Search

InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2009, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by markdg
Also, note that A'dam is definitely a city of two halves - the seedy red light side, and the cycling, sandwich eating, coffee drinking side
Well I wouldn't call them halves. The seedy parts cover maybe 10% of the center of the city. Less than 5% of the overall city. And you could also divide up the non-seedy tourist areas and the areas where only locals go. That's where you can find me.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 12:07 pm

Programs: HH Diamond,Ambassador Club,Delta FF,USAIR FF
Amstel vs CP

Amstel vs CP. This would be a 4 night honeymoon stay for daughter b4 going to Rome. She would be using my husbands priority points for stay. He does have platinum status currently - not no RA. Our daughter does not have any status. We had planned to put under our husbands name with her as a guest? We could always get him ambassador status? Or if better could get under her name . They will also be staying at IC in Rome. We have both IC and Hilton points as options. I really love the idea of having her stay someplace special, but not if it would be too difficult to get to town centre.
Im really glad that there is other dining option nearby. The bike is a great idea.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Originally Posted by kirkpt
Amstel vs CP. This would be a 4 night honeymoon stay for daughter b4 going to Rome. She would be using my husbands priority points for stay. He does have platinum status currently - not no RA. Our daughter does not have any status. We had planned to put under our husbands name with her as a guest? We could always get him ambassador status? Or if better could get under her name . They will also be staying at IC in Rome. We have both IC and Hilton points as options. I really love the idea of having her stay someplace special, but not if it would be too difficult to get to town centre.
Im really glad that there is other dining option nearby. The bike is a great idea.
I just returned from the Amstel this morning. It is remarkable. This is my second stay in the last three months. I won't consider staying at another hotel in Amsterdam.

I'd recommend upgrading to Ambassador. If you care about suites, it is worth considering acquiring a RA referral. They upgrade RAs to suites even on award stays.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 1:19 am

Programs: BA, FB, LH; PC/IC, HH, MR
kirkpt, I agree with jgsx - the best bet for an upgrade for your daughter would be to enrol her in Ambassador club, as she is guaranteed a one level upgrade in ICs (and you get the BOGO certificate that she could use at some point - which more than pays for the membership anyway)

Again, as jgsx states, if you can find an RA referral voucher, that would be superb, as they treat RAs very well (check out the first post of this thread to see how amazing the free minibar would be too!)

(OT- I've stayed at the Hilton Amsterdam. It's perfectly pleasant, but I'd say your points will go MUCH further at the Amstel - especially cash+points - at that level, it's an absolute steal, given that the rooms are generally at least €300)

Last edited by markdg; Aug 24, 2009 at 1:27 am Reason: found where the minibar info was
Old Aug 24, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: HH Diamond,Ambassador Club,Delta FF,USAIR FF
Amsterdam Amstel- ambassador

Will we need to get the ambassador in her name? This will probally be the only travel she does. But will have about 8-9 nights in IC on points between Rome and Amstel. If it is in my husbands name - could she use or would it be best to go ahead and put in her name?
Does the ambassador status give upgrades at other priority club properties or only Intercontinentals?
Thanks again for the help.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 10:34 am

Okay, this is going slightly OT now, but just for completeness...

Check out the thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...er-thread.html
which will give a lot if not all of the details you need to know (and the other stickies on here)

1. Husband or Daughter Ambassador? It depends on your husband's travelling habits (and whether you can talk him into going away to ICs with you ). If he ever stays in ICs, it's definitely worth him getting Amb status as it will give him a 1-level upgrade in ICs for each stay (and he may eventually get invited to be an RA - currently thought to be approximately 50-60 nights in IHG properties, and at least 3 different ICs.). If he never stays in ICs, and has no intention of it, then you may as well sign your daughter up. If you sign up your husband, you should be able to get your daughter his benefits, if you assign her as the second guest in the room. However, strictly, benefits are only for the card owner
(I am rather confused though, as your status says "Ambassador" already...)

HOWEVER, signing up your daughter, and emailing the hotel directly and with the "it's their honeymoon" line, I would guess would give better results for those 8 nights (I'm not married, so haven't tried it, so can't say for definite - but it could be worth a shot)

2. Ambassador only gets upgrades in ICs (and gets you Gold PC - almost worthless). PC Plat only gets upgrades in non-ICs (although you might get some recognition in an IC... not much though)

Hope that helps you decide what to do
Old Aug 29, 2009, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Recent experiences Amstel as Ambassador (not Royal)??

Found a weekend rate at the Amstel of EU380/night for a "river view" room including breakfast. Seems like a good rate (and I might use my BOGO, making it a great rate!). What can Ambassador expect at the Amstel these days?
Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:06 am

As Ambassador we got upgraded to the highest floor and a large room. Internet was free (25 euro/day). The front desk agent gave us a river view King initially, but didnt have any two bed rooms with river view.

This is THE most memoriable hotel I have ever stayed at. It is a palace from every aspect. Check out the lounge, it is absolutely amazing!

I won't be able to stay without the FN promotion. But it is definately worth 380EURO/nite especially if you could use your 2 for 1 nite gift certificate.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 3:29 am

Amstel club?

I don't see any mention of a club in this thread and have not been able to find info using search. Can someone please confirm whether the Amstel has a club? and if so what the entry criteria are? (complimentary to RA's? supplementary charge of x?)
Thanks
Old Sep 5, 2009, 6:10 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by Banie
I don't see any mention of a club in this thread and have not been able to find info using search. Can someone please confirm whether the Amstel has a club? and if so what the entry criteria are? (complimentary to RA's? supplementary charge of x?)
Thanks
No club.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 4:25 am

....but if you're an RA, you'll be more than happy with the free mini-bar...!
Old Feb 23, 2010, 3:39 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR/LTG
Hi there,

I've booked this hotel over easter for 4 nights, starting thursday.

First night, i've redeemed 40000 points, and been allocated a City View Room

Second, third and fourth nights i've booked a luxury weekend rate, with a Exec River View Room, and breakfast is part of the 450E/night rate.

I booked this as an ambassador, with the intention of using my BOGO certificate.

I've now emailed the concierge to inform them that i've been promoted to RA, and what sort of upgrade I could expect, and to confirm that the mini bar would be free for me ( I would not expect it to be free on my reward night )

Will they upgrade my reward night booking, and give me the same room for the whole stay? What is the two step upgrade from an exec river view room?

I've had no reply yet....

How do you guys think this will play out?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:03 pm

shuttle to amstel

What is the best way to get from AMS airport to Amstel? I saw mention of shuttle, but did not find onfo on Amstel website about it? Is the train too complicated for first time in Amsterdam?
Any advise appreciated.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 4:33 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Member, Marriott
The fastes way to Amsterdam is by train. Train is driving to Central Station every 10 min. You want to drive comfortable, travel 1 class. Take a taxi from Central Station.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by kirkpd
What is the best way to get from AMS airport to Amstel? I saw mention of shuttle, but did not find onfo on Amstel website about it? Is the train too complicated for first time in Amsterdam?
Any advise appreciated.
Train from Schiphol Airport is dead easy to central train station.

You then have to get the metro (or taxi) to the Amstel.

I think you can also take the tram but the metro is pretty easy so we used that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.