then a menu to choose from, and the eggs benedict were fantastic.

If you go, highly recommend the Tho Ha village tour... we were the only tourists there (which is a common comment if you read the reviews). A definitely highlight of the trip.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 9:21 am

Does anyone have any experience as an RA booking a higher category room here? If I book a suite, any chance of a great upgrade, or is it the type of hotel that always gives RA the same type of upgrade, no matter what they book?

Thanks!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:33 am

Programs: IC RA, KrisFlyer, Evergreen
Originally Posted by afraidofheights
Does anyone have any experience as an RA booking a higher category room here? If I book a suite, any chance of a great upgrade, or is it the type of hotel that always gives RA the same type of upgrade, no matter what they book?

Thanks!
I stay at the IC Hanoi a lot and as a RA, I always book Deluxe Room and get the suite. If you were to book a Lotus Suite, I guess they will give you a Westlake Suite since that's the highest category besides the Presidential Suite. Not sure if they will upgrade you to the Prez Suite if you book the Westlake Suite though, if you do try it let me know the results!
Old Apr 25, 2012, 5:31 am
Suspended

F&F Rate

I assume they honor Ambassador benefits when using F&F rates.

What about points, I assume not. Probably not worth the small savings ?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I have awarded myself two days as a tourist in Hanoi. First visit. Naturally enough i looked at he IC for accommodation, but it looks quite away from old town centre. Is the distance a problem in terms of a long commute and dodgy taxi drivers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.